Upgrade from E7+E9 to Yulong D100?
Aug 16, 2011 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

sregor

Head-Fier
Firstly, I am somewhat of an audiophile neophyte, but trying my hardest everyday to learn as much as possible.

Now, I'd like to upgrade my DAC and AMP. I'm not sure if I should go with a DAC/AMP combo like the Yulong D100 or go for something I really want like a dedicated AMP and dedicated DAC in something like the Bottlehead Crack with Speedball and a HRT Music Streamer II. I really want to keep everything under $500 too.

I will be using the rig with my computer and FLAC files. I will be using HD650, DT880 Pro (250 ohm), and Grado SR325i with this set up. Will I see a significant improvement from the FiiO combo to the Yulong D100 / HRT & Bottlehead? or should I just save my money?

I will also be gaming on this set up a lot too, should I have to worry about any other factors dealing with gaming/music?

Many thanks!

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 23
The D100 is the only piece of audio gear I regret selling. 

It was a significant improvement over my E7+E9 for my D7000 when I had them...and it's my favorite pair with them to this day. 

Yulong packed so many features in there for a great price. Balanced options, etc. It's just a fantastic unit for the price. I bought it blind and it's one of the most 'worth it' purchase I've made in this hobby to date.

Oct 21, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #5 of 23
I upgraded from the E7 to D100. Very very well worth its price. Transparency and detail retrieval went to a new level.

Oct 21, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #6 of 23
I've never regretted buying the D100. However, I thought it was too analytical, maybe even boring with my K701's, so now i mainly use it as a DAC - at which it does an absolutely amazing job.
I've never owned the E7 or E9, but it was a HUGE improvement over my ibasso d2+. Crystal clear and silent as the grave :D

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #7 of 23
Oh god that would be boring. Pairing a super transparent/revealing amp with a super revealing headphone is rough. 

If I still had my D100 it'd be my DAC as well.

Quote:
I've never regretted buying the D100. However, I thought it was too analytical, maybe even boring with my K701's, so now i mainly use it as a DAC - at which it does an absolutely amazing job.
I've never owned the E7 or E9, but it was a HUGE improvement over my ibasso d2+. Crystal clear and silent as the grave :D

Oct 21, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #8 of 23
Anyone knows how the USB DAC portion of the D100 compares to a dedicated one such as the HRT music streamer II? I'm trying to decide between the D100 and a matrix m-stage + HRT MS II.

Oct 21, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #9 of 23
The D100 is a step above HRTs offerings IMO. It shines as a DAC rather than an amp. Imaging is great. It may not be the best for poor recordings as it's pretty revealing, but I like that.

Quote:
Anyone knows how the USB DAC portion of the D100 compares to a dedicated one such as the HRT music streamer II? I'm trying to decide between the D100 and a matrix m-stage + HRT MS II.

Oct 21, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #10 of 23
thanks! any other opinions on the subject from people who have heard both are welcome as well. What about the issues with the d100 that have been reported on this forum? there seems to have some technical problems after some time. I want a product in that price range to last long!

Oct 21, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #11 of 23
Sadly I sold mine fairly quickly (regrettably) so I can't speak to their longevity. 

Quote:
thanks! any other opinions on the subject from people who have heard both are welcome as well. What about the issues with the d100 that have been reported on this forum? there seems to have some technical problems after some time. I want a product in that price range to last long!

Oct 22, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #12 of 23
My D100 never really gets hot. They're still alive after quite a long time as well :p

Oct 22, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #13 of 23

Quote:
My D100 never really gets hot. They're still alive after quite a long time as well :p

Good to hear.  Been eyeing one for awhile but some reviews do suggest longevity issues.

I realize that usually it wouldn't be mentioned if there wasn't an issue, however... so naturally there are always more reviews about the negatives.

Oct 22, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #14 of 23
I had a D100 unit that failed but it got fixed at a cheap price. I would still recommend them and that's what I am using now. Although I think it was because there were times I forgot to turn it off for a few days at a time which caused it. Under normal uses I don't think there's much of an issue. 

I really like mine and find them a very good value.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #15 of 23
They do sound dry and analytical on some tracks though :p
But the details and transparency is excellent.

My D100 is stacked under an m-Stage and its still fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back