Ultrasone Pro 2900 Thread
Dec 29, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #211 of 421

Quote:
From what I understand, the 2500 is supposed to be a warmer ultrasone than the rest of their lineup.

Are you sure you don't confuse with the HFi-2200/HFi-2400?. HFi-2400 is effectively on the warm side, like all HFi headphones.

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #212 of 421

Quote:
Can you make sure to post what differences you notice between the Pro2500's ( I have em ) and the new 2900's ( on the stock cables ), as I assume you'll have them both in your lucky hands at the same time to do an A/B.
Thanks in advance 
popcorn.gif

Quote:

I have the 2900s but I was really close to getting the 2500s so I'd like to read that comparison too... From what I understand, the 2500 is supposed to be a warmer ultrasone than the rest of their lineup. 2900s are more on the neutral side compared to the pro 900 which is the only other ultrasone I have owned. 

nick n/Ahrari:

Will do the best I can, since I, too, am interested in discerning the differences.

The UPS man delivered the PRO 2900 moments ago, and I just gave them a quick listen: stock headphone cord, my old, RAM-modded Samsung DVD-HD841, Virtue Audio Nirvana interconnects, Linn Intek integrated, ieGO power cord, tweaked with DakiOm, ebony footers and damping blocks, Marigo Signature CD Mat.  Music: Cal Tjader: "Roots of Acid Jazz"/Verve.

The Linn, with its rather "grey" and homogeneous signature, is certainly no paragon of exlposive dynamics or bass ummph to begin with.  The bass sounds diffuse and reticent (at zero hour).  The presentation has an overall "liquidy"/refined character in the mids, though (ala the Intek) and sounds--I am relying on memory now in the absence of the PRO 2500 (it's at my other residence, remember)--perhaps more coherent than the PRO 2500.  But still "green", lacking bloom.  

That said, what I have heard already sounds promising and I do like it.  : )  Tjader's vibe slaps on "Manteca" sound well-rounded and "complete", with nice texture and lively tone.  

. . . to be continued . . . 

An hour or two later.  "Tokyo Blues" comes through with both excellent resolution and spatial ordering of the soundstage.  The drum rhythms--struck with sticks or hands--carry with precision and fine articulation.  Can't wait to hear these with the EVS-modded SONY S780! 

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #213 of 421
ohhh Cal Tjader. Excellent choice. I'll look that particular one up. It's obviously going to take a while to break them in. Be interesting to see how they change. I don't mind waiting the 100 + hours for you to check back in.
L3000.gif

Thanks for the brief description so far.

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #215 of 421
does anyone know of a trick to uncoil or make the coils looser on the 1/4inch adaptor cord for the 2900s... I hate thee coiled cords, it makes them seem so much shorter than they actually are.

Jan 4, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #217 of 421

Quote:
does anyone know of a trick to uncoil or make the coils looser on the 1/4inch adaptor cord for the 2900s... I hate thee coiled cords, it makes them seem so much shorter than they actually are.

If you have a soldering iron, it's easy to rebuild a cable. You keep the two plugs and you put a straight cable between,lol. Yes i know, its easier said than done :)

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #218 of 421
Meh. I thought about suggesting that, but the results (at least when I do it) aren't particularly satisfactory. It's easier to just start from scratch. Of course that only works if you can source new plugs that are identical to the originals (which usually isn't the case)...

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #219 of 421

Quote:
Of course that only works if you can source new plugs that are identical to the originals (which usually isn't the case)...

You can also put better for cheaper. The Neutrik 6.3 plug cost 3 euros, cable maybe 3 meters x 2 (1) euros max = 6 (3) euros + a 3.5 plug cost 1 euros, total = (7) or 10 euros.

The pro2900 coiled cable is sold separately more than 80$ imo, not a big deal,lol.

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #220 of 421

Quote:

nick n/Ahrari:

Will do the best I can, since I, too, am interested in discerning the differences.

The UPS man delivered the PRO 2900 moments ago, and I just gave them a quick listen: stock headphone cord, my old, RAM-modded Samsung DVD-HD841, Virtue Audio Nirvana interconnects, Linn Intek integrated, ieGO power cord, tweaked with DakiOm, ebony footers and damping blocks, Marigo Signature CD Mat.  Music: Cal Tjader: "Roots of Acid Jazz"/Verve.

The Linn, with its rather "grey" and homogeneous signature, is certainly no paragon of exlposive dynamics or bass ummph to begin with.  The bass sounds diffuse and reticent (at zero hour).  The presentation has an overall "liquidy"/refined character in the mids, though (ala the Intek) and sounds--I am relying on memory now in the absence of the PRO 2500 (it's at my other residence, remember)--perhaps more coherent than the PRO 2500.  But still "green", lacking bloom.  

That said, what I have heard already sounds promising and I do like it.  : )  Tjader's vibe slaps on "Manteca" sound well-rounded and "complete", with nice texture and lively tone.  

. . . to be continued . . . 

An hour or two later.  "Tokyo Blues" comes through with both excellent resolution and spatial ordering of the soundstage.  The drum rhythms--struck with sticks or hands--carry with precision and fine articulation.  Can't wait to hear these with the EVS-modded SONY S780! 

congrats! mine say hello!

i'm too come from the pro 2500 and have been happy with the pro2900.. i cant really compare them both because they're already not in a stock configuration, but i think the pro 2900 gives the refinement that makes it a better headphone... i hope you can write a comprehensive review of them.. :)

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #221 of 421
santsant,
Why, thank you!  That's mighty kind.
I began a review on a separate thread.  Right now, the 2900 sound distinct enough from the 2500 and I am enjoying each in its own right.

PAB 

Quote:
congrats! mine say hello!

i'm too come from the pro 2500 and have been happy with the pro2900.. i cant really compare them both because they're already not in a stock configuration, but i think the pro 2900 gives the refinement that makes it a better headphone... i hope you can write a comprehensive review of them.. :)

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #222 of 421

Quote:

Funny, I kinda like the coiled cord.  : )  It gets out of the way at close proximity to the source gear, and I don't have to worry about rolling my chair over the cable.  : )

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #223 of 421
So I was trying to watch a movie with my ultrasones through my peachtree audio (audio coming through optical from my ps3) and the 2900s sounded awful! the sound was extremely metallic. Then I put my D7000s in and WOW movie came to life. I was really weirded out by this because the Ultrasones do music and movies fine when its coming from my computer via usb to my dac/amp but through optical they sound really bad. Kinda bummed cause I wanted to use the ultrasones for movies more (since they are open and have the "S-Logic surround").

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #224 of 421
Metallic is actually a pretty apt description of the PRO 2900's sound to me. They never sounded particularly natural, though I know people in this thread will likely disagree. Just my opinion.

The HFI series in general is marketed by Ultrasone as being more for movies and multi media. They tend to be more forgiving than the PRO / Proline series.

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #225 of 421
I don't find them sounding metallic. Maybe not the best word for this description.

Well, maybe its just an amp question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back