Ultrasone PRO900
Aug 27, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #16 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why does Ultrasone continue to write the model number in such an ungodly large font across the headbands of their new products? I've seen this so many times now, and it just makes them look awful. It's so cheesy, I can't believe nobody within the company would stand up and say, "No!!! Not again!!! If you do that one more time, I'm going to take everyone in the building hostage at gunpoint!!! Stop the madness!!!"

It's the only way they can tell their models apart from other manufacturers' using the same OEM headbands
evil_smiley.gif
Now seriously, it's free advertisement when a DJ or whoever uses them in public. But it's damn fuggly IMHO.

Rgrds

Aug 27, 2008 at 11:19 AM Post #17 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously, this makes headphones looking like a cheapy DJ ones, not a audiophile ones.

They look this way because they are made for the Pro Audio market. Bright colors make them easy to find in a crowded studio of black & grey gear, while large fonts make them easy to identify for both use & proper service when needed.

Audiophiles just happen to be using them because they sound great.

Aug 27, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #20 of 924
So, if the driver is improved on the 750 driver, which I assume to be the case seeing as they seem to be using the same chassis, and the Ed9 uses the same drivers that the 750 uses, wouldn't that mean that the 900 has better drivers than the Ed9? Again, I don't see how they could have improved it much over the 750 if they were using the same drivers and chassis, in that case it would be different at best, maybe minimal improvements, and not quite as ugly.

Aug 28, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #21 of 924
I hope they will...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Than /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, if the driver is improved on the 750 driver, which I assume to be the case seeing as they seem to be using the same chassis, and the Ed9 uses the same drivers that the 750 uses, wouldn't that mean that the 900 has better drivers than the Ed9? Again, I don't see how they could have improved it much over the 750 if they were using the same drivers and chassis, in that case it would be different at best, maybe minimal improvements, and not quite as ugly.

Aug 28, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #22 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They look this way because they are made for the Pro Audio market. Bright colors make them easy to find in a crowded studio of black & grey gear, while large fonts make them easy to identify for both use & proper service when needed.

You just hit the nail in the head.

Applying the same logic of the horrible designs, I could say that I'm still waiting to see when Grado will stop that outdated, ugly and ridiculous WWII telegraphist shape in their heapdhones though...that they have kept for more than a century, and get a more updated and 21st century looking heapdhones, but no luck...
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #23 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by Than /img/forum/go_quote.gif

hmmm, i guess not...even 750 & Ed9 share the same driver, they both didn't heard the same at all, due to different size of housing/casing, earcushion pads material/shape and single ended/Split Y cable use...

so PRO900 use S-logic plus too ? i guess it's gonna more near to Ed9 but with 750 character...interesting !
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #24 of 924
Hmm, interesting!

I've been considering upgrading from my DT-770s and have been studying the Pro 750s lately. Maybe I'll wait to see what the word is on these.

If they end up being Edition 9 performance for half the price, that would make them a very tempting headphone.

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #25 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If that's the case, why don't they make the headband glow in the dark? I'm half kidding, but also half serious. Of course, it's a rhetorical question in any event and not one I'd expect Jimmy or anyone else to have a direct answer for. Eh, but if they sound good, I'm sure I'll end up with a pair one day. It has finally happened with the Edition 9's (as much as I tried to hold off).

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #26 of 924
Ultrasone's don't look bad at all. I don't really understand what all the fuss is about when high end Senns make you look like you're wearing martian earmuffs. At least the Ultrasones look like headphones.

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #27 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If these are supposed to be a higher-level than the PRO 750, and not as expensive as Edition-9, I will definitely buy a pair, because I love my PRO 750 and 2500's and HFI-780's too.
Great cans.

silverrain, Hi i just bought an ultrasone proline2500 this afternoon after comparing it to both the 750 and the hfi 2200, the 2500 to my ears sounded the smoothest especialy in the mid and high frequencies and the bass of the 3 phones seems equal to me with the 2500 still edging the other 2 marginally, how would you compare your pro750 with the pro2500 and also the hfi780? i am just curious as to your comparison between the 2?

Regards..

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #28 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by adkins845 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
silverrain, Hi i just bought an ultrasone proline2500 this afternoon after comparing it to both the 750 and the hfi 2200, the 2500 to my ears sounded the smoothest especialy in the mid and high frequencies and the bass of the 3 phones seems equal to me with the 2500 still edging the other 2 marginally, how would you compare your pro750 with the pro2500 and also the hfi780? i am just curious as to your comparison between the 2?

Regards..

Basically:

750 -- best overall -- better highs than 2500, but a smidge less than the 780, but still very good -- most natural, realistic SQ to me

2500 -- similar bass to 750, but a smidge less highs, which also lets them be a more "relaxed" listen, if you are sensitive to highs, but still a good, natural, realistic SQ

780 -- a smidge more bass (fun!) than the other two, and more highs, too -- I like it, but some peeps are sensitive to the highs -- I use these for a "change of pace" from the other two, and like them too much to sell

To *me*, they all have similar excellent mids

All 3 are "keepers"!

Is it any wonder that I am waiting to see how the new 900 comapres?

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #29 of 924
All this fuss about what headphones look like. When I have My Proline 750's on my head I dont care what they look like, and I cant see the faces of the people gawking or laughing around me, because my eyes are closed enjoying the music. Same with my K701's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back