ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Aug 8, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #1,173 of 2,431
I've actually heard them!!! TWICE now!! (HD700)

And..  I like them...  I don't jump into hypes..  I'm not rolling in cash.

I listened to the Ed8s twice at meets..  then 3 more times at a personal listening session with a retailer before banking in.

And then returned them a week after, to switch to the LE version...

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #1,175 of 2,431
Quote:
I can respect that.  I've just also heard them myself and didn't think too highly of them.  I'd generally feel better seeing someone spend that kind of money on an HE-500 or LCD-2. 

Is this because you dont think that dynamics can sound as good as orthos? because the dynamic TH900s which are double the cost of the HD700s are regarded by many (including myself) as sounding better than the similarly priced LCD3s. I just dont see what you mean by "feel better seeing someone spend that kind of money on..." I havent listened to the HD700s but I have demo'ed the HD800s on several occasions and I think for what they do they are fairly priced (I assume the same for the HD700s - but I imagine your point wasn't the HD700s specifically but highly priced dynamics compared to similarly priced orthos, hence my argument).

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #1,176 of 2,431
1. I own the TH900's and agree with the people who prefer them to Audez'e (both of which I also own, along with the HE-500's).

2. I actually have heard the HD700's, as I said, and didn't like them much at all, so I'd at least hope that the poster I quoted before would audition either of those orthos first to be sure. 

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #1,177 of 2,431
Quote:
1. I own the TH900's and agree with the people who prefer them to Audez'e (both of which I also own, along with the HE-500's).

2. I actually have heard the HD700's, as I said, and didn't like them much at all, so I'd at least hope that the poster I quoted before would audition either of those orthos first to be sure. 

gotcha 
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #1,178 of 2,431
Well, nowadays price has little to do with the actual manufacturing costs but to plenty of other factors. I haven't demoed HD700 myself (while owning a HD800) but I was very disappointed to find out that the only thing they share in common with HD800 is the look. HD800 uses a ring radiator, HD700 a smaller conventional driver. A lot of mixed reviews, people comparing it more often with HD650 (which is a very nice headphone and great VFM in my opinion) rather than with HD800 - I have no doubt that it's better than a HD650, I am just not sure about the pricing. There seems to be little on offer to justify the premium over HD650, nearly in HD800 territory. Then again what is a right price? Is 750£ the right price for a SP? Difficult to tell. I guess a headphone is worth exactly as much as we're willing to pay for it. If you're happy with the price performance ratio, enjoy them.  

Aug 8, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #1,179 of 2,431
I agree. But sadly Sennheiser aren't famous for their price drops...

I love the HE-500. I do. And I lust for the He-6 more than I do the HD700..  or the 800..  or the LCD-3...  And unlike the big brands..  hifiman's headphones I feel are priced closer to their value in sound.

But they're very..  impractical. I don't like 'listening stations'

I prefer investing in a good portable source where I can bring the music everywhere. So maybe, the HD700 will have to wait till the DX100 comes. But I'm skeptical of the price as well....

Aug 8, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #1,180 of 2,431
Whoa, tonight is a different story my friends. The SP must be given some time. Either that, or burn-in exists profoundly. 

While I maintain the imaging and soundstage on the Edition 8 is sharper and bigger, there is an intimate, real, and special character to the soundstage of the SP. And it is very addicting. Now, anything with vocals, including pop, rock, or acoustic and classical are very much preferred with the SP. The bigger soundstage on the Ed8 is fun for electronic, but the hot-as-hell high end ruins it. The SP has an authority because of the low-mids that the Ed8 doesn't have with electronic. 

These findings, coupled with the true portability of the SP, and the fact that I don't have to baby them makes them the winner for me. I shall be listing my Edition 8 for a great price shortly. 

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #1,181 of 2,431
Quote:
Whoa, tonight is a different story my friends. The SP must be given some time. Either that, or burn-in exists profoundly. 

While I maintain the imaging and soundstage on the Edition 8 is sharper and bigger, there is an intimate, real, and special character to the soundstage of the SP. And it is very addicting. Now, anything with vocals, including pop, rock, or acoustic and classical are very much preferred with the SP. The bigger soundstage on the Ed8 is fun for electronic, but the hot-as-hell high end ruins it. The SP has an authority because of the low-mids that the Ed8 doesn't have with electronic. 

These findings, coupled with the true portability of the SP, and the fact that I don't have to baby them makes them the winner for me. I shall be listing my Edition 8 for a great price shortly. 

I had the same feeling - the soundstage is much more intimate on the SP and I did like the ed8 for electronic music more, BUT only for short term listening since the Edition 8s are definitely sibilant - the SP on the other hand are much smoother/yet equally detailed in the treble frequencies.

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #1,182 of 2,431
I asked HeadRoom if I could borrow their Ultrasone Signature Pro headphones, but since they're so expensive HeadRoom hadn't opened the box on a new pair for the sales guys. They figured they'd sell a few and then use on of the returns for the sales team. Guess what? None have come back! That really got me curious and fortunately our very own John Grandberg had a pair to send me for a measure and quick listen. By golly, I think they may be the best Ultrasone product I've heard---though I'm no fan of their S-Logic. I wouldn't pay $1300 for them, but if you're an Ultrasone fan you might.

It seems Tyll @ Innerfidelity actually liked the Sig Pros too! And like he says, $1300 might be a bit too much but seeing that they go for $850 or less, I think they are ideal and at a great price to compete with in the $500 - $1000 range!

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #1,184 of 2,431
Quote:
I completely agree on that. If you see them for $900 or less - get them!

Seeing as how most people around here think the Sig Pro is on par with, or even better than the Edition 8, which starts retailing for $1500 - granted you can snag em new for less - must mean that the consensus is that the Ed8 is outrageously overpriced? I don't think that is the general consensus. They are still selling very well, and are considered a flagship headphone which competes at the $1000 range. How are the Sig Pros only worth $900 or less? Or only compete at a mid-high range of $500-1000? Do they not compete with the $1000+ flagship headphones from Audeze, Hifiman, and Sennheiser? Lots of people on this thread think so. I don't think $850 is what they are worth, I think $850 is a steal!

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #1,185 of 2,431
850 is a steal. This is one of the top 3 or top 5 closed headphones out there.

In fact, for being a 'purely closed' headphone with any sort of isolation, the SigPros are my top pick for SQ. They're just butt ugly :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back