ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Feb 25, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #2,116 of 2,431
I see. Signature Pro is $1200. I'm surprised to find that it's not better than other headphones in the same price range.
Do you think you can use Sig Pro for professional monitoring and mixing?
Then, how does it sound compared to T1, SRH1840, AKG 812 Pro, the flagship phones of others companies?

I've heard about HE-6's great sound quality. I didn't know if it's ahead of HD800, LCD-X. They both have good reviews.
HE-500 seems interesting too.

The other headphones mentioned have that stereotypical "Hi-Fi" sound that incorporates a certain sparkle to the sound.  The Sig-Pro on the other hand doesn't offer the same stereotypical Audiophile sound but none the less it is of Audiophile quality.

Best to give it a listen if you haven't already done so (so that the above sentences will make more sense).  Let me reach into my Head-Fi bag of clichés and say that the Sig Pro is "not a downgrade but merely a side step" compared to the other heavy hitters you've mentioned.

It offers up a different flavor.

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #2,117 of 2,431

The other headphones mentioned have that stereotypical "Hi-Fi" sound that incorporates a certain sparkle to the sound.  The Sig-Pro on the other hand doesn't offer the same stereotypical Audiophile sound but none the less it is of Audiophile quality.

Best to give it a listen if you haven't already done so (so that the above sentences will make more sense).  Let me reach into my Head-Fi bag of clichés and say that the Sig Pro is "not a downgrade but merely a side step" compared to the other heavy hitters you've mentioned.

It offers up a different flavor.

Yeah, I understand that point of view...

then, how about:

TH-900 - HD-800 - Sig Pro - GS-1000?

How would you rank them? is Sig Pro detailed enough to compare with TH900 and HD800?
is it good enough for pro mixing and mastering use?
Sig Pro has fairly positive reviews yet its users are clearly less than that of HD800, T1, LCD-X, HE-6, etc.

Feb 25, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #2,118 of 2,431

Yeah, I understand that point of view...

then, how about:

TH-900 - HD-800 - Sig Pro - GS-1000?

How would you rank them? is Sig Pro detailed enough to compare with TH900 and HD800?
is it good enough for pro mixing and mastering use?
Sig Pro has fairly positive reviews yet its users are clearly less than that of HD800, T1, LCD-X, HE-6, etc.

Honest opinion ..... for pure detail retrieval I give it to the HD800 although the TH900 is no slouch in that department either.  My order of preference currently is TH-900, HD-800, Sig Pro....GS1k is merely for sentimental reasons and doesn't really get much use these days.

For durability however and everyday use in a studio environment the Sig Pro wins hands down.  Based on pure neutrality (which is what I assume you are striving for) it has to go to the HD-800.  Like I said though you owe it to yourself to audition the Sig to see if it offers enough neutrality for your intended use.

May be a tad bass heavy for mixing but for a fun sound it cant be beat (Sig-Pro).  TH900 may suffer from sucked out mids with a slight emphasis on Bass (think of it as a more Audiophile oriented Sig-Pro).  HD-800 ..hyper detailed, borderline sterile perhaps a good fit for your application.

Audition when you can.

Feb 25, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #2,120 of 2,431

Honest opinion ..... for pure detail retrieval I give it to the HD800 although the TH900 is no slouch in that department either.  My order of preference currently is TH-900, HD-800, Sig Pro....GS1k is merely for sentimental reasons and doesn't really get much use these days.

For durability however and everyday use in a studio environment the Sig Pro wins hands down.  Based on pure neutrality (which is what I assume you are striving for) it has to go to the HD-800.  Like I said though you owe it to yourself to audition the Sig to see if it offers enough neutrality for your intended use.

May be a tad bass heavy for mixing but for a fun sound it cant be beat (Sig-Pro).  TH900 may suffer from sucked out mids with a slight emphasis on Bass (think of it as a more Audiophile oriented Sig-Pro).  HD-800 ..hyper detailed, borderline sterile perhaps a good fit for your application.

Audition when you can.

The reason I'm looking for Sig Pro is because I got a good used deal offer.
It's less than half the price of HD800, TH900, etc.
I would certainly buy it if Sig Pro compares favorably with famous models. Sig Pro has the least amount of reviews among the units.

For right now, HD800 is out of my price range. I would expect minimum 1k on this.

Feb 25, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #2,121 of 2,431

The reason I'm looking for Sig Pro is because I got a good used deal offer.
It's less than half the price of HD800, TH900, etc.
I would certainly buy it if Sig Pro compares favorably with famous models. Sig Pro has the least amount of reviews among the units.

For right now, HD800 is out of my price range. I would expect minimum 1k on this.

If you can grab it for a good deal its a no brainer.  Its a great headphone.

Probably the reason why you don't hear much about it in these parts is because it kind of just flew under the radar when released.  Not a lot of hype was generated on the Sig Pro....I can assure you though its one of those sleeper hits. 

Go for it
beerchug.gif

Feb 25, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #2,122 of 2,431

If you can grab it for a good deal its a no brainer.  Its a great headphone.

Probably the reason why you don't hear much about it in these parts is because it kind of just flew under the radar when released.  Not a lot of hype was generated on the Sig Pro....I can assure you though its one of those sleeper hits. 

Go for it
beerchug.gif

Thanks. I will grab it shortly.

Last question: how's its sound stage? is it as wide as HD800's?
I hope it doesn't sound very congested. My old Shure SRH 840 sounded like that.
Sig Pro is a closed headphone. Some closed headphones have this issue.

Feb 25, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #2,123 of 2,431
You should search up 

open vs closed

on the headfi search box right at the top of the page (in the banner).

Don't mean it in a bad way. It's just that if you're expecting hd800 levels of soundstage I suggest looing into headphones in general and seeing in which band of headphones each belongs. Why closed, isolating headphones do what they do and how full size, large diameter, fully open back, angled driver....headphones like the hd800 differ.  

Feb 25, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #2,124 of 2,431
  You should search up 

open vs closed

on the headfi search box right at the top of the page (in the banner).

Don't mean it in a bad way. It's just that if you're expecting hd800 levels of soundstage I suggest looing into headphones in general and seeing in which band of headphones each belongs. Why closed, isolating headphones do what they do and how full size, large diameter, fully open back, angled driver....headphones like the hd800 differ.  

They cost nearly the same.
Can anyone comment on Sig Pro's sound stage? is it wide enough?

One of the Amazon's reviewers have mentioned that
"The Signature Pro's sound is incredibly detailed, particularly in terms of a very precise mid-range and a tight, but sonically rich and deep bass. The soundstage is as wide as that of the best open headphones, which is almost impossible to achieve in closed headphones."

http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-Signature-Pro-Professional-Closed-back/product-reviews/B006H3MJT4/ref=sr_1_2_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #2,125 of 2,431
I don't agree with that reviewer on the soundstage. It's much smaller than the hd800 and other top open back headphones. In my opinion that is, but I can safely say that's probably shared by nearly all headfiers. 

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #2,126 of 2,431
The perceived soundstage on the HD700 is larger than on the Signature PRO. This is when you compare direcly only. After some time the Sig Pro soundstage opens up for me, due to my brains EQ and sound detecting system starts to adjust. My feeling is that I have the same soundstage on most of my cans if I do not compare directly.

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #2,127 of 2,431
It is complicated because Ultrasone's S-logic is what increases the sound stage and people perceive it differently. There are some discussions about it, i think it has come up with the ed8. For some it gives the feel of a large soundstage, others don't hear it and things sound congested. I think i am closer to one who hears it to an extent but doesn't match my HD800s. Of course the HD800 is widely known for it's soundstage.

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #2,128 of 2,431
  I don't agree with that reviewer on the soundstage. It's much smaller than the hd800 and other top open back headphones. In my opinion that is, but I can safely say that's probably shared by nearly all headfiers. 

I strongly agree too.  Had the Sig Pro for over a year. The HD 800 has one of the best soundstages ( own one too ).  With some recordings you can even get the impression the stage is
somehow in front of you.  The next close thing to speakers. The Sig Pros soundstage is small compared. The instruments / voices are right , left and above you.  Not really realistic. But quite an enjoyable listening. Some people say it sounds a bit congested. I can understand....

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #2,129 of 2,431

I strongly agree too.  Had the Sig Pro for over a year. The HD 800 has one of the best soundstages ( own one too ).  With some recordings you can even get the impression the stage is
somehow in front of you.  The next close thing to speakers. The Sig Pros soundstage is small compared. The instruments / voices are right , left and above you.  Not really realistic. But quite an enjoyable listening. Some people say it sounds a bit congested. I can understand....

Interesting.. thanks for your opinion.

For now, there's no way I can buy HD800. I have to wait at least six months for that.
HD800 seems to have the best sound stage and LCD-X follows right behind it, then Beyerdynamic T1.

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #2,130 of 2,431
For me it does not make much sense what you ask: Due to the difference in construction, closed HP versus an open one, the soundstage is difficult to compare. Closed HPs have in my experience a much harder time to create the impression of soundstage due to their construction. You seem to want an open headphone from your posts.
For the S-logic, I got the impression it depends as well on the recording. With some albums I have the feeling it works for me and with others not. But in general I find the sig pro picky on recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back