Ultrasone Pro 2900 Thread
Dec 17, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #196 of 421

Quote:
Yess the 2900s, I wasn't very clear... so the Signatures aren't sibilant? and as far as the reduction in bass, it seems like it may be a more neutral can then right? last one, hows the build quality compared to the Editions and other Pro series? I definitely like the look :))

Like you, I find the PRO 2900s to be slightly sibilant. The Edition 8 can be a little sibilant to me as well on certain recordings, but it's less noticeable. The Signature Pro in comparison is definitely not sibilant to me. I'm finding the Signature Pros to be pretty neutral, but still bassy enough to sound fun. I think in terms of sound they're in between the Edition 9 and Edition 8. Build quality is really good overall. They feel sturdy and solid, with the earcups being made from the same material as the PRO 2900, but with a more oval shape instead of the round PRO series shape. My only minor gripe is that the headband has a rubber spine on top, and it causes the leather to bulge and look bumpy in some places. It's a cosmetic thing though.

Overall I'm very pleased with the Signature Pro. If you want more impressions, you should check out the Signature Pro thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/570388/ultrasone-new-announced-headphone-signature-pro/165#post_7978382
I'll be posting my thoughts there in more detail.

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #197 of 421

Quote:
I also noticed you have the LCD3s.. I've been reading about how that model is right at the top in every respect.. How would you compare them to the Signature series?

I'm loving both of them right now. I think they're really two different animals though. The LCD-3 is going to be really nice if you want a very-close-to-neutral sound for use in a high-end system at home. The Signature Pros are more rugged and great for portable use (comes with both a 1/8 and 1/4 plug) and have a more "fun" sound imo. The Signature Pros will sound good even out of a notebook without an amp or DAC.

Just comparing their sound, the LCD-3 seems a bit more distant and laid back, whereas the Signature Pro is more forward and aggressive. Overall the sound of the LCD-3 is more detailed and involving, whereas the Signature Pro is more active and energetic.

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #198 of 421

Quote:
I'm loving both of them right now. I think they're really two different animals though. The LCD-3 is going to be really nice if you want a very-close-to-neutral sound for use in a high-end system at home. The Signature Pros are more rugged and great for portable use (comes with both a 1/8 and 1/4 plug) and have a more "fun" sound imo. The Signature Pros will sound good even out of a notebook without an amp or DAC.

Just comparing their sound, the LCD-3 seems a bit more distant and laid back, whereas the Signature Pro is more forward and aggressive. Overall the sound of the LCD-3 is more detailed and involving, whereas the Signature Pro is more active and energetic.

Thanks for the comparison, i'll definitely check out your review on the Signature Pros.. Maybe I'll consider them instead of the LCD3s.. are they power hungry? you noted they're good for portable use so I'm assuming they can be driven pretty easy.

Dec 18, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #199 of 421

Quote:
Thanks for the comparison, i'll definitely check out your review on the Signature Pros.. Maybe I'll consider them instead of the LCD3s.. are they power hungry? you noted they're good for portable use so I'm assuming they can be driven pretty easy.

Yeah, the Signature Pros are definitely easy to drive. They sound good without amping / DAC. But then, I think most Ultrasones sound fine without an amp / DAC.

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #200 of 421
I was very lucky. these are bloody fantastic headphones. They are burning in well. and with my Matrix M-Stage it is absolutely a lot better than what I heard from my STX's amp. not sure about technicality, but these are a lot better than what I originally purchased. I ordered from the Official Distributor of ultrasone in Australia. I ntended on purchasing the DT 770s but they sent me the wrong one type of Beyers. I rang them up, and he said ok, would you like a deal on the Pro 2900s. I said yes yes! He said fine, he would do them for $300 AUD, around $300 USD. I say now wth, thats a steal. So now I thankfully have the 2900s that I could afford. So try to deal with the Ultrasone dealers. you may get a fantastic deal! :).

Dec 20, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #201 of 421
wow thats a great deal on the 2900s! congrats, they are a fun phone.

Dec 20, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #202 of 421
I'm stuck... I can't decide between Pro 2900 and Pro 900 and I have no chance of trying them out. Help me out! 
biggrin.gif

I need more opinions on which one would work best for metal and fast music? But I also like the bass to be very fast and punchy which I know the Pro 900 are. If anyone has tried both with this kind of music it would help me a lot with my decision!

Dec 20, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #204 of 421
2900s all the way, had the pro900 and didn't like the sound at all, too metallic shrill.. the 2900s are just as speedy, have a better soundstage, and overall much better sound (bass too)..

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #206 of 421
I'm a traitor,
As much as I love my sones, they don't love me back. The problem is that most of my library is poorly mastered CDs that have been affected by the loudness war. I've put them up for sale, if anyone has something comparable but with smoother highs I would be happy to trade.
I'm looking for something fast and aggressive like the Sones, like an HE4
Sorry guys, don't kill me :xf_eek:

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #207 of 421
Don't worry, you ll make one happy,lol.

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #208 of 421
When I owned the T1, together with the PRO 2500--not the 2900, I ended up preferring the DT880/600 and the Ultrasones.  That caused flack with most T1 adorers at the time (most of whom have since jumped flagship to the Audeze LCD-2), but I have never looked back and still enjoy the PRO 2500.  (The DT880/600 were sold along the way, too.)  

My point of departure with the T1 was their upper midrange emphasis, which made them sound ultimately thin and tipped up.  Bass was not nearly as authoritative with the Beyers as with the Ultrasones, nor--to my ears--did the T1 worthily rival the PRO 2500's soundstage.  

The Ultrasones do have a unique "natural" quality that I think derives primarily from their solid bass support and dimensional qualities.  Mids are clean, detailed and expressive.  And while not the "last word" in treble extension, the PRO 2500 has HF in adequate supply, with very good reproduction of transients. All tolled, the Ultrasones deliver a musical realism from the evenly-strewn synergy of their constituent parts that has captured--and continues to capture--my ear.

Well, I am excited to report that the PRO 2900 are due to arrive tomorrow(!).  Needless to say, I can't wait to to try them, especially with the ZXAC cable (swapped from the PRO 2500).  Initially, I will be auditioning them with the stock cable and either through the headphone output of a Linn Intek integrated or the Denon AVR-1905.  Shortly thereafter I hope to go to my second residence--it's a long story--and use the "Nucleotide" cable, together with a better source and some dedicated headphone amps (the modest all-tube PHENIX G3 T7, the all SS KMF and my hybrid "reference", Fitz-maxed Bada PH-12).   

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #209 of 421
Can you make sure to post what differences you notice between the Pro2500's ( I have em ) and the new 2900's ( on the stock cables ), as I assume you'll have them both in your lucky hands at the same time to do an A/B.
Thanks in advance 
popcorn.gif

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #210 of 421

Quote:
Can you make sure to post what differences you notice between the Pro2500's ( I have em ) and the new 2900's ( on the stock cables ), as I assume you'll have them both in your lucky hands at the same time to do an A/B.
Thanks in advance 
popcorn.gif

I have the 2900s but I was really close to getting the 2500s so I'd like to read that compassion too... From what I understand, the 2500 is supposed to be a warmer ultrasone than the rest of their lineup. 2900s are more on the neutral side compared to the pro 900 which is the only other ultrasone I have owned. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back