Ultrasone Signature DJ
Jul 13, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #1,861 of 2,701
Just compared my T5p to the Sig DJ and bad news. The T5p makes the Sig DJ sound veiled. The T5p sounds so much clearer, airy, just listen to Lindsey Sterling's track "Swag". The violin just sounds so much better on the T5p. Ah man, don't know what to do now. The only thing the T5p lacks is bass. Other than that, it's better than the Sig DJ in every other aspect. Sorry folks.

What are your impressions on Sub Bass/Bass Extension and Bass tactility, detail (both in comparison)

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #1,862 of 2,701
Thats the thing I'm talking about :wink:

Sometimes reminds me of a joke that might loose its point a bit in translation... anyway: at some time german engineers produced the thinnest possible wire and did not know what to do with their accomplishment. so they sent a sample to japanese colleagues, describing their fantastical production process and ending with the question: any idea what to do with that? some time later the japanese engineers sent back the sample, accompanied by a letter: "we didn't know what to do with it either. so we drilled a hole through it. in length."

Not that I prefer japanese voicing (while I do like the Fostex cans I cannot say the same about Audio Technica e.g.), but their technical skills and attention to detail are impressive.

Fostex attention to detail is crazy making - they even used duralumin exclusively on the TH900 quarter inch jack housing :cool:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duralumin
I actually like AUDIO TECHNICA cans, especially the ATH-W-1000X :L3000:

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #1,863 of 2,701
  Just compared my T5p to the Sig DJ and bad news. The T5p makes the Sig DJ sound veiled. The T5p sounds so much clearer, airy, just listen to Lindsey Sterling's track "Swag". The violin just sounds so much better on the T5p. Ah man, don't know what to do now. The only thing the T5p lacks is bass. Other than that, it's better than the Sig DJ in every other aspect. Sorry folks.

And this was similar to my experience with them coming from the PRO 900, which has more treble. Sig DJ lacked the high end extension and detail that makes me enjoy EDM most. My D2000 also has a more aggressive treble. I had the M-100 awhile back and kept it for a very short period of time, because I felt treble was lacking.

For many cans, treble is the decider. Some people are very sensitive to it, and others not so much. This seems to vary by individual, so only you can listen and decide what appeals to you. No right or wrong.  What appears as harsh/sibilant to one persons ears might be the very thing that makes a headphone very exciting/detailed to another. What appears as veiled and boring to one person may be the exact smooth/non fatiguing listen another person desires.

That's why I recommend always trying a headphone out, before making your decision. Reading my (or other peoples) personal opinions will only get you so far.

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #1,864 of 2,701
That's why I recommend always trying a headphone out, before making your decision. Reading my (or other peoples) personal opinions will only get you so far.

Hearing a headphone for yourself prior to laying down green is of course the golden rule - however, this is not always possible so people check others reviews which can be as confusing as they are informative with many reviews on a can being polar opposite from the next.

Good method to combat this confusion is to find a reviewer whom you can relate with and agree with their outlook and opinion of a can you also own - again this is not always possible either, but I've employed this method on some cans I've purchased in strength of reviewers I relate to and trust, and it's worked for me, but like anything, this method isn't foolproof.

Sometimes you've got to do some travelling if you want to hear a can first hand before committing cash, and if I ever considered something like the Abyss AB-1266 or STAX SR009, I don't care who or how good the reviews might be - for that chunk of change you need to get those puppies in your hands then on your head for a while before you part with your hard earned :wink:

Jul 13, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #1,865 of 2,701
  I just have too many headphones at the moment, so I have not heard the TH600 for quite some time. As I remember (can't verify at the moment as they're at my office) they are a bit U-shaped (not as much as the TH900 though), so mids are not recessed. Treble is a bit less present than with the T5p, but also a bit less refined. While still a fun signature, they are less opinionated than the Sig DJ I'd say. But also less portable/robust if thats important to you.

The two issues I have with the T5p is the lack of bass and the slight piercing treble at times. Sounds like the TH600 could very well fit my bill. Thanks for the insight.

Yeah?

Hmm...between plakat, HBB and yourself all reporting much goodness of Beyer, I know I'll have to check them out for myself.

Is the T5p as robust in build as the Sig DJ and is it bigger, smaller, chunkier?

Personally I would never give up my Sig DJ, for me it a keeper.

Picking up a new can would be an addition - such is the life of a headcan whore - lol
biggrin.gif

The T5p is built to last, as robust if not more than the Sig DJ.

For now, I am keeping both the T5p and Sig DJ. The T5p will be used for female voicing (Lana Del Rey), Lindsey Stirling (for that fantastic violin) and anything else with a focus on instruments and separation, whereas the Sig DJ is used for Rap, EDM, Metal (cause it does not hurt my ears like the T5p).

The T5p might be quite different from what you expect... I'd never actually compare it directly to the Sig DJ as these are at opposite sides of the spectrum to me.

While the T5p does have clear and deep reaching bass its not that present to be really fun with EDM. It seals very good, comfort is better than with the Sig DJ (deeper cups, wider inner diameter of the pads, also finished in soft leather. Cups don't fold flat and can't be compacted in any other way, so its much bigger to transport. As much as I love Beyerdynamic cans this might be the most troublesome instance to me... I'd rather recommend the T1 or maybe the T90, semi-open and open respectively and for home use only though. Which is why I found interest in the Ultrasone Signature series: robust, folding, portable.

I'm thinking of picking up a T1 again. I cannot remember if the T1 has piercing treble like the T5p though. That could be the deciding factor.

I owned the T70p for quite some time. The go into the same direction as the T5p, but not so extreme. When a lot of the headphones that I like today drop over 1000 Hz and come back with a small spike around 10000 Hz the Bayers do not drop, the either stay at the same loudness level (T70p), or either even climb a lot around 2000 Hz(T5p/T1 even more).
For long and healthy listening sessions, I prefer the dropped treble tuning of the Signatures over the pronounced treble tuning of the Beyerdynamics. For me the more laid back treble on the Ultrasone Signatures is a game changer and one reason to buy and keep them.
But if you come from a treble rich can like the T5p, a lot other cans will sound veiled firsthand. Listen to the Sig Dj for a week or so exclusively and then go back to your T5p, will probably lead to the feeling, that the T5p is much too bright.
Not saying that the Bayer tuning is wrong, it is just different.

Listening to Eminem Rhyme or Reason ALAC> Ipod Classic last gen>LOD>Fiio E12 low gain, bass boost off> Ultrasone Signature Dj  
L3000.gif

The T70/T70p are some of the most cold, analytical headphones around. I consider the T5p a lot warmer in my view.

I totally agree with you. Yes, the T5p treble is pronounced. With the wrong genre it would cause ear fatigue within the hour. I absolutely appreciate the smooth treble of the Sig DJ. The T5p and Sig DJ compliment each other well.

The thing is, violins sound just amazing on the T5p. It's just so obvious comparing it to the Sig DJ. That being said, listening to Lindsey Stirling on the Sig DJ is also great but for a completely different reason, the bass. Different sound signatures that both do justice to a fantastic artist.

What are your impressions on Sub Bass/Bass Extension and Bass tactility, detail (both in comparison)

The T5p has good bass extension, they go deep. However, they lack the slam, impact and the mid bass of the Sig DJ. The T5p is more detailed up top and sounds more airy. The Mids of the T5p are on a different level, just as the Bass of the Sig DJ is on another level.

And this was similar to my experience with them coming from the PRO 900, which has more treble. Sig DJ lacked the high end extension and detail that makes me enjoy EDM most. My D2000 also has a more aggressive treble. I had the M-100 awhile back and kept it for a very short period of time, because I felt treble was lacking.

For many cans, treble is the decider. Some people are very sensitive to it, and others not so much. This seems to vary by individual, so only you can listen and decide what appeals to you. No right or wrong.  What appears as harsh/sibilant to one persons ears might be the very thing that makes a headphone very exciting/detailed to another. What appears as veiled and boring to one person may be the exact smooth/non fatiguing listen another person desires.

I had the Pro900 and that was ridiculously clinical to my ears, so much more than the T5p. I totally see why the Sig DJ was not to your liking, I understand. You would love the T5p if it weren't for the lack of bass. Once Beyer get off their backside and release that Custom One Tesla we could have a game changer.

Jul 14, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #1,867 of 2,701
My Sig DJ is SD 00014. Feel free to kiss my ring.

Jul 14, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #1,868 of 2,701
Honestly I'd either want number 1 (for coolness factor) or as new number as possible as maybe and maybe there's ongoing slight improvement in the manufacturing etc that stabilizes the quality of it. Denon Dxxx series had a pretty much constant ongoing frequency response improvement, well slow but steady, Tyll has both some older and newer ones measured which shows a noticeable improvement (more balanced).

I don't think Ultrasone is such company that would be constantly trying to improve the lines of the headphones behind the scenes but well at least it would give my mind peace. lol

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #1,870 of 2,701
@Bloodflowerz

Custom One Tesla?

I like your way of thinking
wink.gif

Such a thing was actually announced, but is now delayed... Could indeed be an interesting option.

Honestly I'd either want number 1 (for coolness factor) or as new number as possible as maybe and maybe there's ongoing slight improvement in the manufacturing etc that stabilizes the quality of it. Denon Dxxx series had a pretty much constant ongoing frequency response improvement, well slow but steady, Tyll has both some older and newer ones measured which shows a noticeable improvement (more balanced).

I don't think Ultrasone is such company that would be constantly trying to improve the lines of the headphones behind the scenes but well at least it would give my mind peace. lol

At least the end-control procedures should in fact evolve over time, so later production models might be more consistent at least. I have to say that given the circumstances :wink:

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #1,871 of 2,701
Jul 14, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #1,872 of 2,701

Users who are viewing this thread

Back