Upcoming DAP from xDuoo - the X10!
Dec 11, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #1,681 of 1,751
Just wondering.....did the X10 UI is that bad??? If so, whats the problem about it?

Price....its just so dirt cheap with some seller....105$ is less than what I pay for my X3 lol

Dec 17, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #1,682 of 1,751
My sister also got a Cayin N3 cuz her Fiio X1 died.

The Cayin and X10 are about the same price but the X10 is definitely a few steps above it in terms of sound quality. Even the X3 is better than the N3 in this aspect.

The N3 sounds muddy and dark coming from the X10. Details are lacking , instrument separation is indistinct, bass is loose , mids are ok but the highs sound rolled off.

However the N3 comes with a bit more features like USB DAC functionality, EQ and Bluetooth with APT-X .

Personally i would consider this a clear win for the X10 as my main priority when choosing a dap is the sound quality.
How do you find the soundstage of both ?

Dec 17, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #1,683 of 1,751
Just wondering.....did the X10 UI is that bad??? If so, whats the problem about it?

Price....its just so dirt cheap with some seller....105$ is less than what I pay for my X3 lol

The UI is better than the one on the X3 stock firmware but loses to rockbox.

Dec 17, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #1,684 of 1,751
How do you find the soundstage of both ?
The X3 and X10 have a similarly sized soundstage but the X10 has superior instrument separation and a better defined soundstage.

The N3 loses handily compared to both the X3 and X10 .

The N3 is better than the FiiO X1 in soundstage size but not definition.

Dec 18, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #1,685 of 1,751
The X3 and X10 have a similarly sized soundstage but the X10 has superior instrument separation and a better defined soundstage.

The N3 loses handily compared to both the X3 and X10 .

The N3 is better than the FiiO X1 in soundstage size but not definition.

I guess this is one of those “eye (ear) of the beholder” situations...

We all know that the SQ is determined by all the components in the chain. From the quality of the recording to the dap/dac to the earphones to the individual ear that is listening to the music. All affect the experience, positively or negatively. Folks post opinions on components without identifying the complete package and as such, it is almost meaningless...

After listening to my new X10 for a couple of weeks with KZ ZS5,6, ZST; ie80 and anything else I could find in my earphone drawer, I was generally underwhelmed. The maddening part of this experience was that I had no way to alter much of anything. I’m sure that there is a ton of potential in the X10, but the user is stuck listening to a “one size fits all” configuration that doesn’t fit my sound preferences for ANY iem in my collection.

So I bought an N3. To my ears, it’s much better than the X10 in every capacity except soundstage size and storage. The RB X3 has a grainier SQ, but I like it more than the X10 and almost as much as the N3. The N3 just had a new FW ver on 12/12. The X10’s is 11 months old and lacking still...

Dec 18, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #1,686 of 1,751

We all know that the SQ is determined by all the components in the chain. From the quality of the recording to the dap/dac to the earphones to the individual ear that is listening to the music. All affect the experience, positively or negatively. Folks post opinions on components without identifying the complete package and as such, it is almost meaningless...

After listening to my new X10 for a couple of weeks with KZ ZS5,6, ZST; ie80 and anything else I could find in my earphone drawer, I was generally underwhelmed. The maddening part of this experience was that I had no way to alter much of anything. I’m sure that there is a ton of potential in the X10, but the user is stuck listening to a “one size fits all” configuration that doesn’t fit my sound preferences for ANY iem in my collection.

So I bought an N3. To my ears, it’s much better than the X10 in every capacity except soundstage size and storage. The RB X3 has a grainier SQ, but I like it more than the X10 and almost as much as the N3. The N3 just had a new FW ver on 12/12. The X10’s is 11 months old and lacking still...

My EQ are my IEM....this is why im a collector I guess, but I never use EQ never....BUT, a good one can be interesting for sure, and consumers really like it. If a DAP do not sound good without EQ, its not a good sounding DAP, or it is too colored, Ipod was a good example of that, so bassy that it make some basys IEM unbearble and distorting....must admit grainy sound is too digital sounding for me, but N3 sure look a good bet. Will share some impressions on X10 if I can get my hands on it. Other headfiers (from obscure chinese DAP thread) really are impress by the sound, so its perhaps a hate or love soundsignature.

Must admit, another interesting feature can be like what we can find with old AMP, treble and bass tweaking control, especially treble can be a game changer in soundsignature I think. Need to collect all nice suggestion here and share it ASAP to Xduoo!!!!!!!

Dec 18, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #1,687 of 1,751
....must admit grainy sound is too digital sounding for me, but N3 sure look a good bet. Will share some impressions on X10 if I can get my hands on it. Other headfiers (from obscure chinese DAP thread) really are impress by the sound, so its perhaps a hate or love soundsignature.
There is little to no grain in the N3 at all. Silky smooth but articulate. To me, the X10 has no real top end as it's too rolled-off. I can honestly say that the X10 will cause no listener fatigue. No sparkle at all...

You know, some people like laptops that give you sparse choices in the BIOS. They don't have to worry about anything, because the manufacturer obviously knows best. Others of us have built gaming rigs and over-clocked boxes for years, and just love to tweak and tinker. On anything electronic. Even if I don't want to tweak, I'd appreciate the option to do so.

Oh yeah, let's talk about Bluetooth... It's an N3 option, you know.

Dec 18, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #1,688 of 1,751

So I bought an N3. To my ears, it’s much better than the X10 in every capacity except soundstage size and storage.

There is little to no grain in the N3 at all. Silky smooth but articulate. To me, the X10 has no real top end as it's too rolled-off. I can honestly say that the X10 will cause no listener fatigue. No sparkle at all...
I can confirm that those iems will sound horrible with an X10. I recently went to japan and had the chance to try out hundereds of iems at Yodobashi Camera.

The odd thing is, wouldnt the N3 which is already dark-ish be an even worse pairing with the iems you mention?

Personally i found the KZ ZS5, ZS6, ZST and the ie80 to sound too dark for my preference. I prefer clear, airy and fast sounding iems.

I'll try my sister's N3 later to reconfirm the sound.

Dec 18, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #1,689 of 1,751
I can confirm that those iems will sound horrible with an X10. I recently went to japan and had the chance to try out hundereds of iems at Yodobashi Camera.

The odd thing is, wouldnt the N3 which is already dark-ish be an even worse pairing with the iems you mention?

Personally i found the KZ ZS5, ZS6, ZST and the ie80 to sound too dark for my preference. I prefer clear, airy and fast sounding iems.

I'll try my sister's N3 later to reconfirm the sound.
None of these IEMs are “dark” IMO, especially with silver wire... and the ZS6 is fairly bright to a lot of folks. At the most, I’d agree to “warm” for the ZS5/ZST. The ie80 I would call neutral with my bass setting. I have an 06A in a drawer somewhere that I’ll dig out tomorrow. I have a few more hybrids around, if my kids/grandkids haven’t pilfered them.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #1,690 of 1,751
None of these IEMs are “dark” IMO, especially with silver wire... and the ZS6 is fairly bright to a lot of folks. At the most, I’d agree to “warm” for the ZS5/ZST. The ie80 I would call neutral with my bass setting. I have an 06A in a drawer somewhere that I’ll dig out tomorrow. I have a few more hybrids around, if my kids/grandkids haven’t pilfered them.
Currently i suspect the type of music we listen to is the culprit here. I mainly like movie/game soundtracks so that may be it.

06A? Ostry KC06A?

Dec 18, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #1,691 of 1,751
Currently i suspect the type of music we listen to is the culprit here. I mainly like movie/game soundtracks so that may be it.

06A? Ostry KC06A?
I may have a half dozen soundtracks in my music, but nothing like Les Mis... Yeah, the Ostry KC06A. They are a little too bright for me after 30-45 mins.

Oh, and Sean, I’m sure my ears have a few more decades of (mis)use compared to yours...

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #1,692 of 1,751
I may have a half dozen soundtracks in my music, but nothing like Les Mis... Yeah, the Ostry KC06A. They are a little too bright for me after 30-45 mins.

Oh, and Sean, I’m sure my ears have a few more decades of (mis)use compared to yours...
Funny, thats the exact combo my sister uses. N3 + KC06A.

Personally i liked the KC06 better.

Dec 19, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #1,693 of 1,751
Funny, thats the exact combo my sister uses. N3 + KC06A.
Your sister obviously has discerning tastes...

As I mentioned in our PMs, I may need to “do a craw-dad” (back-up) on my X10 rant and reconsider. I have found that it does like my Mont Blanc amp. Both it and the N3 become amazing when using this amp. Since I have probably a half-dozen, various amps, I may have an article’s worth of testing ahead...

Dec 19, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #1,695 of 1,751
I only have 2 amps, bravo audio ocean and O2 ,both not portable.
I also have several hybrid tube amps, including a Project Horizon and a couple of modded Indeeds, a G2 & G3... along with a library of about 300 6dj8 family, 12AU7 and equivalent tubes.

I used to be a little heavier involved with Budget-Fi stuff. Now, I just come around Head-Fi when I get the urge to buy some gear - about once a year for a few visits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back