UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5
Sep 10, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #301 of 1,096
I for one was very impressed
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #303 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's kinda depressing - no comments about the latest review eh? Does this mean my job is done?

I am in awe of your entire body of work. This latest post is no less spectacular than the rest, and it is a great read. Your impressions are very detailed, and it makes understanding the differences between these amps quite easy. Also, I think your impressions are quite realistic and not overblown.

But, no you are not done. Get back to work!
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #304 of 1,096
I was considering that Vivid Tech dac/amp a while ago, but there was a big lack of reviews out so I decided against it.

But now I have a pretty good idea of it! Seems like a great deal... wonder how it would pair with my KSC75's, haha... I need some better headphones as well.

Can you let us know how it pairs with your D2000's? I may consider those in the future as my main pair of headphones.

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #305 of 1,096
Quote:

That's kinda depressing - no comments about the latest review eh? Does this mean my job is done?

In no event! You just opened a new door to head-fi world for some people on budget with your Vivid review. Now I may recommend affordable amp for 3 (at least) of my friends, who can not pay big ca$h for USB/DAC. You also discovered modded Viper for me before, which is surprisingly excellent amp.

Thank you, man! Please, continue.

Sep 10, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #306 of 1,096
Quote:

tongue.gif

thanks as always
we always read your portable review
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

o2smile.gif

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #308 of 1,096
Larry, thanks for all the reviews
very informative and involving
great job
kudos

Sep 10, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #309 of 1,096
Thanks gang!
redface.gif
tongue.gif

I am doing more burn-in of the V1 in the hopes that those upper mids and lower mids will become a little more neutral (we're talking like only 1 or 1.5 db of EQ that might be able to be burned-out in a couple of spots). Last night, in trying it with my Germania Frankenstein creation of heavily modified and re-cabled ATH-AD900 I was stunned by the impact and control with Infected Mushroom, and the space and detail with classical music; but I was a little put off by the low mids prominence with Thomas Mark Benoit "Cave Creek" acoustic guitar.

So it's still all about amp/phone synergy and while the V1 may have some issues with RS-1, Freq Show or ATH-A900 it is an impressive little amp with HD600, Edition 9 and AKG K240M 600 ohm and Klipsch Image X10. So, look at what headphones and amps you will be combining and "choose wisely my son".

I will also be trying it with my iMod to see how it sounds without the DAC...

Sep 10, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #310 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was considering that Vivid Tech dac/amp a while ago, but there was a big lack of reviews out so I decided against it.

But now I have a pretty good idea of it! Seems like a great deal... wonder how it would pair with my KSC75's, haha... I need some better headphones as well.

Can you let us know how it pairs with your D2000's? I may consider those in the future as my main pair of headphones.

I tend to looks for amps that do well with Grados when looking for an amp for my KSC75 or KSC35, although a P>S adapter meant for Ety ER4 might change that up a little. I keep meaning to buy one.

Sep 10, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #311 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In no event! You just opened a new door to head-fi world for some people on budget with your Vivid review. Now I may recommend affordable amp for 3 (at least) of my friends, who can not pay big ca$h for USB/DAC. You also discovered modded Viper for me before, which is surprisingly excellent amp.

Thank you, man! Please, continue.

Well, I did pre-order the Viper back in January when I sent my P2 back for the second time with charging woes, so that helped.

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #312 of 1,096
Quote:

I tend to looks for amps that do well with Grados when looking for an amp for my KSC75 or KSC35, although a P>S adapter meant for Ety ER4 might change that up a little. I keep meaning to buy one.

Yep I agree, so you testing with RS-1's and MS-1's that did not synergize well may be a deterrent for me. I wonder if the amp just mostly does better with high-ohm headphones?

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #313 of 1,096
Quote:

Yep I agree, so you testing with RS-1's and MS-1's that did not synergize well may be a deterrent for me. I wonder if the amp just mostly does better with high-ohm headphones?

No, because my Edition 9 are either 30 or 40 ohm and sound fine with it, and the Image are not high impedance (but not super low either) and it drives them well.

I will try the V1 with my KSC75/35 tonight and report back.

Sep 11, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #315 of 1,096
Quote:

Well, I tried the Vivid Tech V1 with the KSC35 in a $1.99 headband, and with the KSC35 with the stock ear clips and in the head band. I want to preface this by saying I much prefer the KSC35 in a headband, maybe as much as I like my Alessandro MS-1, and certainly better than iGrado/SR-60/PX100. I feel the KSC75 are usually not as refined sounding as the KSC35, but when using the KSC75 they do sound better (with more bass) when in a headband than in the ear clips.

Nevertheless, the KSC35/75 both sound fine in all the configurations when played with the V1 amp. I tried it with all the songs I have mentioned in my review, plus about 20 different rock songs. I pulled out the Headstage Lyrix Pro (not the "total" model) to compare to, and 2/3 of the time I preferred the V1. There was some classical and jazz where the Lyrix was a little more transparent, but with rock and vocals the upper mids seemed sucked out on the Lyrix rather than boosted with the V1. My torture test is Diana Krall "Girl in the Other Room" which is not a good mastering, and the V1/Koss combo worked better for me.

So, the V1 does better with the Koss KSC35/75 than it did with MS-1 (comfys) or RS-1 (bowls).

PS: I wont get the D2000 back from APureSound for another 2 weeks, while having the 1/4" plug replaced with a 4-pin XLR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back