UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5
Aug 24, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #271 of 1,096
A stupid question
redface.gif

Does the Predator use USB power only when in DAC mode and thus the battery does not drain? RSA web page not clear. Thanks

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #272 of 1,096
When driving headphones, all these amps use battery whether using DAC or not - but the DAC portion usually doesn't draw any power from the battery and runs off the USB.

The D2 Boa can keep the battery full while plugged into USB, as can the Vivid Technologies. All the others will run the battery down, unless plugged into the wall at the same time.

Aug 26, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #274 of 1,096
I got the replacement LTC6241HV since I blew my first one in the Travagans White, but haven't had a chance since I got it this weekend to try it. I already had the LMH6655 for the ground channel, so I am all set to try this tomorrow.

I did try the OPA627AU on a small soldered 2:1 adapter in the viper, and it was nice, but I went back to the LMH6622/THS4032 combo at the end of the testing.

So, LTC6241HV/LMH6655 to make it sound like a Predator is the next up for testing...

Aug 28, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #275 of 1,096
I have 82 hours on the Vivid Technology V1 USB DAC amp, so another 208 hours and I'll be ready to start reviewing it. No spoilers yet, sorry.

I am also just starting testing of the D2 Viper with HiFlights "Predator Clone" LTC6241HV main amp / LMH6655 ground channel, and so far it sounds very nice with about 5 minutes of listening. I will have to run out to the car to get my Predator that I left in there with my Nano, and then do some comparisons tonight, after the kids are off to bed and leave me alone
tongue.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #276 of 1,096
I have the HV in my Viper and it does sound surprisingly good, very good.

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #277 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the HV in my Viper and it does sound surprisingly good, very good.

Yeah, I woulda tried it sooner if I hadn't heard my first one go "pop" when I plugged it into another amp. I am still trying to get around to testing the Edition 9 on my rolled Woo WA6 and Single Power, and then spend time listening to the D2 Viper vs Predator.

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #278 of 1,096
Wow! I'm using my old HD600 with stock cable right now (the setup is from an earlier test with a new vs old pair of HD600, both plugged into the same amp). I started this session of testing the new D2 opamps using my iMod and portable Vcap dock while the laptop is tied up burning in the V1 amp.

There are some songs where I can't tell the difference between the Predator and D2 Viper with HiFlights "Predator Clone" LTC6241HV main amp / LMH6655 ground channel. Like Tsuyoshi Yamamoto "Smooth Jazz Festival" song titled "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"; until the string bass solo comes in at 4:20 and then I can hear the bass has just a little more body and impact with the Predator.

And in other songs like Tsuyoshi Yamamoto "Smooth Jazz Festival" song titled "Sweet Sound" the bass is slightly more solid and present in the deepest registers, and the strings also have a little more micro-detail in the sound of the bow drawn across the strings.

Switching to some Nora Jones "Not Too Late", the song Wish I could, with the D2 I was quite surprised when her voice came in being so natural and present and smooth. With the Predator on this CD the treble is a little more aggressive and adds that smokey and slightly edgy sound to her voice (but no sibilance and this is a good CD to test for that).

Finishing it up with some male vocals with Jack Johnson "Sleep through the Static", the song All at Once - with the Predator his voice sounds like I'm in the studio with him, and the bass is deep and strong. The difference in treble heard with Nora Jones is now difficult to hear when switching to the D2, as it can't be easily heard in his voice in but a few of the songs (like in the song "Hope" where the D2 Viper is just a little smoother and less aggressive). In the song "Angel" the Predator again has a little more micro-detail in the guitar strings. Even in the bass the two amps is more alike in most tracks on this CD (but not all), but when I can hear the difference it is slightly in the favor of the Predator (like the intro drums into "What You Thought You Need").

So Wow! It is so close that I don't think I will ever change the D2 opamps opamps if this assessment holds up later with the RS-1, D2000, Edition 9, Klipsch Image and Livewires. They are not absolutely identical, but I can't imagine the D2 getting any closer to the Predator than this - I'd bet that it is 98-99% there as far as duplicating it.

I'll report back after trying the two through their DAC, and with the other headphones mentioned above. GREAT JOB HiFlight!

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #279 of 1,096
So HeadphoneAddict, how much would a LTC6241HV and LMH6655 opamp combo cost shipped?

Bah damn Headfi, so far this week whenever I read a thread, I end up buying something. My Cowon D2 arrived this weekend, my 16 gig SDHC for the D2 earlier this week, my Fiio E3 amp yesterday, Klipsch Image X10s are arriving tomorrow afternoon, and now looking to buy 2 opamps. :p

Aug 28, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #280 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So HeadphoneAddict, how much would a LTC6241HV and LMH6655 opamp combo cost shipped?

Bah damn Headfi, so far this week whenever I read a thread, I end up buying something. My Cowon D2 arrived this weekend, my 16 gig SDHC for the D2 earlier this week, my Fiio E3 amp yesterday, Klipsch Image X10s are arriving tomorrow afternoon, and now looking to buy 2 opamps. :p

PM HiFlight, but I'd estimate about $30-32 for the two. Might still be nice to have an LM6172 with THS4032, maybe a LMH6622 as well. Depends on what I find with my other headphones...

Sorry about your wallet!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #281 of 1,096
So far this D2 Viper opamp combo is a winner with the Klipsch Image and RS-1, but the RS-1 wipe the floor with the Image. It is just great with RS-1. I can't stop listening to Pat Methent Day Trip...

Aug 30, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #282 of 1,096
Hi headphoneaadict, thanks for the review, it's really enjoyable.
I have one question, can you tell me if the difference in sound quality (specially of the DAC) of the Predator and the 2Move is so big to justify the additional $250?

Aug 30, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #283 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by jma790 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi headphoneaadict, thanks for the review, it's really enjoyable.
I have one question, can you tell me if the difference in sound quality (specially of the DAC) of the Predator and the 2Move is so big to justify the additional $250?

Probably not - the biggest reason for the Predator is tiny size, 56 hour re-chargable battery, ability to leave connected to both sources (analog and dac) and change between the two with a flip of a switch, and the 3 gain settings and low gain for IEM. To me those are all worth it, and I do like the sound slightly better on the Predator.

Aug 31, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #285 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by jma790 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would I like to test a Predator... but no one wants to lend me one
frown.gif
... If only I could get good audio equipment here in my country... and if I weren't a student
biggrin.gif

If you contact Ray Samuels, and have good feed-back on head-fi, maybe he'll send a demo unit to try out. You never know till you ask and get turned down. But, screw Ray over and it would ruin things for everyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back