UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5
Aug 13, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #242 of 1,096
[long rambling post mode on]

I have had a busy day. I did a "Grado-Fest" mini-meet with Blutarsky this afternoon, to compare his Melos SHA Gold and Zana Deux (fed by Stello DA100) to my Single Power Square Wave XL (fed by Apogee mini-DAC balanced out using Sigma 11 PSU)/ We listened to his Grado HP-1, HP-2, PS-1 and PF-325 along with my HD600 and RS-1 (both with APS V3 cable). (the PF-325 is a PS-1 driver in an HF-1 housing with metal cups from a SR-325 and a silver dragon cable) - This is the subject of a collaborative write-up coming soon in the "meet impressions" section. We'll be reporting more on those findings later, like we did with our 7/13/08 mini-meet.

Anyway, when we were done, as an afterthought we pulled out his Apogee Duet, along with my Pico, D2 Viper, D2 Boa and added into the mix a TTVJ portable Millett Hybrid with Headstage USB DAC cable. We listened to all of them off the Macbook with the RS-1. (I left the Predator at home in my other pants, and forgot that I had the HR Micro Stack in my gear bag with me, sorry)

In a nutshell, and what is pertinent to this thread - the TTVJ with Headstage USB DAC Cable is fantastic with all these Grados, and despite the inferior $40 DAC (same DAC as in the Lyrix) we enjoyed the musicality of the TTVJ as much as the Apogee Duet headphone out. As a matter of fact, out of all these DAC/Amps, Blutarsky has set his sights on the TTVJ and Headstage DAC as his next portable purchase. The TTVJ can be used with an iPod while the Apogee Duet can't. The D2 Viper and Pico were sounding pretty close to the above two setups, but not quite as rich and solid, with the D2 Boa doing a surprising job keeping up (at 600 hours now).

The lesson here is that it seems that great amp/headphone synergy can outweigh the contribution from a great DAC or Amp section, when the goal is simply enjoying the presentation of the music as a whole. Switching to feeding the TTVJ with the D2 Viper, Boa or the Pico as DAC/Preamp was even better than with the Headstage DAC, but still not quite as detailed as the combined DAC/Amps due to the TTVJ being just a little less detailed than any of the SS amps. But boy does the music just flow with the TTVJ. When reviewing and comparing amps, you just forget that your are doing a review and just get sucked into listening to it. Then you have to go back and listen again to take notes of what you heard, because you forgot to the first time around. Based on purely technical merits, the TTVJ isn't the best, but the way it presents the music makes up for it - it's more emotional.

Anyway, my next point is that I think I have fried my ears with sensory overload today
tongue_smile.gif
, because now with careful listening tonight back here at home with the Predator, Pico, D2 Viper, D2 Boa and HR Micro Stack (TTVJ battery needs a charge) I find that I am very pleased with all of them, and their differences are less than their similarities. The differences when feeding them via analog input from the same source (my iMod with Vcap dock) are even less. The Predator still has an big sound and bass delivery that brings it closest to the impact of the TTVJ in terms of feeling like a desktop amp.

However, I could be happy to have any one of these as my only USB DAC amp right now (although I might change my mind tomorrow). The HD600 and RS-1 are good with any of these USB DAC amps at this moment, while I switch from amp to amp. If we're only considering these few miniature USB DAC Amps that I have on hand tonight, for both iPod and computer, I'd still pick the Predator first, the D2 Viper second, the Pico third and the Boa fourth - but they are so close that none of them are losers. I consider the TTVJ/USB DAC Cable and Micro Stack to be more in the "transportable laptop use" category, although the TTVJ or Micro Amp could be strapped to an iPod Classic and not be terribly out of place. Throw the 2MOVE into the mix (which was a loaner that I returned months ago) and there are just too many good choices out there to mess up.

[/long rambling post mode off]

Aug 14, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #243 of 1,096
Hey HeadphoneManiac and Bluetoasty!!!

Glad to hear some Pendles-Handiwork is finding its way to menace your mini-meets. Or, like Beevis and Butt-Head, did you guys just make up that headphone to prank all of head-fi international?
smile.gif

"Pf-whoody-whatie?"
tongue.gif

"You guys can't do that!!!"
"Who do they think they are?"
"It probably isn't even real."
"Yeah. And I'll bet it sounds like shirt, too!"

Rock on gentlemen!!!

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #244 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by pendles /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Glad to hear some Pendles-Handiwork is finding its way to menace your mini-meets. Or, like Beevis and Butt-Head, did you guys just make up that headphone to prank all of head-fi international?
smile.gif

"Pf-whoody-whatie?"
tongue.gif

Rock on gentlemen!!!

Heh, I wasn't sure you wanted to let that "cat out of the bag" so I didn't say whose Frankenstein's monster creation the PF-325 were. Besides, I wanted you all to myself should you ever decide to concoct another miracle in headphone abominations, err... I mean builds, instead of referring me to Larry at Headphile.
darthsmile.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #245 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, I wasn't sure you wanted to let that "cat out of the bag" so I didn't say whose Frankenstein's monster creation the PF-325 were. Besides, I wanted you all to myself should you ever decide to concoct another miracle in headphone abominations, err... I mean builds, instead of referring me to Larry at Headphile.
darthsmile.gif

HeadphoneManiac, You have no idea how safe we are from any mad, uncontrollable, lemming-wild-rush, headphone-mod-stampede, ha. Head-fi is pretty directional in its annual run to the same cliff races, ha. And the water looks fine! But yes, I always refer the body politic to Larry's Headphile genius and gorgeous creations. Bluetoasty cheated, and one got by us, ha.

On the other hand, if it is a miraculous abonimnation you want... you are beginning to tread on dangerous grounds!
wink_face.gif

You two put on incredible mini-meets. I detect a definite sense of humor in your banterings. Word gets out, you'll have to rent a Rocky Mountain country club for the next one! The likes of you two running things... There is certain to be an abundance of crisp, fresh air...
L3000.gif
beerchug.gif

Do press on soldiers
tongue.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #246 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by pendles

"Pf-whoody-whatie?"

Rock on gentlemen!!!

Quote:

darthsmile.gif

Sorry in advance for the OT, wait Larry started it...

Okay it appears I may need to unveil Dr. Pendlestein's monster for the world to see. Is it ready for this scrutiny?
confused_face_2.gif

Who cares its a blast! Dr. Pendlestein did a splendid job for my son, I initially sent them for a recable and woody addition. The rest of the story will have to be told later so I can rack up another post for my meager count.

BTW, the few "very qualified" headfiers who have heard it all love it, thought it was "magnificent" and/or tried to buy it. One very knowledgeable gentlemen was convinced John himself made it for me. One gentleman nearly didn't want to send it back from its modification - you know, you raise something from the dead and give it artificial life - creating an abomination ain't easy - especially one that sounds this fantastic. I can see getting attached.
tongue.gif

BTW, geez guys, don't loose lips have an adverse effect on vessels?
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #247 of 1,096
The Bluts says, Quote:

BTW, geez guys, don't loose lips have an adverse effect on vessels?
tongue_smile.gif

What?!

Wasn't I was just talking about some odd, innocent, IC cables I sent to Colorado?

You guys are starting to scare me...

Nope. I'm ok.

(The lemmings are still headed in the same direction they were
k701smile.gif
)

Aug 15, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #248 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by pendles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Bluts says,

What?!

Wasn't I was just talking about some odd, innocent, IC cables I sent to Colorado?

You guys are starting to scare me...

Nope. I'm ok.

(The lemmings are still headed in the same direction they were
k701smile.gif
)

Okay for an evil genius...now you have to add the UADW to your creation signature.

Aug 15, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #249 of 1,096
Quote:

Okay for an evil genius...now you have to add the UADW to your creation signature.

Been their all the time, Bluts! I effectionately call it "The Dragonwoo". It is a hybrid "Ponywoo" build, for I prefer my own cable builds that cost more than the headphones themselves for my own Ponywoos, ha. But DANG! That Dragonwoo/Ponywoo/PF-1/PF-325i/Up Armored Dragon Woo is such a cool listen... Maybe the cable you chose was just the thing?! Given half a chance the big boys give thier high ends with the same killer amps--even the world class amp builders themselves, as you found out, that headphone extraordinaire sure livens up the playing field a tad, yes/no? And Dang that midrange? Holy Moly...

Now leave me alone!
angry_face.gif
wink.gif

Aug 18, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #250 of 1,096
Larry...

I had a chance at our mini-meet this weekend to compare my Topkit equipped Viper to a well burned-in Predator. IMHO, the Predator initially sounded better regardless of the phones used.

I took my entire stock of opamps to the meet, "just in case", so tried to match the sound of the Predator as closely as possible.

I finally arrived at a configuration that sounded so close that during blind testing, the 2 amps could not be told apart when playing the same selection from a high-end cd player. Several different individuals listened blind and were unable to consistently identify which was which.

The final Viper configuration is with the LMH6655 in the ground channel and the LTC6241HV in LR. The 6241HV is the opamp that Dr Xin referred to as "solid tube"

At any rate, you might like to give this combo a try and see how similar you think it sounds to the Predator.

Ron

Aug 18, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #251 of 1,096
the predator takes so long to burn in. Ive don all of 40 hours. Still waiting for a bit of sparkle

Aug 18, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #252 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry...

I had a chance at our mini-meet this weekend to compare my Topkit equipped Viper to a well burned-in Predator. IMHO, the Predator initially sounded better regardless of the phones used.

I took my entire stock of opamps to the meet, "just in case", so tried to match the sound of the Predator as closely as possible.

I finally arrived at a configuration that sounded so close that during blind testing, the 2 amps could not be told apart when playing the same selection from a high-end cd player. Several different individuals listened blind and were unable to consistently identify which was which.

The final Viper configuration is with the LMH6655 in the ground channel and the LTC6241HV in LR. The 6241HV is the opamp that Dr Xin referred to as "solid tube"

At any rate, you might like to give this combo a try and see how similar you think it sounds to the Predator.

Ron

sounds great might have to try tracking these opamps down
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 18, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #253 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by wired00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds great might have to try tracking these opamps down
smily_headphones1.gif

I happen to have those opamps, but I blew the LTC6241HV in the Travagans White a few months ago, so I ordered another from HiFlight after he PM'd this info to me, and I will report back after I listen to it.

Basically the two portable amps that I use the MOST are the Predator with 3G Nano, and the D2 Viper with iMod/Portable Vcap dock. If those are out in the car with my fanny pack and I want to listen to my laptop, then I grab the Pico or the Boa because they are good enough to save my weary body from a trip to the garage. This is assuming I don't plug the laptop into my Apogee mini-DAC in my main rig and listen to a real amp (Woo GES/HE60, Single Power Square Wave balanced/HD600, Woo WA6 maxed/RS-1)
tongue.gif

I feel vindicated that the Predator was also ahead of the modded D2 viper with other people and not just me, but I've always said the Viper is excellent and if it can sound like a predator then that will be wonderful. Prior to this we have been able to make it sound like a Pico, or an iQube, or somewhat between the 2MOVE and Predator. iBasso NEEDS to start making these Vipers again.

Aug 18, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #254 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by alxwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which one will works best for HD580. I know HD580 should use tube AMP but I really Do not want put a Tube Amp in Office.
Thanks.

Sorry, just saw this question.

If all you need is a small amp with USB DAC, and recognize that the portables will not wring the most performance out of the HD580, then you will be fine with the Predator, Pico, 2MOVE, D2 Viper or HR Micro Stack, and if you don't need ear splitting volume the Boa will do okay too.

The HD580/600/650 will almost always sound better with a full power desktop amp, and some can be fairly small, like the Dark Voice 336i or Woo WA6 (the TTVJ Portable Millett Hybrid is powerful and tubes, but may be a little too forward for the Senns).

Aug 18, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #255 of 1,096
Quote:

iBasso NEEDS to start making these Vipers again.

I know a place where you can still get them because they received 50 of the 100 and still have enough in stock to last them a month, or so they told me.

edit: can I say that? or am I not supposed to be advertising any company, even if I didn't say the name....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back