UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5
Aug 18, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #256 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by robenco18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know a place where you can still get them because they received 50 of the 100 and still have enough in stock to last them a month, or so they told me.

edit: can I say that? or am I not supposed to be advertising any company, even if I didn't say the name....

If you are not affiliated with the company and don't profit from recommending them, then post it.

Are these ones that are available a special high gain version or special OEM order?

Aug 18, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #257 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are not affiliated with the company and don't profit from recommending them, then post it.

Are these ones that are available a special high gain version or special OEM order?

You should know me well enough by now to know I have no idea what the answer to that question is. Maybe this will answer it for you. If it does, please let me know what the answer is -

STEREO - http://www.stereo.com.sg

.....is one better than the other (high gain vs. special OEM)

Aug 18, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #258 of 1,096
Larry,

First I'd like to thank you for your great review and effort to help the community.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have been running my Etymotic ER-4P right out of my DAP for sometime. It seems that the DAP isn't putting out enough current for the IEM, because out of all my other headphone jacks I got more bass and a fuller sound than what I got out of the DAP. I could turn on the bass boost but I got the feeling that it takes away a little bit of transparency. So I am considering if I should add an amp right now.

I don't intend to spend too much. I've been looking at D2 Viper, D2 Boa and the Headsix (supposedly similar sounding to 2Move). At times the ER-4P can sound a little cold out of my DAP, especially at lower volume. While I am at it, I thought that I might as well try to add lushness, warmth and sweetness to the overall sound. Which of these would be my best bet? I'm open to any ideas.

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 18, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #259 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry,

First I'd like to thank you for your great review and effort to help the community.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have been running my Etymotic ER-4P right out of my DAP for sometime. It seems that the DAP isn't putting out enough current for the IEM, because out of all my other headphone jacks I got more bass and a fuller sound than what I got out of the DAP. I could turn on the bass boost but I got the feeling that it takes away a little bit of transparency. So I am considering if I should add an amp right now.

I don't intend to spend too much. I've been looking at D2 Viper, D2 Boa and the Headsix (supposedly similar sounding to 2Move). At times the ER-4P can sound a little cold out of my DAP, especially at lower volume. While I am at it, I thought that I might as well try to add lushness, warmth and sweetness to the overall sound. Which of these would be my best bet? I'm open to any ideas.

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

The D2 Viper with LM6172 in the main amp and THS4032 is fantastic with my 47 ohm Altec Lansing IM716 (sibling to the ER4) and adds great bass and warmth to these IEM without needing to be switched into high gain, so I suspect that would be #1 with the ER4. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...ess-up-338443/

However, in my testing above, while the modded Viper was best I still thought the IM716 had good sound quality with ALL of the amps I tried. I had the Headsix in low gain for my testing and it really needs to be in high gain with those IEM, but I didn't want to open it up to change the gain. SO, for that reason I think the Boa is probably a better choice than Headsix, because the Boa gain switch is on the outside and since the Boa is warmer than the stock D2 Viper.

I have read that the ER4P are hard to drive, which you seem to confirm, so even one of the high gain Vipers out there should be able to drive the ER4P without concern about hiss (which with very sensitive IEM like Shure SE530 or Livewires or Freq customs hiss can often be a problem). But if you did get hiss you could always get a P-S adapter for the ER4P.

Aug 19, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #260 of 1,096
Larry,

Thanks for the advice.
smily_headphones1.gif

ER-4P is quite sensitive, it hisses with my Sony DAP, yet it isn't easy to drive it properly. But the problem can be solved easily.

I wasn't aware there was another great thread by you, else I probably won't be asking here.
smily_headphones1.gif

So is the gain in the Viper switchable? Does "high gain" Viper means it is stuck at high gain?

I have heard the Viper once, I assume that it was stock. I find it have a very warm and liquid midrange. It seems that you find the stock Viper quite neutral. I also find the SA6 warm, and you find it quite neutral too. So I guess your definition of warm is a couple of notched up from mine.
biggrin.gif
So when you say something is warm sounding, it's probably what I'm looking for.
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #261 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry,

Thanks for the advice.
smily_headphones1.gif

ER-4P is quite sensitive, it hisses with my Sony DAP, yet it isn't easy to drive it properly. But the problem can be solved easily.

I wasn't aware there was another great thread by you, else I probably won't be asking here.
smily_headphones1.gif

So is the gain in the Viper switchable? Does "high gain" Viper means it is stuck at high gain?

I have heard the Viper once, I assume that it was stock. I find it have a very warm and liquid midrange. It seems that you find the stock Viper quite neutral. I also find the SA6 warm, and you find it quite neutral too. So I guess your definition of warm is a couple of notched up from mine.
biggrin.gif
So when you say something is warm sounding, it's probably what I'm looking for.
biggrin.gif

There is a "high gain Viper that was ordered as an OEM project and a few accidentally shipped to people with pre-orders of the Viper - this had lo/hi gain switch, but both settings multiplied the gain more than a typical viper (good for people with a very quiet or low output source). Very few people have these, and I don't know who is selling the high gain model for sure.

As for warm vs thin or cold - I think warm and liquid midrange also depends on the headphones being used, not just the amp (remember synergy). With my Proline 2500 or AKG K240M 600 ohm, I find the Predator, D2 viper w/rolled opamps, 2MOVE and Headsix are more neutral than warm - but with other headphones the amps are warm. Then you pair a Pico or stock D2 with those same headphones above and it sounds a little thin (the RS-1 are kinda in between, straddling the fence). But use a Yamaha HP-1 ortho, Denon D2000, HD600 or Edition 9 with the Pico or stock D2 or Micro Amp and you get warm again. And being "warm" doesn't always mean "forward" sounding too, because I find the D2000 and RS-1 with the right amp to be warm but not too forward, while the HD600 and Edition 9 and others are warm and often more forward sounding with those same amps.

When I used the SA6 in my IEM/Amp synergy impressions thread, I did find them warm with Predator, Headsix, Headstage, TTVJ or D2 with certain opamps - but with the Pico or D2 with THS4032 or LMH6622 in the main amp the SA6 were closer to neutral.

Going back to the D2000 "warm but not forward", another example (although unrelated) of warm but not forward sounding is my Stax SR-Lambda or Lambda Signature (with 3 out of 4 amps), while the Stax SR-5NB are both warm and forward regardless of the amp. But if use a Sennheiser HEV70 amp it will make the Lambdas sound forward because it is more midrange oriented - that freq response suits the Senn HE60 better, while the Stax SRM-1 amp makes the HE60 sound thin and more distant (Woo GES or SRD-7 pro fixes that) it makes the Lambdas sound just right. So, again it is all about synergy or lack thereof.

Anyway, I think I tend to focus on the 250-1000Hz range lower mids when discussing warm vs thin - I can't recall a headphone that is full in that frequency range that also lacks mid-bass bass yet (although the K240M 600 ohm are close). I suppose some people would call it thin if the bass was lacking but the mids were still full, but I just call that bass-lite or lacking impact (depending on what is missing).

Aug 23, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #262 of 1,096
I will be getting a review sample of the Vivid Technologies V1 USB headphone amp soon. It may end up being the best bang for the buck USB DAC amp at $99 + $7 S&H, so I am eager to review it after I burn it in. (Basic Lyrix with DAC is $129 + S&H)

I am in the information gathering stage right now, but I will post more when it comes time to post the review. Similar to the Headstage it uses an AD8397 opamp, and it uses the PCM2704 DAC chip, automatically switches between DAC input & analog when you plug something into it, charges via USB and also has an optional rapid charger that speed up the 5v charging by a factor of 3, is a small 2.6" square by 1.1" tall, and gain of 14db I think is close to a gain of between 5-6x, and has a 1yr warrantee.

vividaudiotech.com - Headphone Amplifiers

Aug 23, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #263 of 1,096
Quote:

I will be getting a review sample of the Vivid Technologies V1 USB headphone amp soon. It may end up being the best bang for the buck USB DAC amp at $99 + $7 S&H, so I am eager to review it after I burn it in. (Basic Lyrix with DAC is $129 + S&H)

I am in the information gathering stage right now, but I will post more when it comes time to post the review. Similar to the Headstage it uses an AD8397 opamp, and it uses the PCM2704 DAC chip, automatically switches between DAC input & analog when you plug something into it, charges via USB and also has an optional rapid charger that speed up the 5v charging by a factor of 3, is a small 2.6" square by 1.1" tall, and gain of 14db I think is close to a gain of between 5-6x, and has a 1yr warrantee.

vividaudiotech.com - Headphone Amplifiers

Sounds like a clone of the Total BitHead from Headroom.

edit: "Sounds like" should have read "Looks like".

Aug 23, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #264 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like a clone of the Total BitHead from Headroom.

Not sure I understand - you've heard it and they sound alike, or the specs are similar?

I thought the bithead uses AAA battery without charging, and has crossfeed, and a funky case.

Aug 23, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #265 of 1,096
Hi Skylab and HeadphoneAddict, thanks a bunch for all the brilliant work (?) on the reviews, I was sold on a Meier 2Move - especially after looking at their website - and I ought to be receiving mine in a few days. There is also a Zero shipping out, though the 2Move will be here first, I reckon.
Now, I may have missed something somewhere - hardly surprising since I have read hundreds of pages on the Zero in the last couple of days and I can barely see anything!!! - but can anyone tell me if the op-amps in the 2Move can be rolled and if so what were the results and recommendations please?
I have a small selection of op-amps coming, mostly for the Zero and my main h/p amp that I've been using for 18 months or so.
Also, being unfamiliar with the portable scene, why/what is the ground op-amp? What effect does it have on SQ? If the DAC section of the 2Move is not it's finest feature - say, compared to the Pico and Predator, and I AM able to roll the op-amps, what do I put in there?
Once again, apologies if it's already been covered. Cheers all.

Aug 23, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #266 of 1,096
Quote:

Not sure I understand - you've heard it and they sound alike, or the specs are similar?

I thought the bithead uses AAA battery without charging, and has crossfeed, and a funky case.

The Specs are almost the same except for the extra X-feed circuit in the Bithead and the different battery type.

Aug 23, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #267 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by sennsay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, I may have missed something somewhere - hardly surprising since I have read hundreds of pages on the Zero in the last couple of days and I can barely see anything!!! - but can anyone tell me if the op-amps in the 2Move can be rolled and if so what were the results and recommendations please?

Nope, you can't roll the opamps on the 2move...

Aug 23, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #268 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Specs are almost the same except for the extra X-feed circuit in the Bithead and the different battery type.

The Lyrix specs are similar as well, in that regard.

Aug 24, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #269 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by direcow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, you can't roll the opamps on the 2move...

Ok thanks, direcow, looks like I'm just going to have to enjoy listening to it as it is! Maybe that's a good thing!
Would you have any ideas/info on the other queries of mine?

Aug 24, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #270 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by sennsay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok thanks, direcow, looks like I'm just going to have to enjoy listening to it as it is! Maybe that's a good thing!
Would you have any ideas/info on the other queries of mine?

The DAC does not hold the 2MOVE back, it may not be as sophisticated as the Pico DAC but it does a good job of detail extraction without much negatives - the slightly smaller and more intimate soundstage of the 2MOVE vs the Pico is just as much a function of the 2MOVE amp as it is the DAC section. It retains much of that flavor even when fed an analog source into the 3.5 mm input.

I am not an EE so I am explaining this as basic as I can and may still only be 90% right - an opamp in the ground channel is referring a 4-channel architecture in the amplifier where there is both an opamp in the main amp section and one in the ground - instead of other amps that might use a different ground railsplitter design (like using a TLE2624 chip for the ground reference that can't pass as much current as the 4-channel design.

I don't know much of anything about the design of the 2MOVE and what is inside, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back