Ultrasone Edition 8
Aug 1, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #1,831 of 2,099
Congrats, and yes still one of the best closed headphone imo.  Hard to know without hearing them yourself though.  Some newer designs get those jumping on them and making claims but those that stay top and are still produced are a pretty dependable way to go even if owners get tired of posting about them after time.

Aug 1, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #1,832 of 2,099
Quote:
Maybe the 650s but the 800s? Wow, I own all thee of those and the 650 is smoother but the 800 needs toning down with equipment whereas th ed8 plays with almost anything very smoothly. Comparing the ed8 to the monument is like comparing the 800 to my grade 225.

Well, that's my opinion when they were plugged in my main rig. If plugged on my portable rig, yes the ED8 would generally fare better. I guess my ears didn't enjoy the S-Logic or something. It was definitely harsh to me.

I do miss their shininess though!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 1, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #1,833 of 2,099
I also have to chime in and agree with the 'Ed8 is almost borderline sibilant' talk of the last few posts, however my source sucks _big_ time. 

I've been thinking of spending some $$ on a Meridian Explorer for a while now, as a all-in-one dac+amp solution to pair with my laptop. Moving to a new country has left all the previous gear behind. Has anyone had any luck with the Ed8 and the explorer?

If any soul can recommend a different USB dac+amp combo in the <=$450 range, you have my complete attention. It doesn't have to be portable necessarily, and 24/192 isn't important.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #1,834 of 2,099
I just purchased the Edition 8s and I will say right out of the box they were very bass heavy, and were hard to drive. I had my AK120 at full volume to drive them. I let them burned in for 2 days and now they have come alive, bass is more tamed and sound stage has widened. I like their sound better than my one year old Sig Pros now. Might be putting them (Sig Pros) up for sale.

Aug 10, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #1,835 of 2,099
Is the Sig Pro easier to drive from a AK120? I mean,both of my Signatures are easy to drive from an IPOD classic if needed. From my Meier Stepdance is much better, but half vol on an Ipod is loud enough.

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #1,836 of 2,099
Quote:
I just purchased the Edition 8s and I will say right out of the box they were very bass heavy, and were hard to drive. I had my AK120 at full volume to drive them. I let them burned in for 2 days and now they have come alive, bass is more tamed and sound stage has widened. I like their sound better than my one year old Sig Pros now. Might be putting them (Sig Pros) up for sale.

I use the AK120 with volume at #50 usually.  Maybe i listen low but that is comfortable setting for me.  Did that ever change or are you still cranking it all the way up?   Glad to hear you like them, I want to hear the Sig Pro's but not holding my breath that they compete with these wonderful phones.  Anyway hope i can hear them to see if i want a back up at one point that has a different flavor.

Aug 10, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #1,837 of 2,099
Quote:
I use the AK120 with volume at #50 usually.  Maybe i listen low but that is comfortable setting for me.  Did that ever change or are you still cranking it all the way up?   Glad to hear you like them, I want to hear the Sig Pro's but not holding my breath that they compete with these wonderful phones.  Anyway hope i can hear them to see if i want a back up at one point that has a different flavor.

Is after I burned them in for a couple of days I now can have volume at around 55 on the AK120 and to get the same level Sig Pros are at 50. Edition 8s are getting better the more they are used so far.

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #1,838 of 2,099
Quote:
Is after I burned them in for a couple of days I now can have volume at around 55 on the AK120 and to get the same level Sig Pros are at 50. Edition 8s are getting better the more they are used so far.

Regardless of  where one may sit in any burn in debate, it is a bit of a stretch to imply that burn in effects a headphones efficiency. The brain is a complex organ.

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #1,839 of 2,099

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #1,840 of 2,099

I actually looked today after posting, I was going to edit because early morning dog walk with the ed8 and ak120 and vol at 45 sounded as loud as I would want it. Funny the different listening levels that we all have.

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #1,841 of 2,099
The Ultrasone Edition 8's

One of the most underrated "portable" headphones of all time.

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #1,843 of 2,099
Quote:
Just got my Edition 8's via UPS from a fellow Head Fier..............first impressions are very positive. Reference point is the Sig Pro I had for a month (traded for a D7000) -

Comfort - better than Sig Pro - ears fit in the pads perfectly, great seal and headband is better than the Sig Pro as well

Bass - better than Sig Pro by a smidge

Soundstage - much better than my Pro900's for some reason and better than Sig Pro. 

Looks..............well, if these aren't the best looking headphone on the planet I don't know what is. Low profile, lays on the head nicely - very portable - better than my M-100 (just sold) for sure.

I am sooooooooooooo glad I took the plunge. 

You've got me wanting to "take the plunge" too......
regular_smile .gif

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #1,844 of 2,099
When we compare the Inner Fidelity measurements of both the ED8 and the SIG PRO we see a compareable fr response from bass to the mids. But the graphs of the SIG PRO are better regarding square wawes and thd&noise especially in the bass region. So for me the SIG PRO is the better choice, especially because its stealthy looks. And even though my ears are huge the pads fit me nicely. If you want the same good sound quality, a hyper bass, a wider soundstage and some bling bling you'd better walk the SIG DJ route instead. But I must confess, that I never had a listen to the ED8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back