Upgrade path for a Grado fan?
Aug 18, 2010 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

luvs2squizz

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I followed the trend and got me a sr-60i..well...now I'm hooked! They could have less harsh highs, they could be comfier, they could be made of solid gold 
wink_face.gif
 but they're amazing phones and I find myself wanting that amazing Grado sound whenever I hear music, and I want to get deeper into the hifi world

That said, I'm not sure which one to grab! 
confused_face_2.gif
 Right now I'm looking at the sr225(i) for my birthday next month and a udac for christmas (or maybe LD Q v2 if it's out) but I've read that the ms1(i) is comparable and at half the price it seems like a deal comparable to the sr-60i's value. The problem is will an ms1 be enough of a bump to satisfy the hifi fever for more than a couple weeks? Is it really comparable to the sr225 at that high price point?

edit: favorite genres are rock, metal, and electronica

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 69
If you love the SR-60, then you might want to think about saving up and going directly for a RS-1. I know they cost a bit, but most enthusiasts end up with a RS-1 in the end. You'll save money going directly for one instead of hopping around with other models.

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 69
why don't you buy several cheaper headphones and experiment? Grados dont really work for metal and electronica. They don't have that bass kick for electronica nor the deep bass to make you feel the music is surrounding you. You also think their highs bare on harsh. I don't see how that works with sibilant metal and electronica.

I would recommend Denons, Ultrasone, Audio Technica

BTW the SR 60, SR 80, and RS 1(only with quiet acoustic and jazz) are the only Grado models that I liked. Just my opinion

Quote:
Well, I followed the trend and got me a sr-60i..well...now I'm hooked! They could have less harsh highs, they could be comfier, they could be made of solid gold 
wink_face.gif
 but they're amazing phones and I find myself wanting that amazing Grado sound whenever I hear music, and I want to get deeper into the hifi world

edit: favorite genres are rock, metal, and electronica

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 69
You may have misinterpreted my post
I am by no means a bass head, I like the tight and punchy bass my sr60i has and they are rarely harsh
I'm going to be trying out some 'phones soon but I'm pretty sure I want to keep going with Grado

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 69
Gotcha. I think the 125 and up start sounding quite different. The highs start reaching higher. The 125 and the 225 sound almost the same without a good amp. The 325 has very polar opinions. The RS series are generally more highly revered

Quote:
You may have misinterpreted my post
I am by no means a bass head, I like the tight and punchy bass my sr60i has and they are rarely harsh
I'm going to be trying out some 'phones soon but I'm pretty sure I want to keep going with Grado

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 69
Wind016, do you think any open cans are good for electronica music? Or as a general rule do you think closed cans are better because they produce more bass?

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 69

Quote:
If you love the SR-60, then you might want to think about saving up and going directly for a RS-1. I know they cost a bit, but most enthusiasts end up with a RS-1 in the end. You'll save money going directly for one instead of hopping around with other models.

+1

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #9 of 69
I prefer closed cans in general and even more so when it comes to electronic music... Closed sound brings in intimacy. Bass has more impact. Vocals are more personal too(that's what really matters to me). I'm surprised how well my AD2000s do with electronic but I still prefer the D7000 over it for around the same price. Plus, I can't enjoy open 'phones completely unless ALL noises are off from outside; a real annoyance... I don't listen to enough bassy music anymore to justify buying a headphone that excels in it though

Aug 22, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #13 of 69
Wind016, thanks for your explanation. I asked because I intend on expanding my collection on a pair of upper midrange/high end cans. The thing is, I enjoy genres like Trance and Jungle/breakbeat. However, like the OP, I am not a bass head. I like a little bass, but not anything overpowering. I also understand that open cans are regarded as having more positives then closed ones. I live alone and dont need any isolation. For example, I am currently looking at the Grado RS1 or Denon AH-7000 for possible purchase.

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #14 of 69
if you like grado, the in between step is the sr225. i think the rs1 strays too far away from the type of music you like because it just fixes up that high end. i also think resolving the speed of the bass is very important too, and, thus, have been quite happy with sr225 for trance like vocal, psy, goa, jungle, dnb. besides, if you ever need more bass, just get deeper cups. i do have a pair of deep cup darth beyers for this reason, but they are reeeally picky about having properly mastered bass line. if it's done poorly, oh boy does it sound like crap.

Aug 24, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #15 of 69
I actually think the Audio Technica AD2000 would be perfect for you then.  It just lacks the insane sparkle that Grados have. Don't completely take my word for it. There's plenty of opinions of AD2000s here. I prefer it far more than the RS1s. It has more natural vocals. Not even close IMO, and there is plenty of bass. The RS1's shrill highs are brought to more realistic levels, but are still bright on the AD2000.

Then again, the Denons are COMPLETELY different. I owned for a few months and sold them due to their recessed mids, but I really miss them. I might purchase another one. Amazing soundstage, bass impact, and bass quality. The mids were not terribly recessed, but I was craving mid emphasis back then. Overall very refined sound

Quote:
Wind016, thanks for your explanation. I asked because I intend on expanding my collection on a pair of upper midrange/high end cans. The thing is, I enjoy genres like Trance and Jungle/breakbeat. However, like the OP, I am not a bass head. I like a little bass, but not anything overpowering. I also understand that open cans are regarded as having more positives then closed ones. I live alone and dont need any isolation. For example, I am currently looking at the Grado RS1 or Denon AH-7000 for possible purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back