Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #2,912 of 3,931
So after a few of months of to-and-fro of my distorted SE530x8 between myself & UM (great thx to Stephen Guo for proxy-ing) I finally got my SE530x8 back fully repaired. I've found that the IEM sounds most exciting through an external DAC/Amp.

In fact the difference straight out of the iPhone vs. an external DAC/Amp (highly upgraded Go-DAP 4.0) is so big that without the external DAC/Amp the SE530x8 sounds almost lifeless. I don't know if this is the case with other UM IEMs or if it's specific to 8-driver upgrades (more drivers, more umph required??). I should have a pair of Merlin's on their way to me from UM's Japan promo so I'd have another pair of custom IEMs to compare against.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #2,913 of 3,931
I just thought I'd update this thread as I have just received my Shure E4c reshells from UM Aus, this was part of the Aus launch promo from last Nov (yes I was one of the lucky few :)

This pair was supplied with the standard cable and as you can see the workmanship is of the usual high standards that UM has built a reputation for. It was a pleasant surprise that a frequency graph was also supplied and UM Aus has a procedure of safe-filing these making copies for clients as requested. From the graph the mid to highs have a similar frequency shape as the miracles but the low end has a drop which is a known trait of this monitor (disclaimer: I am not implying that these IEM's sound like the Miracles). What is interesting is that when I AB'd these reshells with an original pair with custom-sleeves, they have a better bass response possibly due to better port construction or maybe due to a more solid mounting as compared to the original. A very welcomed improvement indeed!

For the color options I chose yellow for the faceplate with clear shells and orange and purple for left and right tips respectively. I really like how they came out except for the purple which turned out a bit darker than I expected although as far as purple moulds go it is really quite nice, I was just hoping for more translucency but probably forgot to mention it in the order form... my bad.

They are smaller than the originals with custom-sleeves and actually have a better fit with a similar high comfort level compared to the silicon custom-sleeves. Insertion is also similar however removing them is totally opposite as I pull on the top part with the silicon custom-sleeves but for the hard-acrylic UM reshells they come off easier when pulled from the bottom.

I have used the originals with custom-sleeves for many years in all kinds of conditions and usages being a musician and motorsport enthusiast and I am very keen to try these out similarly especially as a stage monitor and also on long 4-6hr motorbike rides... time will definitely tell...
etysmile.gif

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #2,914 of 3,931
I'm sorry if this question has been asked many times but I was wondering if UM's dealer in the US can do the reshell and upgrade to 8 drivers here in the US. I'm a bit concerned about shipping my customs to China and the possibility of them getting lost. 

Thanks 

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #2,916 of 3,931

Quote:
I just thought I'd update this thread as I have just received my Shure E4c reshells from UM Aus, this was part of the Aus launch promo from last Nov (yes I was one of the lucky few :)

This pair was supplied with the standard cable and as you can see the workmanship is of the usual high standards that UM has built a reputation for.

For the color options I chose yellow for the faceplate with clear shells and orange and purple for left and right tips respectively. I really like how they came out except for the purple which turned out a bit darker than I expected although as far as purple moulds go it is really quite nice, I was just hoping for more translucency but probably forgot to mention it in the order form... my bad.

That looks like a particularly nice re-shelling job - the acrylic is absolutely crystal clear.

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #2,918 of 3,931

Quote:
No, the labs are in China. No UM lab in USA at present.

Thanks. What is the function of the USA dealer then? 

Jan 16, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #2,919 of 3,931
To liase with customers in English language, to make shipping of impressions easier, to provide advice to customers in English, and because UM don't tend to deal with customers directly - their Australian distributor apparently set up their global customer-based websites, since UM wish to deal with making their IEMs rather than directly retailing them. Stephen (USA dealer) is not part of this global network but (as I understand it) operates independently. Stephen's customer service is reputed to be top-notch.

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #2,920 of 3,931
I've had my JH13s reshelled for the 2nd time.  The first reshell broke with extended use.  I probably bumped it somewhere, I have no idea.

Here's the first reshell.

And 2nd reshell, both are done by UM.

Fit and build quality were perfect for both reshells.

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #2,922 of 3,931

I reckon both re-shells look awesome in their own way. I'm curious about the 1st reshell - was that done as a 'custom metal insert', or was it simply laser-engraved and then glitter or foil embedded in the laser-engraved void?

I've just seen a really classy, and understated, 'custom metal insert' artwork on UM's facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=365570963459791&set=a.184051318278424.54421.145824605434429&type=1&theater

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #2,923 of 3,931
That classy pair has azure shell, titanium faceplates, and snowflake metal artworks.

Quote:

I reckon both re-shells look awesome in their own way. I'm curious about the 1st reshell - was that done as a 'custom metal insert', or was it simply laser-engraved and then glitter or foil embedded in the laser-engraved void?

I've just seen a really classy, and understated, 'custom metal insert' artwork on UM's facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=365570963459791&set=a.184051318278424.54421.145824605434429&type=1&theater

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #2,924 of 3,931

Quote:
That classy pair has azure shell, titanium faceplates, and snowflake metal artworks.

Sorry Matt; slightly 'crossed wires' above, in as much as my question about artwork technique was in reference to this example:

..but I do really like the snowflake artwork on the UM Facebook page. Excellent job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back