Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #2,971 of 3,931
the 5eb can be upgraded to 5 drivers, it will be $599. 

For those who want to order, can email me at stephenguo@live.com

Quote:
Quick question for UM I have super.fi5EB is it possible to remold it with two additional TWFK drivers?

[EDIT] Well,ok I found SFEBx5 on UM global website. I couldn't find pricing though.
Now question is how does it sound compared to Merlin? Do I need enormous ears to fit UE dynamic driver?

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #2,972 of 3,931
out of interest, has anyone heard anything from UMAus at all in the past few weeks?
Did they all go on a holiday, join a period of depressive introspection or get run over by a bus maybe ?

http://www.head-fi.org/u/164485/uniquemelodyaus / http://www.head-fi.org/forums/posts/by_user/id/164485
>Last online: 8 hours, 2 minutes ago

hm.... UMAus is out there :D ...

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #2,973 of 3,931
^ I sent them an email on friday asking the status of my reshell. Got a reply today, which is strange considering they dont work on weekends. I also got a reply on a saturday last week, when i changed the design of my iem. My guess is that they're really swamped with unread emails that they decided to start replying on weekend. I'm not really worried if they didn't reply my email though, since I live 10 minutes away from their office

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #2,974 of 3,931
No no, UMAus is alive and well. They answered all my emails. They were even nice enough to hold their shipment for another day so I could hand in my earpieces to them. The next shipment was to be in two weeks time. Two extra weeks of waiting would of been excruciating. Excellent customer service indeed!

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #2,975 of 3,931

I had a UE700 reshelled, with an added bass driver. I wanted to contribute some impressions because I haven't read any yet. Maybe it's not common to reshell the UE700? Anyway:

Originally, the IEM was known to have a really good portrayal of soundstage depth, as well as a focus on upper mids and having extended treble while maintaining good detail. The main criticisms against it were that the treble could be "hot" and shrill, oftentimes turning siblant. It also tended to be relatively bass light. My story with the UE700s were that I liked their sound, although I hated the build quality and the cable. I eventually decided to have them reshelled after the cables turned so hard that they started to curl up on their own and pop out of my ears during normal listening. During the turnover process I asked UM to do something about the treble, which was even brighter (albeit with lesser detail and extension) than my HE-6. The local UM rep told me that UM doesn't really do custom tuning anymore unlike in the past, but he'll try. I don't know if the request got through.

UM added a Knowles CI22955 for the bass, and kept the (way too popular) Knowles TWFK for the mids and highs.

Top to bottom: UE700x3, UM Mage, Original UE700

To describe the sound now, the UM UE700x3 in my opinion is mid centric, with accurate bass response and relaxed treble. Think of the treble as something similar to the HD650 (in terms of soundsig and frequency response, not detail retrieval) On some tracks it can tend towards the warm side, with an emphasis on the lower mids. In other words, there's a huge difference post-reshell, and it sounds like a typical UM custom now. I've auditioned the Aero, Merlin and Miracle. I'll discuss what I didn't like so much first:

First of all, I wasn't expecting something that sounded like a stage monitor to come back, since I liked the sound of the original UE700. I thought the original sound signature would be maintained, with a bass boost from the extra driver. Luckily, it turned out alright because they sound great. Next, for some reason the UE700x3 can sound a bit muddled in fast tracks, which never happened before when it was brighter. It doesn't happen with the Westone 4 or the SM3, so I'm left wondering why as the bass response is quick and accurate. Unfortunately, my guess is because the treble response was lowered too much in order to be in line with the UM sound signature. It's something I'm willing to live with though since the accurate soundstge (which was the most important thing) is still there. The original UE700 also seemed to be more detailed, although that might be misconception because of the warmer tone.

What I liked about the UE700x3 is the suddenly impactful and punchy bass which I'd never have dreamed of given how it sounded in the past, as well as how smooth vocals sound on them now. Given the frequency response charts, I wouldn't be surprised if they now sound quite similar to the more expensive UM Mage (I bought the UE700 for around $100). The impressions I've been reading about the Mage on the review threads pretty much say the same thing as my earlier descriptions. In conclusion, the only I can advice is that if you're adding drivers to your IEM during the reshell, don't expect the same sound. In fact, expect a drastic change in sound. It can turn out for the better (or worse), depending on the listener.

Feb 27, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #2,976 of 3,931
Well, you can find a Mage chart in

http://www.head-fi.org/t/448215/unique-melody-mage-review-appreciation-thread

By the looks of it,
12 db between 1k and 5k
2-3db between 1.5k peak and 100hz peak

Which means you have a slightly less prominent 100hz peak, but less of a relative roll-off down from 100hz,
and your 5k peak is narrower and less tall.

Overall it looks pretty nice. I actually wanted to get a UE700 and get a TWFK+CI combo (mostly because I really enjoyed it on tha mage, with their crossover/tuning), but ended up going for a Mage instead since UM couldn't give me a FR chart for UE700x3 and were saying it probably won't sound like a mage (probably a nice way of saying buy a mage :wink: ). Now I sort of wish I went the UE700 reshell route. Although at the end of the day buying a mage is probably faster/safer (though UM will test the drivers you supply and offer to replace them if they're faulty, or replace them for free), so I don't really mind.

(so you ended up paying around 280 + 100 (ue700) + $50 (cable) + 50 (shipping?) = roughly $500 ?

>In conclusion, the only I can advice is that if you're adding drivers to your IEM during the reshell, don't expect the same sound.

errr, well, if you're adding drivers and changing the xovers and filters/making it a custom... you know...

btw, charts from different sources are generally not comparable due to measurement conditions and potentially different smoothing and compensation curves used. (UM to UM is though)

Feb 27, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #2,977 of 3,931
Well, you can find a Mage chart in
http://www.head-fi.org/t/448215/unique-melody-mage-review-appreciation-thread

(so you ended up paying around 280 + 100 (ue700) + $50 (cable) + 50 (shipping?) = roughly $500 ?
errr, well, if you're adding drivers and changing the xovers and filters/making it a custom... you know...
btw, charts from different sources are generally not comparable due to measurement conditions and potentially different smoothing and compensation curves used. (UM to UM is though)

- Yes, I ended up paying close to the amount you mentioned but without the shipping costs since it was shouldered by the local UM distributor.

- I'm more of a headphone person and not well read on customs, so I really didn't expect the sound to change so much because of a single added driver and crossover. The UM rep said the sound would probably still be similar, so I took his word for it. The end result was nothing like the UE700, but luckily that's not such a bad thing.

- Thanks for the link and info about comparing charts from different sources!

Edit: I only guessed that UM was going to use a CI driver for the re-shell, since I read that the Mage uses a TWFK as well. I specifically wanted a custom with TWFK drivers because of kiteki, who seemed to hold them in high regard and mentioned them repeatedly in a lot of threads, specifically with the UE700 as the cheapest way to get generic TWFKs. She never got around to posting a review of her experiment though.

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #2,978 of 3,931
You should have gone thought all pages of this thread. There was a lot of talking done about CI-TWFK application UM does. Basically all of remolds turned out to sound really close. Mine totally customed, E5c x2 or CK10+CI and so one. There's even chart comparition of all CI-TWFK combos somewhere here.

As for me I'm still really liking my customs after few years of use. And I think that it's safe to say that UM application of TWFK driver is one of the best on the market

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #2,980 of 3,931

Quote:
Any word on how backed up they are right now?  I shipped a pair of TF10s their way for a remold back in mid January and imagine that they might be getting to mine soon.  Hard not to be excited.

Did you got yours already? I sent mine on February 2, they shipped it out ten days later, and on the 18th I asked if it was already in the lab, they said yes, but today I emailed UMAus regarding the progress, they only said a few more weeks with no ETA mentioned. Pretty disappointed actually, was promised 3-5 weeks turnaround time, and now they only said a few more weeks. I don't know how long their "few more weeks" is, but signs suggests it could be long

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #2,981 of 3,931

Quote:
Any word on how backed up they are right now?  I shipped a pair of TF10s their way for a remold back in mid January and imagine that they might be getting to mine soon.  Hard not to be excited.

Did your order get pushed back by the Chinese new year? That's strange because I got mine back in three weeks after sending them in last December. It was the 2nd batch in the country after the initial UM global launch.

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #2,982 of 3,931
Has anyone tried the UM Miracles unamped straight from an iPhone? I'm thinking of getting them, but I don't like carrying around amps so I'm wondering whether they're still worth their price tag without an amp, and whether they sound good specifically from an iPhone? 

Thanks in advance.

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #2,984 of 3,931
And just like that I get a shipping notification this morning and then they arrived today.  I'm not sure what to think yet.  They sound fantastic but feel way too tight.  I guess I had better start digging through the forums to find out if that is normal.  If I open my mouth I can feel my ears kind of pop.  They also ignored my request to do a color fade and just went all one color...  hmmmm

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #2,985 of 3,931
I find that the distributors usually get the tracking info late from UM China. Quite often I get the tracking info on the day they arrive or just a day before they arrive - i.e. UM informs their distributors the day after they ship out.

As for the tight feel, I had the same problem and after a couple of weeks my ears actually "shape" around the IEM.

Sometimes I wonder if the instructions of keeping your mouth open 1" whilst taking the impression is too much. At least for me when my mouth is closed it definitely creates a better seal but maybe a little too tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back