Ultrasone Pro 2900 Thread
Mar 20, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #241 of 421
These are very interesting to me, just a couple of questions though:

How much sounds do they leak? Don't want to interrupt anybody too much.

How would these compare to the LCD2? (Ahzari help me out here)

Mar 20, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #242 of 421

Quote:
These are very interesting to me, just a couple of questions though:

How much sounds do they leak? Don't want to interrupt anybody too much.

How would these compare to the LCD2? (Ahzari help me out here)

Hey, they sound leak quite a bit, as any open headphone would, so if you are in a place where you don't want to disturb other people, I wouldn't go with these. Also the 2900s with the LCD2s are very different headphones, and I think the LCDs are better all around. Specifically the 2900s have more of a treble presence (tend to be sibilant) while the LCDs are much warmer (they also tend to have better detail and soundstage). But note these are both open headphones and will leak quite a bit of noise. If you are looking for a closed headphone and are willing to spend as much as the LCD2, definitely check out the Ultrasone Signature Pro, it doesn't  leak out much sound as its a closed headphone and its excellent sounding (personally i prefer it to the LCD2 and its much better than the 2900).

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #243 of 421

Quote:
Any other recommendations? Preferably with easy availability in Europe.

Try any of the Neco Soundlab amps. Do a search on eBay. He has three or four amps:

1. A 9V portable in a (relatively) small enclosure (this is the "V2" version)
2. An 18V portable in a (relatively) small enclosure (this is the "V3" version)
3. An 18V "portable" in a larger enclosure (the size of the enclosure for the Objective O2 amp)
4. A mosfet desktop amp

I have #3 on the list above. It is pretty big for a portable, if you're thinking about something you carry around with you while walking, but works well if you just throw it in your bag when traveling. It also works well as a desktop amp. I like the larger enclosure because it can take a 1/4" jack instead of the 1/8" jack. Neco is very helpful and he was able to install RCA inputs on the back for me, which I much prefer over the cluttered approach of having a line-in jack on the front. Build quality is absolutely exquisite, with sound to match. I have a Burson HA-160D and in A-B comparisons, the only place where I have seen a noticeable difference was with my HiFiMAN HE-400s, where the Burson improved the soundstage a bit. Otherwise the Neco amps goes toe-to-toe with the much bigger Burson. The Neco amp is a great match to the Ultrasone Pro 2900s, I listened to that combo all weekend. Does well with my LCD-2s, as well. I have a mosfet amp on order with Neco as well.

One thing to note: Neco never has all of his amps available at the same time. He usually just has a couple of the V2 or V3 amps available. If you send him a PM through eBay, he will give you all the info and pricing. You can also see the amps by looking at his eBay feedback and clicking on the links to the item descriptions from people who have previously bought from him.

I consider my 18V dual-mono amp from Neco to be one of the biggest bands for the buck out of all of my headphone equipment. Absolutely amazing value.

Best regards,
Adam

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #244 of 421
I agree with the above post.  I have Audeze LCD-2 headphones, a Rega Planet 2000 CD player powered by a Neco Soundlab V2.1 dual mono headphone amp.  The combination is wonderful - the bass depth and clarity from the Planet showing off the capabilities of the LCD's is something to behold.  No lesser part of this chain is my little Neco amp.  It is quite astounding how such a high quality sound can be generated at such a modest price.  Neco's amp is batting way above it's league.  Highly recommended.

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #247 of 421
"Neco Soundlab" (or "neco_soundlab" -- can't remember which) is the name of the seller. His MOSFET amp (which is on its way to me) is listed here (I think...I'm at work and can't check the link myself). From there you can see what else he has. Note: these are hand-made amps and he puts them up for sale in batches, so it is possible that the current run is sold out. If so, send him a message through eBay with what you want, and he will make one for you. If you just want to see the pictures and specs, then check his feedback ratings and you should be able to click on his closed listings.

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #248 of 421
Has anyone tried these headphones with the HUD-MX1 yet?

Apr 21, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #250 of 421

Quote:
Hey guys,

Is the Pro 2900s massive on the mid-bass just like the Pro 900s?

Hoping that since its a open can it'll have more extension down the bottom..

I don't own the Pro 900s so I can't do a direct comparison.  That said I don't get the impression that the 2900 has a large mid-bass hump.  Out of what I've owned I would easily vote these best overall bass bar none.  

Apr 21, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #251 of 421
I like the PRO 2900 much better. Especially S-Logic works better with open headphones. Soon I will test it against Signature Pro.

Apr 21, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #252 of 421

Quote:
I like the PRO 2900 much better. Especially S-Logic works better with open headphones. Soon I will test it against Signature Pro.

+1 on that. I do feel the 2900s had a better soundstage than the Signature Pros, which feel pretty closed in (don't sense the S-Logic is doing much for soundstage, but there is excellent detail retrieval and instrument  separation).

May 2, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #253 of 421
Quote:
Ok so weird experience...

I accidentally put my 2900s on reversed. So Right cup on my left ear and Left cup on my right ear... I was suddenly amazed by the huge soundstage and complete absence of sibilance!

I was like what happened to these overnight?? So then I took them off and realized my error, put them back on the right way and Bam...! soundstage decreased and sibilance was back. Anyone else noticed this, maybe my ears are set up weird. I wonder if there is any problem with wearing these reversed haha.

I am doing weird routinely whenever I listening to 2900s. I find the soundstage increased and be in front when I wear 2900 in a position that headband pointing forward.

Please refer to the pictures in http://www.andaudio.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=101628

all the best to 2900 fans.

jy

May 3, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #254 of 421
Subscribed.

Possibility of trying out the Pro 2900s to see how they compare to my HE-4...hmm...

May 3, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #255 of 421
I had the longest debate between this and HE-400 and eventually got the HE-400s, but I'll always be wistfully wondering whether the Pro 2900s might have had the more satisfying bass. And musing over the fact that the Pros would've been more presentable/portable than my HE-400s. The grass is always greener on the other side 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back