Ultrasone Edition 8
Feb 22, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #1,876 of 2,099
Edit:
After initial "brain burn" over the "involving" signature, I am failing to find words as these cans sound freaking possessed as they are unbelievably amazing...
They are making my Galaxy Note2 sound like an expensive home setup.
Every song sounds Incredible...

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #1,878 of 2,099
Edit:
After initial "brain burn" over the "involving" signature, I am failing to find words as these cans sound freaking possessed as they are unbelievably amazing...
They are making my Galaxy Note2 sound like an expensive home setup.
Every song sounds Incredible...

Does this mean that they now sound the same as you remembered in the shops? I've got less experience with multi Ed8's (although I owned an Ed8LE for 9 months) but with their SigPro series I can tell you in my experience there the different units can sound very different. There's been discussions here (and in the SigPro threads) that Ultrasone isn't always consistent in SQ of same models they produce.

If you search for QA or QC in these threads some posts should pop up.

Feb 25, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #1,879 of 2,099
Does this mean that they now sound the same as you remembered in the shops? I've got less experience with multi Ed8's (although I owned an Ed8LE for 9 months) but with their SigPro series I can tell you in my experience there the different units can sound very different. There's been discussions here (and in the SigPro threads) that Ultrasone isn't always consistent in SQ of same models they produce.

If you search for QA or QC in these threads some posts should pop up.
That could be it..
My can has more bass and larger sound while not as sweet more like transparent with a slight treble edge at times but not sibilant and a lot of detail thru out.
A palpable separation of instruments in a solid soundstage.

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #1,882 of 2,099
I recently bought both a used Ultrasone Edition 8 (Possibly with less than 2 hours of burn in) and Beyerdynamic T5P from a member of this site. Have sent both headphones to Peter at Double Helix cables to have him install Triple Threat Audeze adapters that will accept Audeze headphone cables. Am also having built the Macromolecule Elite 8 - Wire pure OCC Silver Peptide Litz headphone cable with Audeze connectors. Have been chatting with Peter today and will post some of his impressions of the recabled Edition 8 below.

All done w/ the Ultrasones.
Look/sound great, they really have some neat qualities.
Great texture & realism.
Pretty respectable, they have a very clear sound.
The stock cable is awful.
Some sort of tin shield for the negative conductor.
A plastic insulated mystery wire for +.
Clean drivers, desoldered all the factory solder off the pads.
Replaced with cardas solder.
Careful re-use of the stock strain reliefs, which have to been trimmed & adjusted.
I'm getting a lot more depth, detail, & realism now.
They sounded a lot less than a $1500 headphone or whatnot when they had that stock cable on there.
I think they're pretty neutral too, but I'll have to give them some bassier material.
These are definitely the ultimate compact can now, and they clearly differentiate themselves from a $400 headphone like P7.
Classical sounds terrific!
They really like some good power and a proper cable. Honestly I was laughing at these ED8's when they first arrived for costing this much. and the last pair I did, with SPC, it was hard to see their full potential, as they weren't set up with my big bad amp.
I'm hearing some really sexy bass right now.
These are amazing.
They REALLY needed the cable and proper amp though.
Just out of my Audioengine3 + laptop stock it wasn't anything like this.
The honest truth is that I've never taken Ed8 seriously before. I thought they were a ripoff!
I admit freely that I was wrong.
They simply scale very high.
Bad gear, bad source, bad cable, they don't sound much different than a $300 headphone.
With some burn in, cable, good source/amp and material they are fantastic!
They actually do bring something unique to the table.
Very exciting vocals and presentation.
I think these are a little less open than hd800, but much less harsh, and a bit more mid-bass.
They have very very realistic vocals.
That may be the best part.
They sound pretty organic.
It's worth noting of course that so far these ed8 are not material picky, very very lightweight and compact, and easily driven at low amp power.
I'm barely using much volume knob on my Mjolnir.
It doesn't hurt that this is the most lavish recable job ever done to an Ed8.
These are some thrilling headphones.
They may be even more interesting than T5P.
I'm putting these ahead a little more. They're a little less forward/shrill and very natural.
You will definitely have a blast with both.
Ok, just listened to a few Van Halen tracks. Switching to LCD3
See if i get more.
LCD3 has a bit wider soundstage.
It has a gentle, grunty sound.
Ultrasone perhaps rocks a bit harder.
ED8 is compressed more as it's closed. but I can't say i like how the LCD3 handled that track more.
Honestly Ed8 has more air.
And crispness.
It's surprising.
This is me referring to the track Jump.
Ed8 are brighter, which works really well here.
I think ed8 are the better can for 80s rock.
Oh yeah. Ed8 are freakishly open sounding for the size of their small cups.
Yeah, you're going to be happy w/ these.

If anyone has any questions for Peter at Double Helix cables you are welcome to email him at the address provided below.

peter@doublehelixcables.com

Mar 8, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #1,883 of 2,099
I've been using the Ultrasone 8 for the last two years. I am no expert when it comes to the headphones, I simply liked the way these headphones sound so I bought them.
However, today the cushion on the left can fell off. It seems as if the glue dried out. It's still a bit sticky, but it won't hold the cushion one the can anymore. Please see my avatar.

As I have a 7 years of warranty, would you advise me to send these headphones for a repair or I should simply to the work and glue the cushion back to the can? In case of the latter one, could you recommend me a glue I'd be safe to use on it, please? (BTW, I'm in the US so some US store would be preferable).

I'm sorry if this had to go to Help, Recommendation section. I thought this is kind of part of maintenance and headphone experience here. If I was wrong, I apologize, and please move the post to the right section.

Thanks!!!

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #1,884 of 2,099
You could either write an e-mail to Ultrasone headquarter in Germany and request new pads on warranty, or fix it with some double sided glue tape. There should be something decent availble in your area.

Mar 9, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #1,885 of 2,099
Same thing happened to my pair.  Ultrasone USA sent me some replacement adhesive rings and new pads (which you don't really need, but are nice to have).  Just make sure you remove the cloth lining over the drivers (if you choose to put the new pads on), since the pads have cloth linings of their own.

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #1,886 of 2,099
  Just make sure you remove the cloth lining over the drivers (if you choose to put the new pads on), since the pads have cloth linings of their own.

Would you recommend a way to do it, please? The lining seems to fit very nicely. Should I just pull it up with my fingers, and it would go away as the pad did?
So, new pads come with the lining installed, or the pads were basically glued to the lining in the first place, and in my case those two fell apart?

Thanks a lot guys. I sent an email to Ultrasone, and hope they would respond any time next week.

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #1,887 of 2,099

Would you recommend a way to do it, please? The lining seems to fit very nicely. Should I just pull it up with my fingers, and it would go away as the pad did?
So, new pads come with the lining installed, or the pads were basically glued to the lining in the first place, and in my case those two fell apart?

Thanks a lot guys. I sent an email to Ultrasone, and hope they would respond any time next week.

I had to replace mine as well recently, dropped an email to Ultrasone and they got the local distributor to ship a new pair to me free of charge.  The new pads come with the lining installed which was why I figured leaving on the new lining was better than trying to peel them off and stick it onto the old ones.  To remove the old ones just scratch it off with your finger nails and peel it off with your fingers - it should come right off once you get enough off to grab onto and pull.  The housing of the driver is metal so it's unlikely you would damage anything.  

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #1,888 of 2,099
I recently bought both a used Ultrasone Edition 8 (Possibly with less than 2 hours of burn in) and Beyerdynamic T5P from a member of this site. Have sent both headphones to Peter at Double Helix cables to have him install Triple Threat Audeze adapters that will accept Audeze headphone cables. Am also having built the Macromolecule Elite 8 - Wire pure OCC Silver Peptide Litz headphone cable with Audeze connectors. Have been chatting with Peter today and will post some of his impressions of the recabled Edition 8 below.

If anyone has any questions for Peter at Double Helix cables you are welcome to email him at the address provided below.

how much did you pay?

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #1,889 of 2,099
i found this price:
Reterminate Shure/Ultrasone/new Westone/UE900 IEM plugs (MMCX) ( +$8.00 )

"Triple Threat" Headphone Adapters - 1 cable for all headphones

Starting at: $109.00

8+109= $117
so, what's your price?

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #1,890 of 2,099

Great texture & realism.
Pretty respectable, they have a very clear sound.
The stock cable is awful.
Some sort of tin shield for the negative conductor.
A plastic insulated mystery wire for +.
Clean drivers, desoldered all the factory solder off the pads.
Replaced with cardas solder.
Careful re-use of the stock strain reliefs, which have to been trimmed & adjusted.
I'm getting a lot more depth, detail, & realism now.
They sounded a lot less than a $1500 headphone or whatnot when they had that stock cable on there.
I think they're pretty neutral too, but I'll have to give them some bassier material.
These are definitely the ultimate compact can now, and they clearly differentiate themselves from a $400 headphone like P7.
Classical sounds terrific!
They really like some good power and a proper cable. Honestly I was laughing at these ED8's when they first arrived for costing this much. and the last pair I did, with SPC, it was hard to see their full potential, as they weren't set up with my big bad amp.
I'm hearing some really sexy bass right now.
These are amazing.
They REALLY needed the cable and proper amp though.
Just out of my Audioengine3 + laptop stock it wasn't anything like this.
The honest truth is that I've never taken Ed8 seriously before. I thought they were a ripoff!
I admit freely that I was wrong.
They simply scale very high.
Bad gear, bad source, bad cable, they don't sound much different than a $300 headphone.
With some burn in, cable, good source/amp and material they are fantastic!
They actually do bring something unique to the table.
Very exciting vocals and presentation.
I think these are a little less open than hd800, but much less harsh, and a bit more mid-bass.
They have very very realistic vocals.
That may be the best part.
They sound pretty organic.
It's worth noting of course that so far these ed8 are not material picky, very very lightweight and compact, and easily driven at low amp power.
I'm barely using much volume knob on my Mjolnir.
It doesn't hurt that this is the most lavish recable job ever done to an Ed8.
These are some thrilling headphones.
They may be even more interesting than T5P.
I'm putting these ahead a little more. They're a little less forward/shrill and very natural.
You will definitely have a blast with both.
Ok, just listened to a few Van Halen tracks. Switching to LCD3
See if i get more.
LCD3 has a bit wider soundstage.
It has a gentle, grunty sound.
Ultrasone perhaps rocks a bit harder.
ED8 is compressed more as it's closed. but I can't say i like how the LCD3 handled that track more.
Honestly Ed8 has more air.
And crispness.
It's surprising.
This is me referring to the track Jump.
Ed8 are brighter, which works really well here.
I think ed8 are the better can for 80s rock.
Oh yeah. Ed8 are freakishly open sounding for the size of their small cups.
Yeah, you're going to be happy w/ these.

peter@doublehelixcables.com

Hi I have to agree with you on these cans with a cable upgrade.
I have the "whiplash" silver cable upgrade specificly for these ed8 and the sound is astounding.
Just knocked me over and made me MIA for a while listening,
As every song is so alive and huge and more palpable instrument separation.

I would like to know, how did you open the cups?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back