Ultrasone Pro 2900 Thread
Dec 12, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #181 of 421

Quote:
I'd go with the 2900s.. if you're looking for a good deal on them call these guys.. they're authorized dealers for ultrasone (RMC Audio 1-877-222-7457) they have a website too, but they won't show their price gotta call them. I think they sell in the mid 300s.. unless you can get the DTs for under 200.. I'd go with the 2900s. Another thing to keep in mind.. this was important for me at least. for the price you are getting an extra set of ear pads, a carry case, and 2 audio cables (one long with 1/4' and one shorter with 3.5mm) the DTs don't give you anything extra and I like the audio quality on the 2900s better too... win/win.

Thanks for the input on the WA6 btw.

Wow, thanks for the suggestion. Sent them an e-mail. Might call them in the morning as well. You're doing a pretty good job of selling me on the 2900s. Just hoping someone else can give me their opinion on a direct comparison between the two sound wise. If I opt for the 2900s I want to make sure they are going to have a nice bass boost compared to my Q701s. I love the Q701s and want a more "fun" sounding companion for EDM and whatever else they happen to sound great with.

No problem. I also had the Sophia tube and the pseudo dual power supply upgrade. Great amp and great service from Woo Audio.

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #182 of 421

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the suggestion. Sent them an e-mail. Might call them in the morning as well. You're doing a pretty good job of selling me on the 2900s. Just hoping someone else can give me their opinion on a direct comparison between the two sound wise. If I opt for the 2900s I want to make sure they are going to have a nice bass boost compared to my Q701s. I love the Q701s and want a more "fun" sounding companion for EDM and whatever else they happen to sound great with.

No problem. I also had the Sophia tube and the pseudo dual power supply upgrade. Great amp and great service from Woo Audio.

I've heard both the Pro 2900 and own the DT990-600 ~ the difference lies in the amount of sub bass versus mid
 bass impact, the DT990 digs up more sub bass while the Pro 2900 offers up more mid bass impact to my ears.

For electronic music, I'd give the nod to the Pro 2900 but overall the DT990 is the more sophisticated can, it
 is fun and not at all serious like the DT880 which tends to be quite neutral sounding, the DT990 is also more
 detailed and while the mids are a little distant sounding, they're not recessed, certainly not as recessed
 as the Pro 900 ~ the Pro 2900 does better but I find that given bassy material, the bass can bleed into
 the mids ~ this does not happen with the DT990 ~ again, another sign that it's the more sophisticated can.

Sound stage width is fairly equal to both cans, they're not the most airy open cans (semi open on
 the DT990)

But depends on your taste ~ if you want a strictly EDM alternative then the Pro 2900 is for you 
smile.gif

If you have a Woo Audio 6 though, then it's a tough choice since for most Head-Fiers - the DT990-600
 gets ruled out by the reality that their amp is simply not up for it - you can literally pick and choose.

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #183 of 421

Quote:
 I've heard both the Pro 2900 and own the DT990-600 ~ the difference lies in the amount of sub bass versus mid
 bass impact, the DT990 digs up more sub bass while the Pro 2900 offers up more mid bass impact to my ears.

For electronic music, I'd give the nod to the Pro 2900 but overall the DT990 is the more sophisticated can, it
 is fun and not at all serious like the DT880 which tends to be quite neutral sounding, the DT990 is also more
 detailed and while the mids are a little distant sounding, they're not recessed, certainly not as recessed
 as the Pro 900 ~ the Pro 2900 does better but I find that given bassy material, the bass can bleed into
 the mids ~ this does not happen with the DT990 ~ again, another sign that it's the more sophisticated can.

Sound stage width is fairly equal to both cans, they're not the most airy open cans (semi open on
 the DT990)

But depends on your taste ~ if you want a strictly EDM alternative then the Pro 2900 is for you 
smile.gif

If you have a Woo Audio 6 though, then it's a tough choice since for most Head-Fiers - the DT990-600
 gets ruled out by the reality that their amp is simply not up for it - you can literally pick and choose.

Thanks for the write up, but you are further complicating my decision. Haha. 
mad.gif

I wouldn't say these will be strictly for EDM, but the intent is to get some open cans that bring noticeably more bass to the table than my Q701s. I would definitely like the headphones I buy to be a good contrast to the Q701.

This would be for use with the most recent M-Stage model with a built in USB DAC and OPA627AP opamp upgrade. Sufficient enough for the DT990 600? Thanks again.

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #184 of 421

Quote:
Thanks for the write up, but you are further complicating my decision. Haha. 
mad.gif

I wouldn't say these will be strictly for EDM, but the intent is to get some open cans that bring noticeably more bass to the table than my Q701s. I would definitely like the headphones I buy to be a good contrast to the Q701.

This would be for use with the most recent M-Stage model with a built in USB DAC and OPA627AP opamp upgrade. Sufficient enough for the DT990 600? Thanks again.

Unfortunately I can't offer any guarantees on that because I have not heard the M-stage with the Dt990 but on paper

1. Output Power: 200 mW / 300 O, 400 mW / 60 O
  2. Input Impedance: 47 kO
  3. Output Impedance: Line out 60 O, headphone out 5 O
  4. Frequency Response: 10 Hz (-0.3dB) - 35 KHz (-1 dB)
  5. Signal / Noise Ratio: >95 dB @ 0 dB
  6. Distortion: <0.001 % (6 mW / 300 O)
  7. Power: AC 220-240V 50/60Hz
  8. Power Consumption: <15W
  9. Weight: 1.5KG
  10. Dimensions: 28 x 11 x 4.2 (L x W x H cm)
  11. Accessories: Power Cable (GB/EU optional), User’s manual

You'd assume there's at least 90mW at 600ohms (hopefully) - the headphone output impedance on
the Matrix M-Stage though is only 5ohm which is not positive ~ the DT990 sounded like a real mess out of the
SPL Phonitor and Sugden Masterclass (both $2000+ amps over here with under 10 ohm output impedance with either)

My recommendation with the DT990-600 is ~ if you cannot hear it with your amp of choice then it's
a really big gamble. 

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #185 of 421
For the sound signature you're looking for the Denon D5000s might be right up your alley too? I mean, if you're ok with a closed phone.. I'd recommend the D7000 but I don't know if you'd want to spend that much :).. but even with my D7000s, I really like the 2900s, they compliment each other as the ultrasone is a faster and more open phone. I also listen to mostly electronic music on these cans and really like them for that.

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #186 of 421
It's been a while since I've listened to the dt990 250ohm, so I don't really want to go into detail, but I know for sure that the pro2900 was also more to my liking and felt generally more refined. I distinctly remember the imaging and detailing to be superior on the pro2900, but like I said, it's been a while... so take my opinion with a grain of salt.  

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #187 of 421
Wow!!! After 60 hours these things really opened up! Worth the wait! Really enjoying the enhanced soundstage!

Music used during burn in
using a wide range of styles:

The Hunger - Devil Thumbs a Ride
Soul II Soul - Keep On Movin'
George Michael - Faith
Kraftwerk - The Mix
Pat Metheny - Question & Answer
Queensryche - Rage for Order
Paul Oakenfold - Swordfish
Luscious Jackson - Fever in Fever Out
Azam Ali - From Night to the Edge of Day

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #188 of 421
congrats... I think you'll notice they'll get better up to 100 hours.

Dec 17, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #189 of 421
Soundearphones on ebay are selling an open box PRO 2900 for $350. Anyone on the fence, nows your chance.

And I got the Burson, first impressions are not so good, while 'better' sounding than my Essence I prefer the Essence's sound sig more. I hope the Burson will go through as much change as the Ultrasones for burn in.

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #190 of 421

Quote:
Soundearphones on ebay are selling an open box PRO 2900 for $350. Anyone on the fence, nows your chance.
And I got the Burson, first impressions are not so good, while 'better' sounding than my Essence I prefer the Essence's sound sig more. I hope the Burson will go through as much change as the Ultrasones for burn in.

You can find new units for a little more than that price at RMC Audio Direct and they are authorized by Ultrasone. Why buy used when you can spend a few bucks more and have the reassurance. 

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #192 of 421

Quote:
I've been enjoying the new Ultrasone Signature Pro a lot so far. I think it's the best thing Ultrasone has made since the Edition 9, frankly. It's definitely less bassy than the Pro 2900 though. That was unexpected.

I'm liking the sound too, but I still feel its a bit sibilant.. I can't listen to music for over an hour without discomfort. I got a Woo Audio WA6 with some upgrades to warm the amp up even further, hopefully that will tame the 2900s for me.

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #193 of 421

Quote:
I'm liking the sound too, but I still feel its a bit sibilant.. I can't listen to music for over an hour without discomfort. I got a Woo Audio WA6 with some upgrades to warm the amp up even further, hopefully that will tame the 2900s for me.

Just to clarify, you think the PRO 2900 is a bit sibilant? I'd definitely agree there.

The new Signature Pro isn't sibilant at all to my ears.

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #194 of 421

Quote:
Just to clarify, you think the PRO 2900 is a bit sibilant? I'd definitely agree there.

The new Signature Pro isn't sibilant at all to my ears.

Yess the 2900s, I wasn't very clear... so the Signatures aren't sibilant? and as far as the reduction in bass, it seems like it may be a more neutral can then right? last one, hows the build quality compared to the Editions and other Pro series? I definitely like the look :))

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #195 of 421
I also noticed you have the LCD3s.. I've been reading about how that model is right at the top in every respect.. How would you compare them to the Signature series?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back