Ultrasone PRO 650 for $99 over at MF Stupid Deal of the Day
Jun 18, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #31 of 71

Quote:
True. Ultrasones do need a good deal of burn in. Got my 650s today. I've only listened to them for a couple of minutes but so far they sound a lot like my 750s but with a better controlled bass. I'll be doing more comparisons after the 200 hour burn in mark. Loser gets sold. Let the fun begin.

Comparing a Pro650 to a Pro750? That's not fair
tongue.gif

That said, i've been listening to my Pro650 for the better part of the night. I'd have to say initially the shrieky/shrilly highs, recessed mids, and tubby but shallow bass bothered me... after a couple hours of listening I've become more accustomed to these headphones. Over the next two weeks I'll be constantly burning these things in, and probably taking notes on what i hear so far (though I don't think that will get me very far). I have noticed they do guitars in general very very very well... hopefully burn-in will fix the bass and high issues.

Jun 18, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #32 of 71
A pair "brand new" just popped on the local Craigslist for $200.  Could they have gotten them that fast or is this just some poor shmo about to get burned by "The Stupid Deal of the Day"?

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #33 of 71

Quote:
A pair "brand new" just popped on the local Craigslist for $200.  Could they have gotten them that fast or is this just some poor shmo about to get burned by "The Stupid Deal of the Day"?

sounds like turnover. A lot of people probably got theirs yesterday (mine did).

Jun 19, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #35 of 71
I completely forgot about the Pro 900 pads. They look a lot more natural with the 650 than 750 pads. I think I'll also replace the headband pad with one from a Pro 900. I don't really care for the pleather. Can I expect any difference in comfort with these changes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comparing a Pro650 to a Pro750? That's not fair
tongue.gif

Lol. Yeah, I purchased a Pro 750 from a member here about 2 days before the Pro 650 deal so I ended up with both. I couldn't pass it up for $100. I have to stop spending money. I really can't afford it.

Jun 19, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #36 of 71

Quote:
I completely forgot about the Pro 900 pads. I'll have to get a pair. They look a lot more natural with the 650 than 750 pads.  I'll be sure to give them 300 hours before I decide.

Is there any way to replace the headband pad on the 650s? I don't really care for the pleather on them.

Quote:

Lol. Yeah, I purchased a Pro 750 from a member here about 2 days before the Pro 650 deal so I ended up with both. I couldn't pass it up for $100. I have to stop spending money. I really can't afford it.

They look and feel great on the 650, and they are a little more thick then the 750 pads.

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #37 of 71
Initial reaction to the headphones wasn't so great, but then again these are the first set of closed headphones I've heard in about 5 years.  After playing some heavy bass/electronic music I'm pleasantly surprised and will be keeping them :)  I originally bought these since I thought I was going to need the better isolation of closed cans due to my new living arrangement.  Here's to enjoying them even more after some heavy burn-in.

I'm interested in getting some Pro 900 earpads for my set, where's the best place to get them?

Jun 20, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #38 of 71
Quote:
They look and feel great on the 650, and they are a little more thick then the 750 pads.

Hey Acix, did you notice any improvement in the sound quality when switching from the pleather pads to the velour Pro 900 pads or was it mainly just comfort?

Jun 21, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #40 of 71
I got a pair. Compared to my HFI-580's, they are much, much more detailed, and have the capacity for LOTS more bass.

The only amp I have is my dad's old NAD 3155. It's a solid state stereo amp, but it's a bass monster (it turns Grados into basshead cans). Tons and tons of unimaginable quantity of clear, not-one note, non-overwhelming, just incredibly present sub-bass with the bass knob turned all the way up. It made me very happy.

Much more comfortable than the HFI-580's. The pads are larger and softer.

However, I would recommend the HFI-580 over the Pro 650 to anyone looking for a rock headphone or something relaxed and fun to listen to. The Pro 650's are much more analytical than the HFI-580's (being studio phones) - think something like AKG K701's if they had excellent and present bass. The HFI-580's are more fun to listen to, have a smaller soundstage than the Pro 650, and non-electronic music is a more enjoyable listen with the HFI-580's. The mids are much more present in the Pro 650 which is the first thing I noticed coming from the HFI-580's. These are no doubt flat response headphones, except with the ability to crank out tons of bass. If you are listening with a flat EQ, the bass is not overwhelming at all and is just deep/tight/clear, not overly present. But, you can EQ the hell out of the bass and it'll just get more and more present.

I'll be keeping my Pro 650's because, since I make/record music, it will be of much more use to me to have headphones which I can trust as reference headphones, and still use for listening because it has the capability to crank out ABSURD amounts of bass if you desire (more than Dre Beat Studios - haven't tried XB700 but I don't doubt this can top the XB700 when properly amped). If I was just looking for fun, relaxed headphones to listen to music with, I might prefer the HFI-580's. But I paid $100 for each so I am happy.

Jun 21, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #41 of 71
(gripe warning...)

Musicians Friend screwed up my order and now I am not getting the damn headphones I ordered AAARRRRGGGHHHHHHH!

(i feel better now)

Jun 21, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #42 of 71
for those of you with nicer/more powerful amps - how much of an improvement do you see with a Pro 650? After about 100 hours of burn-in I'm still not quite satisfied with the sound. I'm not sure if it's because they're not adequately powered (currently running them straight out of my DAP's HP out because I don't want to needlessly run out the batteries on my cmoy) or if the closed headphone sound just isn't for me, of if it's something about the Ultrasones.

Jun 21, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #43 of 71
Allow them 200+ hours of use. I have an ultrasone with the same impedance as the pro 650, if the pro 650 sounds as anemic as the hfi-2200 unamped, I'd definitely consider at least some portable amp.

Jun 21, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #44 of 71

Quote:
I got a pair. Compared to my HFI-580's, they are much, much more detailed, and have the capacity for LOTS more bass.

The only amp I have is my dad's old NAD 3155. It's a solid state stereo amp, but it's a bass monster (it turns Grados into basshead cans). Tons and tons of unimaginable quantity of clear, not-one note, non-overwhelming, just incredibly present sub-bass with the bass knob turned all the way up. It made me very happy.

Much more comfortable than the HFI-580's. The pads are larger and softer.

However, I would recommend the HFI-580 over the Pro 650 to anyone looking for a rock headphone or something relaxed and fun to listen to. The Pro 650's are much more analytical than the HFI-580's (being studio phones) - think something like AKG K701's if they had excellent and present bass. The HFI-580's are more fun to listen to, have a smaller soundstage than the Pro 650, and non-electronic music is a more enjoyable listen with the HFI-580's. The mids are much more present in the Pro 650 which is the first thing I noticed coming from the HFI-580's. These are no doubt flat response headphones, except with the ability to crank out tons of bass. If you are listening with a flat EQ, the bass is not overwhelming at all and is just deep/tight/clear, not overly present. But, you can EQ the hell out of the bass and it'll just get more and more present.

I'll be keeping my Pro 650's because, since I make/record music, it will be of much more use to me to have headphones which I can trust as reference headphones, and still use for listening because it has the capability to crank out ABSURD amounts of bass if you desire (more than Dre Beat Studios - haven't tried XB700 but I don't doubt this can top the XB700 when properly amped). If I was just looking for fun, relaxed headphones to listen to music with, I might prefer the HFI-580's. But I paid $100 for each so I am happy.

Interesting listening notes. I thought I'd share mine too. My point of reference is the HFI-680. I started running a few frequency sweeps tonight. The HFI-680 have the most neutral response compared to the Pro 650 and Pro 750. When I plotted the FR of the Pro 650 by ear and noted peaks/valleys, my notes really closely matched Headroom's graph. The soundstage seems a little bigger and definitely has more depth with the two Pro models. 

Now that I have a few objective details noted, it's going to take a lot of subjective music listening to pick a winner. Currently I enjoy the HFI-680 the most, followed by the Pro 650, with the Pro 750 in a close third depending on my mood. I was really hoping for the Pro 650 to basically be a professional HFI-680, but it has its own unique character, so making a decision won't be easy. I'm not 100% sure at this point whether I'll keep one of the Pros and the HFI-680, or just the HFI-680.

Jun 22, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #45 of 71
Got mine yesterday.

I think something is amiss with mine. The connector into the headphones is very loose, easy to wiggle and lose the L channel. And the midrange is almost non-existent. Not recessed, but non-existent. At normal volumes, I can barely make out the vocals.

Sent an e-mail to Ultrasone, I can't imagine these things are working right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back