Ultrasone Edition 10 announced!
Aug 1, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #46 of 771
Erm, yeah. I think I would rather spend that kinda money on either a good K1000 or Stax O2 rig. 

Aug 1, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #48 of 771

Quote:
ugly?  wow i find them quite beautiful.  Though they do look like robotic face huggers from planet X. 

this could be one of the best investments on earth right now.  If the sound manages to keep up with the price that is...

It would have to be the new R10 then :p

If I would buy it it would be some kind of investment to make a profit in 20 years time or something. I would die to be able to hear it though.

Aug 1, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #50 of 771

Quote:
Erm, yeah. I think I would rather spend that kinda money on either a good K1000 or Stax O2 rig. 

X3.  I think they are just trying to be the company with the most expensive production headphones on the planet.

Aug 1, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #51 of 771
Ugh... Given that ED9 is the worst headphone I've ever heard (not exaggerating), I doubt they'll be anywhere near fantastic.

Aug 1, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #52 of 771

Oh wow. Lots of leather and metal. Based on that alone, they must surpass anything made of plastic. Just like how a solid gold watch keeps better time than a plastic or stainless one.

I'll give them a listen, but am not expecting them to be much different than other Ultrasones I've listened to and haven't bought.

Uncle Erik, you are my hero.

Aug 1, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #53 of 771
I love my HFI-780 & Zino and I hope I can try the Ed. 10 out one day. Personally, I hope my quest for the perfect earphone will end well below € 1000.

The have awesome customer support, though. I've asked if it's possible to order a new plastic piece for the Zino. They responded fast and we ended up chatting about mods and I'm getting a free velour headband stripe for my HFI-780. :)

I'm sold. I doubt I'll sidestep to another brand in the near future.

Aug 1, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #54 of 771
I hope the advent of the Ed 10 will depreciate the value of the Ed 8 - as similar flagship replacements have done to other headphone manufacturers.  That way, a person of modest means may purchase the Ed 8 without breaking the bank.  The Ed 9 should have made that possible but it just didn't.  Right now, this flagship-replacement effect has made it affordable to own great beyers, AKGs, Sennheisers, Denons, ATs and Grados.  It's like buying a year-old car and enjoying the huge depreciation that comes when somebody drives a new car off the lot for the first time.

In its own way, innovation is better for those who aren't buying the top-shelf offering than it is for the early adopter.  So, hey, you early adopters, get out their and subsidize the good times for the rest of us.

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #55 of 771
Aren´t you just talking about price desentivisizing... spell check please?

the DT 990/DT 880 hasn´t gone down in price since the T1 released.
HD 650 is still as expensive as prior HD 800 release.
It doesn´t seem to work that way sadly since they are priced so many times those offerings
Many who get the HD 650 would never dream of paying 1400$ for a headphone,
just like many would not dream of paying for a HD 650.

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #56 of 771
As much as I like the Edition 8, there is a zero percent chance I will be buying these.  That's a LOT of money, and I'm quite happy with my current stable of open headphones.  (I'm also happy with my closed headphone stable, but the Ed 10 are open, so...)
I like the looks, though
L3000.gif

I also doubt the Ed 8 used prices will drop much in the wake of this - they are less than 1/2 the price new, and they are closed headphones - different deal entirely.

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #58 of 771

love the looks..

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #59 of 771
I think they are smart going with more unique looks :)

Everyone and their brother has the plain jane look.  Nice to see some personality.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back