Ultrasone Edition 8
Aug 29, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #1,846 of 2,099
Quote:
When we compare the Inner Fidelity measurements of both the ED8 and the SIG PRO we see a compareable fr response from bass to the mids. But the graphs of the SIG PRO are better regarding square wawes and thd&noise especially in the bass region. So for me the SIG PRO is the better choice, especially because its stealthy looks. And even though my ears are huge the pads fit me nicely. If you want the same good sound quality, a hyper bass, a wider soundstage and some bling bling you'd better walk the SIG DJ route instead. But I must confess, that I never had a listen to the ED8.

It sounds like a refined Beats (though retaining some of the 'cotton wool bass' aspect) with the characteristically odd soundstage. Though I would probably not have said that before my FS concluded
wink.gif

And I'm not usually a troll. It's perfectly ok to listen to in all honesty but I wouldn't call it the pinnacle of quality. You're paying for the materials and the styling on this one... especially as the standard of build is not all that hot, either.

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #1,847 of 2,099
Quote:

You've got me wanting to "take the plunge" too......
regular_smile%20.gif

And after weeks of use, I like it even more.  I use it as my portable setup with an iPod Classic into a C421 portable amp.  Great synergy by the way. 

Remember I had the Sig Pro - these are WAY more comfortable and the bass is clearly better as well.  Better for portable use as well. 

Sig Pro's are great but these are better TO ME.  Sig Pro's after about 30 minutes the pad made me want to rip the headphone off. 

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #1,848 of 2,099
If anyone is interested in trading their Ed8 for my T5p, then let me know! :)

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #1,849 of 2,099
Hello Everyone

I purchased an Edition 8 Palladium and I've been comparing it to my T5p and wanted to share my views.

At present, I'm left rather underwhelmed to be honest. Perhaps I was expecting too much, or I had built an incorrect mental image of what it should have been.

T5p vs. Edition 8 Palladium (both via Burson Soloist SL)

Soundstage
The T5p wins here quite convincingly. Having spent time with the Edition 8, I actually realised how open sounding the T5p actually sounds for a closed can. The Edition 8 sounds narrow and does not extend as far left and right as the T5p. Easy win for the T5p here.

Treble
I would say the ED8 is warm and less detailed than the T5p, The Beyer has lots of detail, sparkle and in conjunction with the wide sound stage you hear more from the T5p. The T5p can be a little bright for me but rarely. The ED8 sounds smooth. Again I prefer the extra detail of the T5p but I do appreciate the warmth of the ED8.

Mids
Now I was really disappointed here. The ED8 sounds similar to the Pro900. Now, I'm not talking about the recessed mids, no. The ED8 has upfront forward mids. Not as forward as T5p but still forward. The problem I have with the Ed8 and the Pro900 was that the vocals sound like someones got a bucket on their head, or they are singing while being constipated. I just can't explain it better. The ED8 and Pro900 sound strained to me in the mids, the ED8 being not so strained but still noticeably so compared with T5p. The T5p on the other hand sounds life-like, natural and noticeably better. In fact, I've only ever heard Beyers do mids best. There's just something about the Tesla mids that make it so natural and lifelike to me.

Bass
This is the only win for ED8 and my only criticism of the T5p. Where the ED8 gives me satisfying bass, I'm always wanting more bass with the T5p. However, I miss the slam of the HFI-780. That headphone does bass with authority,

Summary
Overall,  comparing the ED8 to the T5p, the ED8 sounds artificial, computerised, somewhat digital sounding. The T5p sounds so natural and real. It's quite surprising how obvious this is. With the exception of bass, the T5p wins hands down. I wanted the ED8 for so long and wanted it to work for me. I'm really surprised with the outcome. I would say the Beyer DT1350 is at least on par with the ED8 at a fraction of the price. I hope this comparison was helpful.

The release of the Beyer Custom One Tesla next year will be my headphone end game, I am confident of that. A Tesla headphone with COP bass? That's surely a winning formula.

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #1,850 of 2,099
  Summary
Overall,  comparing the ED8 to the T5p, the ED8 sounds artificial, computerised, somewhat digital sounding. The T5p sounds so natural and real. It's quite surprising how obvious this is. With the exception of bass, the T5p wins hands down. I wanted the ED8 for so long and wanted it to work for me. I'm really surprised with the outcome. I would say the Beyer DT1350 is at least on par with the ED8 at a fraction of the price. I hope this comparison was helpful.

The release of the Beyer Custom One Tesla next year will be my headphone end game, I am confident of that. A Tesla headphone with COP bass? That's surely a winning formula.

Wow, that's quite a statement to make. The DT1350 can be found new for $200. I have a come and go love with ultrasones, especially their lower models. I was always curious to hear the Edition 8, and I was really disappointed with this headphone. I share a lot of your sentiments, and found the edition 8 to not greatly exceed the ultrasone HFI-780, and really couldn't compete with headphones in the same price range. 

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #1,851 of 2,099

Wow, that's quite a statement to make. The DT1350 can be found new for $200. I have a come and go love with ultrasones, especially their lower models. I was always curious to hear the Edition 8, and I was really disappointed with this headphone. I share a lot of your sentiments, and found the edition 8 to not greatly exceed the ultrasone HFI-780, and really couldn't compete with headphones in the same price range. 

I actually hold the HFI-780 in high regard. I've purchased it twice before. It's a seriously great headphone for the price. It's a little bright at times but with the right DAC/amp that can be resolved.

Sep 26, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #1,852 of 2,099
The HFI-780 are the base, from which the SIGNATURE PRO was developed. They even share the same baffle board. Added was a better driver (neodymium magnet) better sounding ear pads (I have the vinyl pads and they sound much worse than the original leather pads) luxurious headband and overall more worthy components. And the SIG DJ is completely based on the HFI-480/DJ1cans. Again same baffle board same driver size/material added neodymium magnet....... And the EDITION 8 is more based on the PRO line construction and so it is natural that a few thigs might remind you of the PRO 900. Just look at the baffle board construction where the driver is sitting behind those grille...
So if you like the HFI-780 the Signatures are your natural choice

Sep 26, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #1,853 of 2,099
The HFI-780 are the base, from which the SIGNATURE PRO was developed. They even share the same baffle board. Added was a better driver (neodymium magnet) better sounding ear pads (I have the vinyl pads and they sound much worse than the original leather pads) luxurious headband and overall more worthy components. And the SIG DJ is completely based on the HFI-480/DJ1cans. Again same baffle board same driver size/material added neodymium magnet....... And the EDITION 8 is more based on the PRO line construction and so it is natural that a few thigs might remind you of the PRO 900. Just look at the baffle board construction where the driver is sitting behind those grille...
So if you like the HFI-780 the Signatures are your natural choice

Thanks for the very insightful knowledge. I did not know this. I guess the Signature Pro DJ would be more to my liking (since I love the HFI-780 bass) but I can't get past the white paint job. Hopefully, they'll release it in black at some point.

Regarding the ED8, I just expected a flagship product costing 1300 EUR to sound better than what I heard. It's grossly overpriced looking at it from an audiophile viewpoint. Sure, the materials and construction is top notch but these play second fiddle to what should be priority 1 - sound quality. 

Thanks for the very interesting information nonetheless.

Sep 26, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #1,854 of 2,099
Do you still own the HFI-780?

Sep 26, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #1,855 of 2,099

It sounds like a refined Beats (though retaining some of the 'cotton wool bass' aspect) with the characteristically odd soundstage. Though I would probably not have said that before my FS concluded
wink.gif

And I'm not usually a troll. It's perfectly ok to listen to in all honesty but I wouldn't call it the pinnacle of quality. You're paying for the materials and the styling on this one... especially as the standard of build is not all that hot, either.

Calling these a refined Beats is like calling Porsche a refined Fiat.

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #1,856 of 2,099
Sep 28, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #1,857 of 2,099

Quote:

Summary

It has been my experience that my older headphones that i am used to listening to sound more natural at first due to their familiarity.  May not be the case but if you live with the Ed8's and listen to them exclusively for a while, then go back to the T5p you may be surprised.  

Sep 28, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #1,858 of 2,099

It has been my experience that my older headphones that i am used to listening to sound more natural at first due to their familiarity.  May not be the case but if you live with the Ed8's and listen to them exclusively for a while, then go back to the T5p you may be surprised.  

I tend to agree with this..............the more I listen to my Edition 8's, the more I like the sound. 

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #1,860 of 2,099

Users who are viewing this thread

Back