Upcoming DAP from xDuoo - the X10!
Jan 31, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #1,712 of 1,751
Some X10 owners from Russian mp3 forum mention the same problem with degrading sound, and state that the main problem for this is the battery. If you have a possibility, then try replacing it or just check if it is in a good shape visually.
Ok, so I opened it up and the battery seems to be in good condition.

The pcb is as dusty as usual tho

A dusty PCB wont affect the sound. But the battery has. When you meant degraded, its getting grainy ? I too got that problem then. I think one of the caps must be the problem, because if I am not wrong these devices are meant to work on a constant voltage current, and there must be a regulartor inside them for this.

Jan 31, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #1,713 of 1,751
A dusty PCB wont affect the sound. But the battery has. When you meant degraded, its getting grainy ? I too got that problem then. I think one of the caps must be the problem, because if I am not wrong these devices are meant to work on a constant voltage current, and there must be a regulartor inside them for this.
No, mine isn't sounding audibly grainger but the overall sound quality has dropped.

Some micro-details in a song are harder to hear. The instrument separation has gotten poor. It just sounds like a lower tier DAP.

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #1,714 of 1,751
No, mine isn't sounding audibly grainger but the overall sound quality has dropped.

Some micro-details in a song are harder to hear. The instrument separation has gotten poor. It just sounds like a lower tier DAP.

Mine was also not grainy to be exact. but more like I am hearing only the main instruments, the micro details which were out of the box sounded muffled. Also lost some air in top end. To say, something wrong totally, even my phone sounded better. I was thinking it was happening in the mind but not.

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #1,715 of 1,751
Mine was also not grainy to be exact. but more like I am hearing only the main instruments, the micro details which were out of the box sounded muffled. Also lost some air in top end. To say, something wrong totally, even my phone sounded better. I was thinking it was happening in the mind but not.
Pretty much

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #1,716 of 1,751
I don't really know where to get the battery so I will be auditioning the Aune m2 and m2 pro this weekend and see if it's a worthy upgrade.

People complain about the ui of the aune but i think that its about the same as the X10. Can't get any worse tbh.

Feb 4, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #1,717 of 1,751
Hi, thanks for the review.
Can you let me know if it is possible to delete songs during listening, using the buttons of the player without looking at the screen? I ask this becuase I often review music while on the bicycle, and don't want to look at the screen while driving. With my old Sandisk I could delete songs because is has a fixed sequence of button operations.
Thanks,
Herman

Feb 23, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #1,718 of 1,751
Any one know what the X10 converts dsd files to when using the optical out?

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #1,719 of 1,751
Hi, thanks for the review.
Can you let me know if it is possible to delete songs during listening, using the buttons of the player without looking at the screen? I ask this becuase I often review music while on the bicycle, and don't want to look at the screen while driving. With my old Sandisk I could delete songs because is has a fixed sequence of button operations.
Thanks,
Herman

I received the X10 and could not wait to play with it. So far I arrive at mixed experiences:
  1. Audio quality is excellent. Very balanced, nuanced and detailed, good soundstage. I don't miss an equaliser. For very dull recordings, the "high gain" button adds a tiny bit of extra bass (and volume).
  2. It feels very solid in the hand and is nice to look at.
  3. Something went wrong in the manufacturing of my example: the 2nd SD slot does not allow me to introduce a uSD card (TF) there. I'm in contact with the vendor and trust they are able to solve this.
  4. Physical buttons are important for me for using the player on the bike. However these buttons are over-sensitive; sometimes I touch the fwd or back button once but it executes it as a double press. I wonder if this is a flaw in my example, or a structural design flaw (I haven't seen others complaining on this aspect).
  5. For the same reason of using the player while cycling, control via the buttons in the headphone cord (CTIA standard) looked like an important plus to me. I tried 2 of these cords, but the result is very disappointing (the cords work perfect on 2 types of Samsung phones).. Mostly the player does not react at all, and in the rare events that there is a response, the response is unpredictable (e.g. jumps to a random file in the same folder).
  6. Hickups are rather frequent. They occur more than 1x per hour, even when the player is set to lock (to rule out unwanted touching of buttons as a possible cause). In earlier reviews I saw the recommendation that hickups occur as a result of too many files in a folder - but I experience hickups in folders with only 8 tracks.
  7. I miss the possibility to play from playlists. I often use M3U playlists as cross-section through different genres and folders (e.g. unplugged, beatles covers, etc) - but as far as I can see no type of playlist is supported by the X10.
To other owners of an X10: please share your experiences with the over-sensitive buttons (item 4), the failing control via headphone buttons (item 5) and hickups (item 6).
I'm curious if I had a bad example, or that these flaws are structural for this type.

Kind regards,
Herman

Feb 24, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #1,720 of 1,751
I received the X10 and could not wait to play with it. So far I arrive at mixed experiences:
  1. Audio quality is excellent. Very balanced, nuanced and detailed, good soundstage. I don't miss an equaliser. For very dull recordings, the "high gain" button adds a tiny bit of extra bass (and volume).
  3. Something went wrong in the manufacturing of my example: the 2nd SD slot does not allow me to introduce a uSD card (TF) there. I'm in contact with the vendor and trust they are able to solve this.
  4. Physical buttons are important for me for using the player on the bike. However these buttons are over-sensitive; sometimes I touch the fwd or back button once but it executes it as a double press. I wonder if this is a flaw in my example, or a structural design flaw (I haven't seen others complaining on this aspect).
  5. For the same reason of using the player while cycling, control via the buttons in the headphone cord (CTIA standard) looked like an important plus to me. I tried 2 of these cords, but the result is very disappointing (the cords work perfect on 2 types of Samsung phones).. Mostly the player does not react at all, and in the rare events that there is a response, the response is unpredictable (e.g. jumps to a random file in the same folder).
  6. Hickups are rather frequent. They occur more than 1x per hour, even when the player is set to lock (to rule out unwanted touching of buttons as a possible cause). In earlier reviews I saw the recommendation that hickups occur as a result of too many files in a folder - but I experience hickups in folders with only 8 tracks.
  7. I miss the possibility to play from playlists. I often use M3U playlists as cross-section through different genres and folders (e.g. unplugged, beatles covers, etc) - but as far as I can see no type of playlist is supported by the X10.
To other owners of an X10: please share your experiences with the over-sensitive buttons (item 4), the failing control via headphone buttons (item 5) and hickups (item 6).
I'm curious if I had a bad example, or that these flaws are structural for this type.

Kind regards,
Herman
There is

Feb 24, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #1,721 of 1,751

Kind regards,
Herman
Answers
4. I have not had any problems with the buttons when I used the X10

5.There is simply no support for headphone control buttons on the X10

6.I have not gotten any hiccups like yours but there is a problem with file playback. Sometimes, a perfectly good file will not be able to play due to an "error file" issue. This is permanent for said file and can only be solved by converting it to another format. Problematic FLAC files can be solved easily by reconverting it to FLAC but with mp3 files you have to pick between larger file size (convert to FLAC) or lower sound quality (convert to mp3 resulting in double compression)

Feb 25, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #1,723 of 1,751
I just emailed support at xDuoo and asked them to issue new fw for the X10. I may start doing this on a daily/weekly basis. Maybe if WE become a nuisance, they may capitulate...

Feb 25, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #1,725 of 1,751
just sent them an e-mail as well.
Sic 'em... The sad thing is that I really like the X10 SQ via optical. The kinks of stutter, no gapless, inconsistent album art, et. al., just make it difficult to pull it out of the drawer. I can't return it. I might as well harass them over it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back