Ultrasone Pro 2900 Thread
Dec 4, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #166 of 421

Quote:
I wanted to at least get a hybrid, I've given up hope with SS amps.. even the SS in my peachtree doesn't sound amazing, hence my desire to upgrade.

Some people prefer tubes, some prefer solid state. No harm in trying out different things like a hybrid, but I wouldn't say solid state is inferior to hybrid or tube amps in and of itself. An amp needs to be judged as a whole. Some solid state amps can be warmer than some tube amps, for example. The same thing with balanced vs. non-balanced. The overall context of one's system is more important than having a particular technology over another.

The reason I suggested the Asgard over the Lyr is that the Lyr is overkill for the PRO 2900 in my opinion. A lot of it will be going to waste. You'll likely see more improvement upgrading your source first.

Dec 4, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #167 of 421

Quote:
It comes down to preference, I suppose. Personally I find the Concerto pairs pretty well with the PRO 2900. It's a very clear and detailed amp, but I've always found it to have a very small touch of sweetness. The high impedance setting removes a bit of the sibilance for me, though you'll get more room to adjust on the low setting. On the other hand, pairing the PRO 2900 with syrupy tube amps produces awful results to my ears. I think the biggest issue with the Concerto will be the top end, which might prove a bit too lively with a poorly matched source.

Edit: I should also add that I personally don't think most Ultrasones even need an expensive amp necessarily. If you have a good source, they'll sound fine.

guess will have to try them out first before i decide on an amp

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #168 of 421

Quote:

Some people prefer tubes, some prefer solid state. No harm in trying out different things like a hybrid, but I wouldn't say solid state is inferior to hybrid or tube amps in and of itself. An amp needs to be judged as a whole. Some solid state amps can be warmer than some tube amps, for example. The same thing with balanced vs. non-balanced. The overall context of one's system is more important than having a particular technology over another.

The reason I suggested the Asgard over the Lyr is that the Lyr is overkill for the PRO 2900 in my opinion. A lot of it will be going to waste. You'll likely see more improvement upgrading your source first.

well I'm listening to FLAC and Apple Lossless, the very least 320kbps.. and the Sabre DAC in my peachtree decco2 is one of the best in the business for anything under 1k. My sources are good, I just want the source coupled to an amp that has its own sound signature (preferably a warm non-analytical one). I personally haven't heard any warm SS amps, not to say I don't believe they aren't out there.

As far as overkill, I don't think its ever a bad idea to have a amplifier that can do justice to other headphones, while I mentioned I was looking for a good match for the 2900s, I would be pairing these with my Denon D7000 (which also don't need much juice, but benefit from amplification) and my future purchase LCD2 / HD650 / HifiMan (havent decided yet, but all of those need pretty stron amps to get them to their potential). Thanks for the input though, I guess its a personal taste thing.. 

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #169 of 421
I have had my 2900's for six days and have put about 25 hours on them. The first few hours I noticed very punchy bass and not much mid range. The bass and mid range do sound better now with a few hours of burn in time but the sound stage is still a bit shallow. I was expecting a better sound stage than my Pro 750's. The 2900's over all don't sound much different when compared side by side with the 750's.

Should I expect any changes in their sound signature with more burn in time?

thanks

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #170 of 421
I have had my 2900's for six days and have put about 25 hours on them. The first few hours I noticed very punchy bass and not much mid range. The bass and mid range do sound better now with a few hours of burn in time but the sound stage is still a bit shallow. I was expecting a better sound stage than my Pro 750's. The 2900's over all don't sound much different when compared side by side with the 750's.

thanks

Oh yeah, my pair had a major increase in bass, and then it completely disappeared for a bit, then came back and it settled out. I also noticed throughout burn in they are very silibant, but that smooths out somewhat, they are always going to be on the bright side.
What are you using to drive them? A good amp/dac should bring a noticeable improvement to the sound.

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #171 of 421

Quote:

thanks

I didn't notice any disappearance of bass like I did with the Pro 900s (when I had them).. With that said you will definitely notice improvement until about 100 hours, after that I didn't notice anything (I'd say I am close to 300 now...). The soundstage opens up and the phone becomes pretty neutral (but good bass emphasis.. I actually like the bass much better than any of the phones I have heard, except maybe my D7000s).

Dec 11, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #174 of 421
Considering these headphones. Does anyone have a comparison with the DT990? I'm considering one of those two. Which sounds better to you? Which has better bass? Thanks.

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #175 of 421

Quote:
Considering these headphones. Does anyone have a comparison with the DT990? I'm considering one of those two. Which sounds better to you? Which has better bass? Thanks.

I owned the DT990, I like the overall sound, bass, and comfort of the 2900s better.

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #176 of 421

Quote:
I owned the DT990, I like the overall sound, bass, and comfort of the 2900s better.

Would you say the quantity and quality of bass in the 2900 is better? Thanks again for your input. :) Just looking for a bass heavy open can to compliment my Q701s.

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #177 of 421

Quote:
Would you say the quantity and quality of bass in the 2900 is better? Thanks again for your input. :) Just looking for a bass heavy open can to compliment my Q701s.

From what I remember I liked the bass from the DT990, but I also really like the bass on the 2900s (even more then the Pro900 which is considered a "bass monster"). That said, the last time I heard the DTs was over a year ago. Both headphones are great, but the reason I kept the 2900s and not the DTs was because the SQ was just better on the Ultrasones (to my ears). Also, I had the 32 ohm version of the Beyers, don't know if the 250 an 600 versions sound drastically different.

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #178 of 421
ZenErik I noticed you got rid of your WA6, why is that? I just ordered mine with the sophia princess... hope I didn't make a mistake haha.

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #179 of 421

Quote:
ZenErik I noticed you got rid of your WA6, why is that? I just ordered mine with the sophia princess... hope I didn't make a mistake haha.

You made a great decision. I only got rid of it because I sold all my audio gear about 1 1/2 years ago. Just getting back into it now. I very much regret selling that beauty. 
frown.gif

Quote:
From what I remember I liked the bass from the DT990, but I also really like the bass on the 2900s (even more then the Pro900 which is considered a "bass monster"). That said, the last time I heard the DTs was over a year ago. Both headphones are great, but the reason I kept the 2900s and not the DTs was because the SQ was just better on the Ultrasones (to my ears). Also, I had the 32 ohm version of the Beyers, don't know if the 250 an 600 versions sound drastically different.

What did you find better, if you don't mind me asking? I am leaning towards the 2900s, but I can get the DT990 for about $150 cheaper. Not opposed to saving money. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #180 of 421
I'd go with the 2900s.. if you're looking for a good deal on them call these guys.. they're authorized dealers for ultrasone (RMC Audio 1-877-222-7457) they have a website too, but they won't show their price gotta call them. I think they sell in the mid 300s.. unless you can get the DTs for under 200.. I'd go with the 2900s. Another thing to keep in mind.. this was important for me at least. for the price you are getting an extra set of ear pads, a carry case, and 2 audio cables (one long with 1/4' and one shorter with 3.5mm) the DTs don't give you anything extra and I like the audio quality on the 2900s better too... win/win.

Thanks for the input on the WA6 btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back