Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Apr 13, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #3,108 of 3,931
Emailed cutom iem and got a responce very quickly. I have to fill in an order form before they can give me any further information on the questions I asked. Seems a bit odd...

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #3,109 of 3,931
We do store all impressions, until we run out of space (which hasn't happened yet).

That said, after a year, it might be worth getting some new impressions anyway, just to give us the best chance of getting you a good fit!

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #3,110 of 3,931

Quote:
I finally gave up trying to contact Ampcity about the problems I've been having and went straight to UM Global. Within 30 minutes I received a polite email from them which confirmed that the driver upgrade did not take place based on the pictures I sent them.

Obviously gutted and annoyed that my IEMs will have to go back and be remoulded and upgraded which will hopefully not take another 8 weeks, but at least I'm getting somewhere. The cable should arrive today so I'll get a chance to try out the fit over the weekend and see if I need to get the right one refitted too, might as well make sure I get it all sorted in one sitting.

How many things have to go wrong with your ciem?

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #3,112 of 3,931
UM lab does store ear impressions for about a year and more. After that, as said, you should really get a new pair. 
Our ear grows even if our body stops growing, and the canal shape changes every 2~5 years even for adults. 

Quote:
We do store all impressions, until we run out of space (which hasn't happened yet).

That said, after a year, it might be worth getting some new impressions anyway, just to give us the best chance of getting you a good fit!

The reason why I ask customers to fill out the forms is because many questions can be answered by the order form, and if there's additional questions, it would be easier to answer after we know what you need. Plus, the form takes about 2 minutes to fill out anyway. 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Emailed cutom iem and got a responce very quickly. I have to fill in an order form before they can give me any further information on the questions I asked. Seems a bit odd...

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #3,113 of 3,931
Hey all,

There has been lots of complains lately about the waiting time and poor service, so I had a long conversation with them. 

Here, I hope to clear things up a little. 

Customers who ordered through me had their waiting time prolonged from 3~4 weeks to 4~5 weeks. That's due to the amount of orders and their move (yes, UM lab is moving to another location near by with better facilities). But other than that, the reason why it takes way more time if you ordered through other distributors (some) is that they collect a bunch of orders first before they ship together to UM lab, and UM lab will ship it back to the distributor, who will then ship to customers. That's a couple of weeks or so more to wait already. Also, UM lab told me that sometimes they had to wait for some of the distributors' payment before they ship, and when they delay the payment, more time is delayed. The actually time that UM lab spent to create those didn't change much actually. 

As per order details going wrong, it may be mis-communication between the distributor and the lab, and also mistakes on the lab's part from time to time. UM lab guaranteed me to pick up their quality again by scrutinizing all details and paying attention to all details. With their new factory manufacture line that they are setting up in their new lab this month, the quality control will be even better than before. 

If you guys have any questions, feel free to email me at stephenguo@live.com

Cheers to all,
Stephen

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #3,114 of 3,931
Also, to quote myself again, UM lab will use 3D scanner to scan ear impressions, so they will keep a digital copy of your ear to store for a long time. 

Quote:
UM lab does store ear impressions for about a year and more. After that, as said, you should really get a new pair. 
Our ear grows even if our body stops growing, and the canal shape changes every 2~5 years even for adults. 

The reason why I ask customers to fill out the forms is because many questions can be answered by the order form, and if there's additional questions, it would be easier to answer after we know what you need. Plus, the form takes about 2 minutes to fill out anyway. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #3,116 of 3,931
First class work, Stephen. I've always been happy with your service!

@Communism, last year I asked UM to ship my impressions back to me. When I needed to send my CIEM back for repair, I sent them back the same impressions. They accepted it.

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #3,117 of 3,931
First class work, Stephen. I've always been happy with your service!
@Communism, last year I asked UM to ship my impressions back to me. When I needed to send my CIEM back for repair, I sent them back the same impressions. They accepted it.

I'm confused, if they have the 3d scan of the impressions, why did they need you to resend them :) ?

PS can't wait for my SM3x8/Mage/3w3d remade in the new universal molds to be back (UMLab said end of the month).

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #3,118 of 3,931

Quote:
I'm confused, if they have the 3d scan of the impressions, why did they need you to resend them
smily_headphones1.gif
?
PS can't wait for my SM3x8/Mage/3w3d remade in the new universal molds to be back (UMLab said end of the month).

The key point here is "last year".

As said by Stephen:

Quote:
Also, to quote myself again, UM lab will use 3D scanner to scan ear impressions, so they will keep a digital copy of your ear to store for a long time.

That means they don't make 3d scans yet, but they will do.
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #3,120 of 3,931
Quote:

Quote:
UM lab does store ear impressions for about a year and more. 

I'm really pleased to hear this, Stephen. I was pushing for UM to use 3D scanning, 6 months ago:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/577182/unique-melody-ordering-questions-any-help-appreciated#post_7846302

It's inescapably where the industry is headed and customer and producer alike stand to gain from use of the technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back