Ultrasone Edition 10 announced!
Aug 9, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #333 of 771
I want this!
frown.gif

Aug 9, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #334 of 771

Quote:
I don't even think the Edition 8 is worth nearly it's price tag. What makes Ultrasone think that the Edition 10 will be worth nearly double the price tag of the Edition 8?

A bit absurd really.

I don't think Frootloops are worth $6 for a small box when a jumbo box of plain Cheerios are $3, yet I have friends who swear by them and agree to pay the price blindly. Also, the last time I saw that much typographical abuse, someone was trying to send a secret message in it!

"I think worth price. Worth nearly double, a bit." -- I KNEW IT!

Aug 9, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #335 of 771
perhaps it seems absurd...
but, if they produce 2,010 units, and there's someone out there to buy each and every one of them at that price, then why would they charge less?

and, why must we insist on measuring headphones' worth relative to each other?

is the R10 three times better than the HD800?
is the T1 more than 10 times better than the M50?
is the Portapro only 1/20th as good as the RS1?

it's all absurd when you start looking at it that way.

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #336 of 771
Seems like some people are still surprised when they see the law of diminishing returns in effect.  It all depends on the user.  A 400$ haircut is worth it to a politician, even though its not 25 times better than a supercut.  Wines are worth the markup for the discerning connoisseur.  Audio is the same thing.  In my case, it would be worth the extra couple thousand dollars just to indulge my snobbery.

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #337 of 771
Haha, typographical abuse? You mean the random bolded words scattered everywhere?

That was my edited version of my original post, in which my original post didn't contain specific bolded words. I only edited it after I started getting 'called out on' for what I wrote. Thus I bolded some 'key words' so people wouldn't get confused with what I was trying to say. Let's break it down to pieces just so specific individuals don't think I use "typographical abuse" as an ordinary tactic.
wink.gif

Those 'key words' I mentioned are: I, think, worth, price, worth nearly double, and a bit. And if you notice the words "I", "think", and "a bit" you will soon realize I am not wrong.

Because it's only an opinion...

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #338 of 771

Quote:
I don't even think the Edition 8 is worth nearly it's price tag. What makes Ultrasone think that the Edition 10 will be worth nearly double the price tag of the Edition 8?

A bit absurd really.

The ED8 IMO is not even on the same league sonically of the prior Editions 9 or 7, it is a headphone that, IIRC, according to one of the guys in Ultrasone, was designed more with a protable use in mind...I heard it only once, and it did not make me change my mind about my previous choise on the Ultrasone line...I'm waiting for the Chroma to arrive, and I will try to listen this new Edition 10 to see...I think that there is indeed an upgrade on my way soon, maybe not at that price but who knows...

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #339 of 771

Quote:
perhaps it seems absurd...
but, if they produce 2,010 units, and there's someone out there to buy each and every one of them at that price, then why would they charge less?

and, why must we insist on measuring headphones' worth relative to each other?

is the R10 three times better than the HD800?
is the T1 more than 10 times better than the M50?
is the Portapro only 1/20th as good as the RS1?

it's all absurd when you start looking at it that way.

I think you've got it wrong.  If you look at price and SQ on a graph as the two axes, I think people would agree that the SQ curve flattens considerably above a certain price point, ie. SQ doesn't double for a hp that is 2x the price of the previous highest price - in fact, as you know, price is not a reliable indicator of SQ, as for example, a hp like the AKG 701/702, (whether you like it personally or not), clearly 'punches above its weight' (price vs SQ).  Will the Ultrasone 10's SQ be 150% of a Stax 007 MKII (@ $2,000 approx.) ?...possible, but not likely.

Aug 9, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #341 of 771
I used to have a relationship with Florian Koenig and Stephanie G. (who works for Ultrasone USA and I heard they are not plying nicely with the bigger boys.) I will e-mail Florian and see if he'll send a pair over for the NYC Fall Meet, and perhaps he'll come for Canjam.

Sovey, does Rudi still sell his products?

Aug 9, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #342 of 771
The ED9s sounded like a more sterile version of my markl-modded Denon D5000s at the time I owned them. My theory is that people who are strongly affected by the S-Logic system really like them.  I was not.

Lets say though that the ED10s are great headphones.  Now then if they were selling them for US$1k, then they'd floor the market.

Aug 10, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #344 of 771

Quote:
I used to have a relationship with Florian Koenig and Stephanie G. (who works for Ultrasone USA and I heard they are not plying nicely with the bigger boys.) I will e-mail Florian and see if he'll send a pair over for the NYC Fall Meet, and perhaps he'll come for Canjam.

Sovey, does Rudi still sell his products?

You are right, they did not, and I heard that this was the main reason the relationship got broken. Cathy is now working for Mohave Audio, and I think that Steph also. Evan the former engineer is working, if I'm not mistaken, as a consultant for an electronic firm...

Aaron, Rudi never sold any of their products. They used to sell one of Rudi amps paired with the PROLine 2500, what they called the Systema. We posted the pictures and info on the web, but never sold them, as per their agreement with Rudi, they were the only that were authorized to do it. Later on the RPX33 that was designed for the Editions, but as far as I know, we never sold any Ultrasone headphone, not that I'm aware of...

Aug 10, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #345 of 771
Quote:
The last time I saw that much typographical abuse, someone was trying to send a secret message in it!

LOL!
atsmile.gif

As soon as I can afford any luxury Ultrasone I will definitely take a very close look and consider a final headphone purchase. I don't know why, but Ultrasone is just for me - I love the sound signature of the 780!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back