UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5
Oct 5, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #331 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry,
I never caught your impressions of the 2moves dac. Is it comparable to the microdac for much less money? In other words, i am asking whether i should get the microdac to pair with my gilmore lite with dps for my hd600s and whatever other future cans I get or will getting the 2move sound just as good as a glite/microdac combo
biggrin.gif
The 2move will be much more convenient since i will be able to use it when I bring my laptop around town. Now, is it gonna be a significant downgrade not worth the added convenience if I listen at home most of the time?

The 2MOVE is a fairly forward and rich sounding amp that is not quite as detailed and spacious as the Pico or Micro DAC, so it wouldn't be my first choice as DAC Pre-amp. But you could probably get away with it on a Gilmore Lite or other neutral and transparent amp. The Pico or D2 Viper/Boa would make more sense as a DAC Pre-amp for a home amp that can do double duty to drive headphones when going portable.

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #332 of 1,096
I think I should just get the microdac then since i'll also be able to use it with my dvd players toslink or coax out at the same time a computer dac
biggrin.gif

I was planning on getting hd25s so those unamped out of the laptop or ipod should be fine. If not, a headroom bithead is only $150 these days and should be fine for my portable usage. I really like the bitheads convenience of not having to use batteries too

Oct 5, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #333 of 1,096
Quote:

I think I should just get the microdac then since i'll also be able to use it with my dvd players toslink or coax out at the same time a computer dac
biggrin.gif

I was planning on getting hd25s so those unamped out of the laptop or ipod should be fine. If not, a headroom bithead is only $150 these days and should be fine for my portable usage. I really like the bitheads convenience of not having to use batteries too

The only reason I left the Micro DAC out of my recommendation was your desire to have something to listen to out of your laptop when you are out and about. It would be my 1st choice as well, for the versatility of inputs and "BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK". And I really felt my 2006 Micro Stack sounded as good as my Pico when used with USB input, yet was slightly better via optical (but I used Macbook optical which reportedly isn't as good or as "hitter-free" as optical out of a CD or DVD player, so expect even more improvements used that way).

I need to ask Headroom what kind of adapter I need to plug Coax into the MicroDAC, because I don't remember getting an adapter and my portable Akai DVD uses Coax digital out.

I'll tell you what else sounds very good as a budget DAC, but you must use a 24v Sigma 11 PSU or a battery or it will be inferior to the Micro DAC - that is the Super Pro DAC707 for $115. However it comes with a cheap 24v power brick (mine says Kodak on it) and the DAC gets very hot with the stock power unit and doesn't sound nearly as good with the stock power. They actually recommend battery power and since it runs on 12-24v they include a power cable that you can hook to a car battery. If you cannot get an upgraded PSU for it, don't bother and just get the Micro DAC.

I felt the DAC707 was not quite as good as my old iBasso D1 (which is a little below the Micro DAC) until I bought a 24v Sigma 11 for my Travagans Red and decided to try it on the DAC707. The upgraded power supply improved the signal to noise ratio and dynamics, and gave the DAC a more refined sound and better extension, so that it sounded almost the equal of the Micro DAC. Last night Sherwood came over to my house and we had a Stax party and used the DAC707/Sigma11 optical to Macbook and Pico via USB as our sources, and they were basically near the same level of performance when used with Woo GES and HE60. We thought we could hear the Pico was better, but with our eyes closed neither of us could correctly guess which one we were listening to. diykits

Oct 5, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #334 of 1,096
hmm, don't want anything inconvenient. I want a no fuss design that should work correctly right out of the box. Not in the mood for any jerry rigged items right now hehehe. The microdac it is!
biggrin.gif
You've been steering me to that direction for a while now actually, just wanted to bother you one more time in case you've heard any new good usb dacs lately.

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #335 of 1,096
Nice Review! It was very helpful I am looking to pick up my first portable amp and between this review and Skylab's its like one stop shopping thanks!

Any thing I should know about the Lyrix before picking one up? There are a couple used in the FS thread so I thought I might try one.

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #336 of 1,096
If I lived in the USA I'd buy the Predator in a heartbeat, but the shipping and customs really put me off. Since I've got a local second hand IBasso D2 on the way I'm more tempted by DECWARE's Zen Head for some reason. Probably because it gets better reviews than the supremely expensive iQube..

Oct 5, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #337 of 1,096
Quote:

hmm, don't want anything inconvenient. I want a no fuss design that should work correctly right out of the box. Not in the mood for any jerry rigged items right now hehehe. The microdac it is!
biggrin.gif
You've been steering me to that direction for a while now actually, just wanted to bother you one more time in case you've heard any new good usb dacs lately.

Well, rumor has it the iBasso D3 with DAC line out is a great choice to feed your desktop amp, and still have a portable amp built-in for traveling around. It is supposed to be very neutral and uncolored and transparent and detailed.

I would bet there will eventually be a Pico DAC only (without the amp section), but the current Pico works quite well as a DAC/pre-amp to feed a desktop amp and you can still use it portable to drive headphones. Alas, no optical input.

My last post talked about the Micro DAC in past tense, but I meant that I did my comparison in the past - I still have and enjoy the Micro DAC in my bedside rig.

Oct 5, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #338 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carter54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice Review! It was very helpful I am looking to pick up my first portable amp and between this review and Skylab's its like one stop shopping thanks!

Any thing I should know about the Lyrix before picking one up? There are a couple used in the FS thread so I thought I might try one.

The Lyrix Pro Total has a little bigger soundstage from back on the third row in the audience - it has 4-channel technology with socketed AD8397 main/LM6172 in the ground channel, and upgraded caps.

The Lyrix Pro (non-total) is a little more forward on the first row, and more similar in sound to the Meier Headsix or 2MOVE; and it doesn't have the 4-channel technology and uses a TI railsplitter in the ground channel and opamps are soldered.

There apparently is a 3rd model that uses the 4-channel technology and upgraded caps, but the opamps are no longer socketed like in the Total. It sounds like the total I am told, but I haven't heard that one.

Any of them should be good, depending on your needs.

Oct 5, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #339 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Lyrix Pro Total has a little bigger soundstage from back on the third row in the audience - it has 4-channel technology with socketed AD8397 main/LM6172 in the ground channel, and upgraded caps.

The Lyrix Pro (non-total) is a little more forward on the first row, and more similar in sound to the Meier Headsix or 2MOVE; and it doesn't have the 4-channel technology and uses a TI railsplitter in the ground channel and opamps are soldered.

There apparently is a 3rd model that uses the 4-channel technology and upgraded caps, but the opamps are no longer socketed like in the Total. It sounds like the total I am told, but I haven't heard that one.

Any of them should be good, depending on your needs.

thanks I am just looking for a small portable unit to power my Denon D1001 at the Office and I want it to be low cost since its the office and things can walk away.

The USB dac is a plus and so is the different power options which means I could use it as a portable and bypass my laptops crappy sound card.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Oct 5, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #340 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, rumor has it the iBasso D3 with DAC line out is a great choice to feed your desktop amp, and still have a portable amp built-in for traveling around. It is supposed to be very neutral and uncolored and transparent and detailed.

I'll check that out too

Oct 6, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #342 of 1,096
Quote:

oooh check this out. Wonder how this compares with the headroom Cambridge - Dac Majic - Digital to Analog Converter-Audio Advisor

Dunno about that one - this thread is for portable USB DAC amps. There are some other threads about the Dac Majic that you can visit. I've been somewhat intrigued myself.

Oct 6, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #343 of 1,096
this works just like the microdac though. I don't think the new microdacs are portable any longer. They need ac current now (no more battery powered model I think).

Oct 6, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #345 of 1,096
Quote:

this works just like the microdac though. I don't think the new microdacs are portable any longer. They need ac current now (no more battery powered model I think).

Okay, well then you have to get the 2006 version so this stays on topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back