Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
Sep 17, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #511 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is some more.
Click picture to see larger.

The mid one is a comparison to iHP140&D10. The right one is a CG comparison to iHP140, the blue one is iHP140.

the Teflon painting looks hot!! looks like gun metallic ~ sweet

and the LCD looks big actually,hopefully there will be firmware update in the future to make better use of it?

Sep 17, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #513 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by testrichard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Teflon painting looks hot!! looks like gun metallic ~ sweet

and the LCD looks big actually,hopefully there will be firmware update in the future to make better use of it?

Oh, I missed it. I like large LCD as well.

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #515 of 1,469
Thanks a lot sasaki for telling me about the user interface! Its good to have choices again. I will wait till januari till I make my final hcoice for replacing my sansa clip with a better mp3-player and then in the future I will use it (whatever it will be) with the jh13 pro, first with the ie8 though.
Hopefully time from order till delivery will have shortened significantly by january.
Greetings, Anouk,

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #516 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the increase price make me imposibble to buy this... arghhh..

The third batch can be even more expensive, though. For the ones who are interested in it. Hurry up

Sep 19, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #517 of 1,469
Sound quality seems to be excellent.
But how about total product quality, except SQ?
No ALAC, short battery life, 32GB limit of SDHC, no gapless, and first of all, the uncertainty of delivery...there seems to be a lot of things to consider.
It is not so good to rush him, I think.
It is an gadget for someone who don't care anything but SQ, and not reccomendable to those who are hesitating because of its price.

Sep 19, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #519 of 1,469
I use IMod but I don't care too much for the ALAC support. As pointed out in the Amp3 threads or other threads as well, ALAC is proprietary. Hence it is not surprising that these DAPs do not support ALAC natively. However, I've been told that there are programs that can convert ALAC to FLAC so little support of the ALAC is fine to me.

The ultimate SQ is governed by the hardware. Whether the potential of the hardware can be totally unleashed is governed by the software. Software and interface can be updated if the original size of the firmware is large enough. So I'm quite happy with this product because SQ is not something that can be altered ultimately.

32GB FLAC~ 64GB Wave ~ 100 red book CDs. I don't mind to carry 2 cards and anyway I don't need to access more than 200 CDs in one go although it would be very attractive to have larger capacity. I would buy an extra battery to solve the problem. For the gapless support, if it's a deal breaker, let it be. It's fair enough for one not to consider the 801. I also hope that the future firmware update can solve the gapless but I can't care less for this. I do think if delivery date can be certain, it would help Fang a lot. The worries have been said before in different post and answered in different posts as well. This paragraph serves a basic summary of the posts and may give the new views of this thread a more even handed perspective.

Finally, I really hope someone may input if ES3X hisses with the 801. I've already prepay for the 801 so I've no concern. But other ES3X owners may want to know because one of the target customers of the 801 should be the ones who own top IMEs. However, I suspect ES3X does hisses because Sasaki said nothing on this -- I hope that I'm wrong.

Sep 19, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #520 of 1,469
Short battery life is to be expected, because this unit, uses very high quality op amps and circuitry which draw a lot of current, and the amplification is top notch. Perhaps a better long term solution is to purchase a second user replaceable battery and change it on the fly.
As far as the restriction on 32 GB SD cards, the option is to buy as many cards as you you want. I know it costs a lot of money, but if you want 320 GB of music, buy 10 cards. They are small enough to carry around. No other unit offers this much storage, not even the 160GB iPod.

I know that all of my fixes revolve around adding more money to the final price tag, but, if you want the best, then money is only a second consideration.
This unit is the best sounding unit that I have ever heard, with no exceptions, and if you are the sort of person who wants the best, as we all know, then money is not a deciding factor.

If 2 or 300 dollars is what's stopping you from buying this unit, then this unit is not the right application for you. This is "high end" audio.
Head-Direct has come up with a solution that is second to none, and that comes with (as usual) a price tag. If you were going to buy a Conrad Johnson, or Mark Levinson, then you need to be willing to shell out 10K for a pre-amp alone.

Just to put things in perspective, Fang has built a unit that will change musical component history as we know it, but that will always come with a price, If you are looking for a mediocre player that has a small price tag, then you are in the wrong market segment, get a Sansa Clip.

I'm truly not trying to be a condescending prick here. This unit is the best unit that money can buy, and like a pair of Kimber cables, if you want the best, then the daily Starbucks will have to take a back seat.

People will pay $400 for a pair of Oakleys of $6K for a Milgauss, and it's all not really relative in the high end world.

This player kicks butt, and a $grand is not asking a lot for the best sounding portable player on the market.

A year from now, the money that you spend on this, will all be forgotten, but the tunes in your ears, will not!
The joy that this unit has offered me, in one short week, makes a week of family vacation in Ocean City, pale in comparison.

You have to make a decision here. Do you want the best sound that money can buy, in a portable unit, with an endless possibility of future upgrades? If so, it is a no-brainer. If you are looking for mediocre sound with lots of bells and whistles, get an iPod touch. If you are looking for the greatest sound possible (isn't that why we are here in the first place?), then save your pennies and purchase a HiFiMAN. You won't be sorry.
Make sure to have some take lot's of pictures of the big fat smile on your face.

P.S.- So far, I have not had any issues with quality control. This player has worked flawlessly from the get-go.

Sep 19, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #521 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the increase price make me imposibble to buy this... arghhh..

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The third batch can be even more expensive, though. For the ones who are interested in it. Hurry up

It's not a price increase, it's the price that everyone would pay, if a manufacturer did not offer an introductory price. That is the real price and it is well worth it, in my my comparative experience. Head-Direct loses profit when offering an introductory price, but it is worth it to them, if enough people buy it at this price, boast about it, and inevitably causes an overall long term increase in sales. Most of our local Head-Fi Manus do the same thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piejesu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound quality seems to be excellent.
But how about total product quality, except SQ?
No ALAC, short battery life, 32GB limit of SDHC, no gapless, and first of all, the uncertainty of delivery...there seems to be a lot of things to consider.
It is not so good to rush him, I think.
It is an gadget for someone who don't care anything but SQ, and not reccomendable to those who are hesitating because of its price.

Except for the lack of gapless (which doesn't really bother me too much, except on classical music), total product quality is truly what needs to be taken into consideration when plunking down some beans for something on a person's wish list.
As far as the ALAC concern, which is a proprietary format designed for the the use of Apple products, dBPoweramp costs about $30 and will convert any format to any format, effortlessly. I use mine every day.
Solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hllo, Yeah the short battery life certainly is a point to consider for me as well.
Greetings, Anouk,

8 hours is not really that short. My H-120 only gets about 12 hours with a new battery, and as stated above, simply buy a second battery. You don't even need a tool to swap them out.

Sep 19, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #522 of 1,469
Yea why not just get 2 so one can be charging while you are listening to the other?

But seriously, this thing plays Hi-Rez (I hate that term) audio without a hiccup?

The absolute best money can buy ?

Sep 19, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #523 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as the ALAC concern, which is a proprietary format designed for the the use of Apple products, dBPoweramp costs about $30 and will convert any format to any format, effortlessly. I use mine every day.
Solution.

Yeah I wish apple would stop shoving their stupid format on ipod users. Every time I download lossless music, I have to convert it (I'm an ipod user) rbecause no one uses it! It's a dead format, yet they apple refuses to offer flac support. I think the real problem lies with apple, not the hifiman player.

Sep 19, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #525 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea why not just get 2 so one can be charging while you are listening to the other?

But seriously, this thing plays Hi-Rez (I hate that term) audio without a hiccup?

The absolute best money can buy ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mind converting to a lossless apple format but it doesn't seem to like the higher bitrate music files. Thats why I was asking if the HFiMan plays Hi Rez files.

I don't understand these questions.
The HiFiMAN plays lossless files, which are uncompressed and are the best music files that that a player can play. Why are you saying that it doesn't "like to play the higher bitrate files? What files are bigger than 100-1400 kbps files?

No hiccup BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back