UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5
Oct 10, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #350 of 1,096
Well, the D3 will be here next week (ships monday) and then I need to do 300+ hours of burn-in (Viper needed 300 although the Boa needed 600).

I still want to stress that any of the top 5 DAC/amps in my review would make most people happy. While the sound is a little different between the amps, the top tier amps are so close together in sound quality that my review is more about preferences than performance (Predator, Pico, 2MOVE, iBasso and Headroom).

The V1 is the pickiest amp out of them all, because it's rank changes the most with a change to another headphone due to different synergies - so in the review I was sure to mention which phones have good synergy with V1 and which ones don't. I still can't get over how much I like the HD600 with it.

Oct 14, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #352 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudbone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry, I have a predator, a USB, and a lap top. Tried all three USB ports, predator on USB, but no music. Any suggestions? Thanks Pete.

You need to find your sound control panel and change the source from internal soundcard to USB DAC.

Oct 15, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #353 of 1,096
my d2 viper started to make some unwanted noise recently. I even heard a random radio station play, and it wasnt even plugged in to any source. I also rolled my opamps to LTC6241HV/LMH6622 recently but havent had any problems til now. It makes LOTS of noise when its nor connected to the power adapter. The sound is hard to describe, its kinda like a low radio static with some high pitched thing going on. The noise seems to be loudest when the volume is at its lowest setting.

This happens regardless if im using the DAC or not.

Another strange thing is, there is no noise/less noise when I'm playing music with the top off.

OH, i hear the radio when i also slightly tap the LMH6622, pretty funny if you ask me.

Oct 15, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #354 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by PlasticChicken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I even heard a random radio station play, and it wasnt even plugged in to any source.

For real? I don't think your amp is the problem. Maybe you have a ghost wandering in your house that finds the D2 so good he plugged his ethereal radio source.
tongue.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #356 of 1,096
The only time I get interference with my D2 Viper is from my iPhone, while the Boa is a little more resistant to the noise from the iPhone it can still happen.

NOW, the big news. My D3 arrived, and I tried it out of my iMod with Vcap dock and Denon D2000 using 5 Energizer AAA Alkaline batteries, and it sounds great. I swapped over to my D2 Viper with LM4562 main/LM6172 ground which I have been using that way since I killed my LTC6241HV a month ago, and compared them. With about 10 minutes of ear time, going back and forth, the unburned-in D3 sounds almost IDENTICAL to my D2 Viper with more than 1000 hours on it. Big open wide soundstage and very detailed and smooth. Wow, it sounds nice. None of this D2 Viper has muddy bass till 200 hours, or D2 Boa has less ambience till 600 hours that needs burn-in.

I'd almost suspect they burned it in for me knowing it was for a review but they didn't have enough time to do that, plus they told me it needed 300 hours - and said if my Boa really needed 600 hours for me then I should do 600 on the D3 too.

I'm gonna go ahead and chew through a few sets of AAA batteries and burn it in on my Macbook for a few hundred hours, and then review it when I am sure it is not changing for the last 100 hours. Right now I am very pleased (remember, only 10 minutes of ear time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back