Upgrade path for a Grado fan?
Aug 25, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #46 of 69

Quote:
Since we are on the topic of the 225.  What would both you say the RS-1 brings to the table over the 225 out of curiousity.  Details appreciated.

I've owned: SR60, SR80, SR125, SR225i, SR325is, RS1, and now the RS1i. I've also heard on many occasions both the GS1000 and PS1000.

Bang for your buck, no doubt, the SR225i are the sweet spot. I unfortunately "upgraded' from the SR225i to SR325is and did find the treble too "hot" on the SR325s and a lack of comfort due to the heavier metal housings. As well, I've stated a few times that I don't understand the GS1000 and PS1000....they lack the Grado slam with rock/metal...they instead try to cater to classical and jazz fans and for the $$$ there are better headphones out there (IMO of course). But the PS1000s did fix many of the issues I had with the GS1000s.

Now back to your point on what the RS-1 brings to the table that the SR225s don't. First off comfort wise, the wood is incredibly light and the headphones are very comfortable (with both bowls and flats). The bass is quite a bit deeper, more impactful, controlled and defined. The mids seem a bit more forward and clear. The treble is...well...more refined and less peaky. Overall they (RS1/RS1i) are my favourite Grado headphone. But they do cost quite a bit more.

So if you have a sub $200 budget...I would recommend the SR225/SR225i (especially used), but if you can spare the extra $$$, I would jump on the RS1s.

Hope this helps...

Aug 25, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #47 of 69
Thx MH.  Would you say the jump from 225 to RS1 is more or less noticeable than the jump to the 225 from the other models?  I went from the MS1 and 60.  

Aug 25, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #48 of 69
I love my sr325is's,with the right source and  amp they are crystal clear and detailed.I wear them maybe four hrs a day and never find them uncomfortable. I might listen to a pair of RS-1's one day ,but in the UK,they cost more than my last car,so it's best i don't.
tongue.gif

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #49 of 69

Quote:
Thx MH.  Would you say the jump from 225 to RS1 is more or less noticeable than the jump to the 225 from the other models?  I went from the MS1 and 60.  

Yes I would say it say it was more noticeable between the 225 to RS1. I'm sorry your wallet had the hear that.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 25, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #51 of 69
Aug 25, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #53 of 69

Quote:
Are there any notable sonic differences between rs1 'versions'?

There is a massive thread on that here...I don't have the link but the search feature should help. Try sorting for RS1 versions.

Aug 26, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #56 of 69
I'm late to the party but here's my two cents:

IMO the MS1 is better than the SR225.

Grado is generally ok for rock and metal but not for electronica. You want something with more bass for that like the M50.

Quote:
Well, I followed the trend and got me a sr-60i..well...now I'm hooked! They could have less harsh highs, they could be comfier, they could be made of solid gold 
wink_face.gif
 but they're amazing phones and I find myself wanting that amazing Grado sound whenever I hear music, and I want to get deeper into the hifi world

That said, I'm not sure which one to grab! 
confused_face_2.gif
 Right now I'm looking at the sr225(i) for my birthday next month and a udac for christmas (or maybe LD Q v2 if it's out) but I've read that the ms1(i) is comparable and at half the price it seems like a deal comparable to the sr-60i's value. The problem is will an ms1 be enough of a bump to satisfy the hifi fever for more than a couple weeks? Is it really comparable to the sr225 at that high price point?

edit: favorite genres are rock, metal, and electronica

Aug 26, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #57 of 69

There's really no need to reply to someone "just to get the last word in."  Often the "holier than thou" approach is more annoying than the troll approach.
Quote:
See I try to take it offline to PMs but this joker then just publishes my comments back on the thread. So that's the problem.

Aug 26, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #58 of 69

Quote:
There's really no need to reply to someone "just to get the last word in."  Often the "holier than thou" approach is more annoying than the troll approach.

???

Not holier than anyone...just stating the facts.

But thanks for derailing this thread again...nice work.
rolleyes.gif
  <--- that's holier than thou.

Aug 26, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #60 of 69

Quote:
what's about the 325/HF2?

No brainer - HF2 IMO.

The 325 is a step down from the 225 IMO. The treble is too peaky for my ears. The HF2s are my second favourite Grado (next to the RS1) and can be had new for only $429.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back