Ultrasone Signature DJ
Oct 31, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #211 of 2,701
Quote:

you need to hear something better, or a stationary amp.  after all you've heard mostly portable amp(no dis).  the best of portable amp, still not even close to most home amp(same price). benchmark dac1 is decent as a dac, not exactly good for the amp part. 

What are you intending to use the Ed8 with then yourself, outta curiosity? A pity that by the time I picked up my HP-A8, I had already gotten rid of the Ed8LE. Having said that though, If I need such a hefty amp just to make the Ed8 sound good, then I think the money is better spend on the SigPros which provides an easier SQ improvement (to my ears anyway) with less $$.

I wouldn't diss the Rx Mk3 that easily though...it may be a portable amp but it's comparable to some desktop amp.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #212 of 2,701
Quote:

What are you intending to use the Ed8 with then yourself, outta curiosity? A pity that by the time I picked up my HP-A8, I had already gotten rid of the Ed8LE. Having said that though, If I need such a hefty amp just to make the Ed8 sound good, then I think the money is better spend on the SigPros which provides an easier SQ improvement (to my ears anyway) with less $$.

I wouldn't diss the Rx Mk3 that easily though...it may be a portable amp but it's comparable to some desktop amp.

no more amp upgrade for me so only with the amps i have

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #213 of 2,701
Quote:
before/first time, i was using some schiit amp with some unknown source.  that ain't bad i remember.  maybe i didn't listen to my home rig for a long time.  felt like sig pro, which i love, with bigger bass. today, i listened again with just my portable setup.  an ipod, apple lossless, with sr71a, which i usually use with sig pro when i'm away.  today, i felt, it's dark, it's lifeless.  recessed mids.  the high extent nice enough though.  of course that comparing to sig pro.  maybe i've been using my home rig a lot lately?  the recessed mids, felt like ed8 with a bad(portable) amp/source.  so maybe that's why?  now i'm thinking if i should get this, or maybe i'll get ed8 first?  or something else.  i have everything i need.  i just want something i want
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks for the feedback.  My only question is the two highlighted statements seem somewhat contradictory.  I understand if you need more time to accurately compare.  If other reviews are lukewarm, I will stay with my M-100s and save $700, so my bank account is hoping for bad reviews :wink:

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #214 of 2,701
Quote:

no more amp upgrade for me so only with the amps i have

But are you going to use them at home? Or in a portable setting? Why go with an Ultrasone for the Home rig and not something like the Fostex TH900?

I've tried my Signature Pros with portables such as JDSLabs c421 and Leckerton UHA 6SMKII and also with my home amps Nuforce Icon HDP and Lehman Black Cube Linear and from ALL of them they sound excellent. Quite frankly, I like the pairing with my Leckerton MORE than I like it with the BCL...

So... basically what I'm saying is... don't expect to get all that much out of these Ultrasones just by changing amps... From the headphones I have, only the Senn HD600s and MrSpeakers Mad Dogs have benefit from ample raw power...

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #215 of 2,701
Quote:

But are you going to use them at home? Or in a portable setting? Why go with an Ultrasone for the Home rig and not something like the Fostex TH900?

I've tried my Signature Pros with portables such as JDSLabs c421 and Leckerton UHA 6SMKII and also with my home amps Nuforce Icon HDP and Lehman Black Cube Linear and from ALL of them they sound excellent. Quite frankly, I like the pairing with my Leckerton MORE than I like it with the BCL...

So... basically what I'm saying is... don't expect to get all that much out of these Ultrasones just by changing amps... From the headphones I have, only the Senn HD600s and MrSpeakers Mad Dogs have benefit from ample raw power...

Good questions :wink:. And personally I do agree that at least for the Ed8 I've not seen different amps changing it that much and if I had to spend a lot to get a decent amp to drive it, then I'd pick a different headphone (and in fact I did - I went from the Ed8LE straight to the TH-900 which was great in complimenting with my SR-009s).

I'd personally consider the SigPros and SigDJ for outside use.

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #217 of 2,701
Quote:
I've heard the ED8, it sounds bright and thin to my ears.  So between the signature pros and the DJs, which one is the brighter one?
normal_smile .gif

Couldn't say. But just so you know, my initial thoughts before getting the Sig Pros were exactly that (i.e. that they were going to be bright and ear-piercing with HUUUGGEEE bass.). It is not. Treble extension is excellent but it is not "bright", at least not even in the way that my Shure SRH940s, Grados, etc. were. So I guess that you will definitely be "safe" from that.

About the Signature DJ... still waiting! :frowning2:

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #218 of 2,701
I have been looking at the Ultrasone site and the Signature DJ has a 50mm Mylar driver. The Signature Pro has a 40mm Titanium-Plated driver. The Edition 8 has a Tri-bass-Tube Titanium-Plated Mylar Drivers. Just thought everyone would like to know about what drivers are being used.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #220 of 2,701
SO CLOSE to some impressions, finally. Come on people! Tell me they are a nightclub in a can without jackhammer highs. YES!

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #221 of 2,701
Quote:
I love my Sig DJs :) They are still unamped tho and my first higher quality headphones so I'm scared to say anything.

LOL!
Don't be scared! We don't bite! ... ... (well, at least I don't...)

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #222 of 2,701
Quote:
I love my Sig DJs :) They are still unamped tho and my first higher quality headphones so I'm scared to say anything.

Tell us what you think! Any info is good info! There's nothing wrong with what you could say! It will be cool to hear your perspective. And gelocks would be the first to bite, but he's pretty harmless. 

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #223 of 2,701
Quote:
I have been looking at the Ultrasone site and the Signature DJ has a 50mm Mylar driver. The Signature Pro has a 40mm Titanium-Plated driver. The Edition 8 has a Tri-bass-Tube Titanium-Plated Mylar Drivers. Just thought everyone would like to know about what drivers are being used.

Interestingly we talked to Ultrasone's CEO and COO at the Fujiya Autumn Festival. If I remember the conversation correctly I believe the decision of moving away from titanium for the SigDJ was from feedback from customers about the brightness of titanium in their past headphones.

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #225 of 2,701
Quote:

Interestingly we talked to Ultrasone's CEO and COO at the Fujiya Autumn Festival. If I remember the conversation correctly I believe the decision of moving away from titanium for the SigDJ was from feedback from customers about the brightness of titanium in their past headphones.

Interesting, I was listening to the sig pro's <- sansa Fuze on a long train journey, and found them a bit grating somewhere in the upper mid, lower treble area. Anyone else found that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back