Ultrasone Signature DJ
Jan 4, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #1,366 of 2,701
To the few that have both the SigDJ and the Alpha Dogs, can you give a comparison about just the mids, highs, and soundstage? We already know the SigDJ beat the Alpha Dogs in terms of bass because that's what they were built to do, but I'm quite interested in seeing how the SigDJs stack up in the Alpha Dog's strong areas. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #1,367 of 2,701
To the few that have both the SigDJ and the Alpha Dogs, can you give a comparison about just the mids, highs, and soundstage? We already know the SigDJ beat the Alpha Dogs in terms of bass because that's what they were built to do, but I'm quite interested in seeing how the SigDJs stack up in the Alpha Dog's strong areas. 
I have both. Tonality the ADs definitely sound more linear & that's how the maker intended it to be. As you can guess the ADs mids are more full but not overbearing & the highs do seem to extend more.

The ADs are less forgiving to poor mastering or poorly ripped tracks. Both are detailed but the ADs seem to have greater resolution.

If I stick to my review of where the SigDJs has a classy fun (U-shaped) signature, the ADs are more a connoisseur-styled signature.

Jan 4, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #1,368 of 2,701
I have both. Tonality the ADs definitely sound more linear & that's how the maker intended it to be. As you can guess the ADs mids are more full but not overbearing & the highs do seem to extend more.

The ADs are less forgiving to poor mastering or poorly ripped tracks. Both are detailed but the ADs seem to have greater resolution.

If I stick to my review of where the SigDJs has a classy fun (U-shaped) signature, the ADs are more a connoisseur-styled signature.

interesting comparison. sounds like the alpha dogs are a better value from that perspective. you can always EQ a classy fun signature lol. tho the SigDJs are portable while the AD does not seem to be as much.

Jan 4, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #1,369 of 2,701
  interesting comparison. sounds like the alpha dogs are a better value from that perspective. you can always EQ a classy fun signature lol. tho the SigDJs are portable while the AD does not seem to be as much.

I think they're just different. I don't think EQ would make the AD's bass anywhere near the levels of the SigDJ's fun though. For those who like their bass, even after EQ-ing the AD's I think will still prefer the SigDJ's. But for those who are looking for something that's more articulate, etc. the ADs will compliment the SigDJ's nicely. If I ever get rid of my SigDJ's it'll be only because I have too many headphones - as opposed to the ADs replacing it.

About portability, the AD's aren't as portable as the SigDJs. Having said that, I've been taking them out quite a bit these few days.

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #1,370 of 2,701
So i'm really liking the mod i did to them (if stuffing tissue paper under the earcups can be considered a mod, lol)

Sounds very similar but with an even larger soundstage. Almost like a slight v shaped eq to the sound really. Wierd.

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #1,371 of 2,701
So i'm really liking the mod i did to them (if stuffing tissue paper under the earcups can be considered a mod, lol)

Sounds very similar but with an even larger soundstage. Almost like a slight v shaped eq to the sound really. Wierd.

noo... it's considered a hackk 
wink.gif

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #1,372 of 2,701
Eww. Found a dark side to the tissue paper mod. First the tissue paper has to be replaced every week or so because the tissue paper becomes compressed, and second i took the tissue paper out and the earpads had flattened out, different from before. Put the headphones back in the case for a day (and was that hard to do omg) and the earpads are back to normal now. Ima keep the headphones normal now :3

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #1,373 of 2,701
Eww. Found a dark side to the tissue paper mod. First the tissue paper has to be replaced every week or so because the tissue paper becomes compressed, and second i took the tissue paper out and the earpads had flattened out, different from before. Put the headphones back in the case for a day (and was that hard to do omg) and the earpads are back to normal now. Ima keep the headphones normal now :3

Try synthetic rope.

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #1,374 of 2,701
Just joined the mix as a new Signature DJ owner.  Will post my impressions when I get them, probably not until early next week.

I had planned on going with the TH900 but after lots of Head Fi reading over the last few days, I was finally able to kick the little devil off of my shoulder that was telling me to ignore my budget.  So I am going with a cheaper alternative in the SigDJ.

On Amazon right now the seller "Wiki Deals" has them for $950 and there is a 10% off discount applied at checkout, so I got them for $850.  I think the seller only had 1 or 2 left, so get it at that price quick if you are on the fence!

As a background for where I am coming from for when I drop my review next week, the only audiophile cans I have owned are:

Sennheiser HD598 -- Loved the mids and highs but sub bass was almost nonexistent.  I listen to a lot of electronic based music so this was an immediate deal breaker
HifiMan HE400 -- Mids were amazing, highs were sparkly and clear and I didn't feel any peaks that bothered me.  Bass was detailed and lush...but alas the sub bass just wasn't good enough.  I'm sure it was fine from a technical perspective, but there are too many moments in electronic music where that skull crushing feeling is absolutely necessary for the full enjoyment of the music.  Had to send them back and decided no more open cans for me
Denon D600 -- Decided to scale back after the HE400 and go with an entry level basshead can.  Loved the thick bass in electronic music on these.  Unfortunately, finally getting that right came at the expense of everything else.  Did not like any genre I played in these other than bass-centric electronic.  Muddy, muffled, with uneven vocal peaks caused by frequency spikes. 

I can tell from descriptions of the SigDJ that the bass will be worthy enough to justify the purchase.  The deal breaker will be everything else.  Muddiness/lack of clarity is going to be my main concern.  Neutrality is not a concern for me at all as long as the music sounds engaging and immersive. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #1,377 of 2,701
Just joined the mix as a new Signature DJ owner.  Will post my impressions when I get them, probably not until early next week.

I had planned on going with the TH900 but after lots of Head Fi reading over the last few days, I was finally able to kick the little devil off of my shoulder that was telling me to ignore my budget.  So I am going with a cheaper alternative in the SigDJ.

On Amazon right now the seller "Wiki Deals" has them for $950 and there is a 10% off discount applied at checkout, so I got them for $850.  I think the seller only had 1 or 2 left, so get it at that price quick if you are on the fence!

As a background for where I am coming from for when I drop my review next week, the only audiophile cans I have owned are:

Sennheiser HD598 -- Loved the mids and highs but sub bass was almost nonexistent.  I listen to a lot of electronic based music so this was an immediate deal breaker
HifiMan HE400 -- Mids were amazing, highs were sparkly and clear and I didn't feel any peaks that bothered me.  Bass was detailed and lush...but alas the sub bass just wasn't good enough.  I'm sure it was fine from a technical perspective, but there are too many moments in electronic music where that skull crushing feeling is absolutely necessary for the full enjoyment of the music.  Had to send them back and decided no more open cans for me
Denon D600 -- Decided to scale back after the HE400 and go with an entry level basshead can.  Loved the thick bass in electronic music on these.  Unfortunately, finally getting that right came at the expense of everything else.  Did not like any genre I played in these other than bass-centric electronic.  Muddy, muffled, with uneven vocal peaks caused by frequency spikes. 

I can tell from descriptions of the SigDJ that the bass will be worthy enough to justify the purchase.  The deal breaker will be everything else.  Muddiness/lack of clarity is going to be my main concern.  Neutrality is not a concern for me at all as long as the music sounds engaging and immersive. 

You wont find a lack of clarity here unless you are comparing to an open back at the same price range :D

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #1,378 of 2,701
Try synthetic rope.

Sounds like it would work but im satisfied with the djs either way. And as that seemed to stretch the earpads out im leaning towards leaving the earpads alone lol

But it did have a cool effect on the sound. Very noticable.

Plus i wanna keep the djs normal sounding for when i get to try out the didos :D

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #1,379 of 2,701
Anyone here who happened to have both Sig dj and Denon D7100? What is the main difference between these two? The price is almost the same while the sound is almost the same judging by the reviews I read.

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #1,380 of 2,701
I do.  To my ears the bass is deeper on the dj than the 7000.  The dj's are more resolving.  The 7000 is not a portable phone and no longer made so kind of hard to find.  I like them both and would have a hard decision to make if I had to give one up but would probably keep the dj's although the 7000 are a little bit more comfortable to me.  7000 does not have user a user replaceable cord and does not have a single sided cord like the dj.  Every little point matters to some users. To me I like the deeper bass and clarity of sound of the dj.  I also have HD600 and HD650 both with custom cords and I prefer the sound of both the 7000 and dj to the Senns but comparing a open back to closed back phone probably isn't really fair as they are two different animals.  What I like and what you like might be totally different.   Buy a dj where you have a 30 trial.  That is the only way you can tell if it is for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back