ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Aug 31, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #1,306 of 2,431
Quote:
Having had both I can say soundstage and imaging is the most notable difference (huge benefit to the TH900s).. Also I felt the SP were pretty sterile, very neutral, the TH900s on the other hand have a more musical warmth that I personally like while at the same time having resolution that is at the very least in the league of the SP.

Those are PRECISELY the attributes of the SP that I wish I could improve upon (soundstage/imaging/musicality). Sounds like I will be a happy man when they come in next week. 

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #1,307 of 2,431
Quote:

Those are PRECISELY the attributes of the SP that I wish I could improve upon (soundstage/imaging/musicality). Sounds like I will be a happy man when they come in next week. 

beerchug.gif

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #1,309 of 2,431
Oct 1, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #1,313 of 2,431
Do you guys recommend getting a desktop amp for home use with the sig pro since people say they sound a lot better with a desktop amp? Preferably one which tones the treble down a bit, perhaps an asgard since its a warm ss amp?

edit: Just something I wanted to ask: Would the sig pro and grado rsi be a good combination?

Grado RS1i = home use

Signature Pro = Portable use

I listen only to rock and metal and I'm guessing I will prefer the grado when listening at home since it's open and has the whole aggressive grado house sound. I was just curious, is the grado a better headphone to use at home since it's open and awesome for the genres I listen to or is the signature pro a better headphone? If the SigPro is better, it wouldn't make sense to buy the grado since I would never use it.

Oct 1, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #1,314 of 2,431
Quote:
Do you guys recommend getting a desktop amp for home use with the sig pro since people say they sound a lot better with a desktop amp? Preferably one which tones the treble down a bit, perhaps an asgard since its a warm ss amp?

edit: Just something I wanted to ask: Would the sig pro and grado rsi be a good combination?

Grado RS1i = home use

Signature Pro = Portable use

I listen only to rock and metal and I'm guessing I will prefer the grado when listening at home since it's open and has the whole aggressive grado house sound. I was just curious, is the grado a better headphone to use at home since it's open and awesome for the genres I listen to or is the signature pro a better headphone? If the SigPro is better, it wouldn't make sense to buy the grado since I would never use it.

Each of these two headphones offer different pesentations of the music.  Grado being very forward , fast and detail oriented , especially the RS-1.  The Sig Pro is a tad more laid back while still remaining fast and extemely detailed.

Currently I own the GS-1000 and it rarely gets any head time due to the Sig Pro.  I never thought I would say this, but I find the Sig to be the overall better headphone of the two.  If I was to do it all over again I would probably just shoot for the Sig as my one and only hp, perhaps get a nice amp or dac with the $700 your saving on the RS-1.

Dont get me wrong,  I still enjoy the Grado sound, but the intimacy, detail ...(the list goes on and on) of the Sig Pro trumps it.  I would even dare to say that the Sig is technically the superior hp.

Now, whether I would go portable with the Sig? probably not....its a great at home hp, keep that in mind.  Audition them if you can.

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #1,315 of 2,431
Each of these two headphones offer different pesentations of the music.  Grado being very forward , fast and detail oriented , especially the RS-1.  The Sig Pro is a tad more laid back while still remaining fast and extemely detailed.

Currently I own the GS-1000 and it rarely gets any head time due to the Sig Pro.  I never thought I would say this, but I find the Sig to be the overall better headphone of the two.  If I was to do it all over again I would probably just shoot for the Sig as my one and only hp, perhaps get a nice amp or dac with the $700 your saving on the RS-1.

Dont get me wrong,  I still enjoy the Grado sound, but the intimacy, detail ...(the list goes on and on) of the Sig Pro trumps it.  I would even dare to say that the Sig is technically the superior hp.

Now, whether I would go portable with the Sig? probably not....its a great at home hp, keep that in mind.  Audition them if you can.

It will be hard to find a sig pro to audition, but I know where to audition lower end models to see if the s-logic works with my ears. I have a question though, since the sig pro is closed, dont you miss the airy feel of the grado's since they are open or does the sig pro manage to have that airy feel with its s-logic and such? I do intend to use it as a portable, and it would be great to have such an awesome can which I can take everywhere. I'll probably get an asgard for it for home use, it seems like a good combination since the asgard is a warm amp.

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #1,316 of 2,431
Quote:
It will be hard to find a sig pro to audition, but I know where to audition lower end models to see if the s-logic works with my ears. I have a question though, since the sig pro is closed, dont you miss the airy feel of the grado's since they are open or does the sig pro manage to have that airy feel with its s-logic and such? I do intend to use it as a portable, and it would be great to have such an awesome can which I can take everywhere. I'll probably get an asgard for it for home use, it seems like a good combination since the asgard is a warm amp.

If you are looking to use as a portable, the brand new Sig DJ may better meet your needs.

http://ultrasone.com/stores/us/Ultrasone-Signature/Ultrasone-Signature-DJ.html

I am considering for myself- lower cost than Sig Pro, more bass, similar design, should have comparable overall sound quality, but not known yet.  To my ears, the Sig Pro does have decent soundstage for a closed can and sounds fantastic, but certainly not as much as one that is open.

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #1,319 of 2,431
If you are looking to use as a portable, the brand new Sig DJ may better meet your needs.

http://ultrasone.com/stores/us/Ultrasone-Signature/Ultrasone-Signature-DJ.html

I am considering for myself- lower cost than Sig Pro, more bass, similar design, should have comparable overall sound quality, but not known yet.  To my ears, the Sig Pro does have decent soundstage for a closed can and sounds fantastic, but certainly not as much as one that is open.

I've been eyeing this thread for some time, its out already but there are no reviews yet. To be honest I'm not much of a basshead but if it maintains the sound quality of the signature pro AND adds morr bass, it might be an awesome portable.

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #1,320 of 2,431
Quote:

It's a great portable too.  I have no idea why some people think otherwise.

Im not disputing the fact that its a great portable.  Its billed as such.  My point is that its a true audiophile hp first and foremost.  Sure it can be lugged around in the knap sack and so forth having said that however, I guess I have a tendency to baby my gear.  If I was going portable I could think of a few cheaper options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back