Ultrasone Edition 10 announced!
Aug 1, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #76 of 771
Shouldn't we wait to hear it before we pass judgement? It's already damned.. On a subconscious level the majority have already made up their minds that it's WAY over priced.. I give credit for Ultrasone for keep pushing out luxury, 'ultra hi end' headphones.. When was the last time Sony or AT put out a true flagship model? 04?? 010 & L3000.. Ultrasone has put out 3 since 07..

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #77 of 771
The look is great.. Very creative & original, but seems a bit on the love it or hate it look side..

Quote:
The design looks cool, a bit like a 60's toaster but I love the size and the pads, about speakers I'm sure you can buy a lot homy speakers, but not the Adam S3X-H / S4X and up. I just hope to get a chance to demo the 10's asap....

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #80 of 771

...  Would be cool to know what all the circles are!

maybe 6 drivers. for that price there must be something unusual
tongue.gif

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #82 of 771

Quote:
Looks like someone listened to a pair of Sextetts and liked what they heard...  Would be cool to know what all the circles are!

Five will get you ten, it has to do with the S-Logic approach.  Instead of having the drivers aimed point blank, these probably have it offset.  The ported approach may be designed to give you indirect treble and ported bass.

Aug 1, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #83 of 771
i live in a tiny flat, speakers in  general will bother my neighbors. My setup sounds great and better then lots of speaker systems that cost more. Also when I lived in my last house it had all glass windows (floor to ceiling) on two sides and had stone tile floors which made for less than optimal situation for sound. With headphones I don't have that problem...

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #84 of 771

Quote:
Shouldn't we wait to hear it before we pass judgement? It's already damned.. On a subconscious level the majority have already made up their minds that it's WAY over priced.. I give credit for Ultrasone for keep pushing out luxury, 'ultra hi end' headphones.. When was the last time Sony or AT put out a true flagship model? 04?? 010 & L3000.. Ultrasone has put out 3 since 07..

The only judgment I've passed is on the looks. I'm more than willing to give anything a listen at least once.

To me the clashing brushed metal with glossy metal is just tacky as can be. The brown color is not the most optimal, but perhaps in person it is different. I do really like the earcups themselves (including the color/metal finish) and the design of the pads (not the color). They look well made, but obviously the designers have different tastes than I do.

I've never actually heard an Ultrasone. They aren't popular in my area apparently, because I've never seen any at meets. From what I see on the FR charts on Headroom I have to wonder if I would even be remotely close to liking them. Their FR charts resemble the sound I'd expect from $5 headphones.

I do give them credit for continuing to push the envelope, but I wonder if there really is a market for something in this price range. R10, Qualia, L3000 and the like are as expensive or more, but that is largely due to their being out of production and thus they are a functional investment similar to buying a Stradivarius violin and loaning it out to a touring soloist. Brand new, in production, R10s were about $2600. Now they normally go for $5-6k in 8/10 to 9/10 condition on the Audiogon scale. The above mentioned headphones are many people's holy grails and they have a similar forum reputation so they always sell very well. They have a built in value whether the buyer has heard them or not. The Ed10 is a new untested phone priced higher (significantly) than the R10s originally sold for. Time will tell, but I certainly don't expect people to be selling off their $1k+ phones to fund purchases of Ed10s without an audition. The only market I can see for these ~2000 phones in the run is for collectors or people with ample disposable income. People balancing their hobby budget will likely miss the chance to buy waiting for an audition.

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #86 of 771

Quote:

um, i thought they were $4000.  anybody more knowledgeable than me want to fact check this? 
popcorn.gif

I read in a thread recently that spoke of someone buying one of the last new R10s on.. I think it was Amazon? for $2600.

edit: OK I was wrong. It was actually $2000. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/351179/sony-mdr-r10-owner-s-club/15#post_4782759

There is talk in the thread of people selling at '$3400 and not making much'. Also keep in mind some of these headphones are 20 years old. The early ones were probably cheaper due to inflation.

One person in that thread mentioned buying for $3800 in 2004. I'm guessing the Amazon price was a fluke, but they did make good on it apparently. Lucky, lucky.

Overall at worst they are approximately the same price as R10s if you can average the sale price over the 15 or so years they were sold.

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #87 of 771
Okay, this isn´t even funny. xD I could get a decent car for years to come with that money. Or a good rig with any other new headphone. That´s simply too much money for a single part of the system. I rather use that to buy what matters the most, the music. (And a new DAC soon. =D)

After the disgust at first, I like the look though, pretty much actually... Nice materials and classy design.

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #89 of 771

Quote:
I read in a thread recently that spoke of someone buying one of the last new R10s on.. I think it was Amazon? for $2600.

edit: OK I was wrong. It was actually $2000. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/351179/sony-mdr-r10-owner-s-club/15#post_4782759

There is talk in the thread of people selling at '$3400 and not making much'. Also keep in mind some of these headphones are 20 years old. The early ones were probably cheaper due to inflation.

One person in that thread mentioned buying for $3800 in 2004. I'm guessing the Amazon price was a fluke, but they did make good on it apparently. Lucky, lucky.

Overall at worst they are approximately the same price as R10s if you can average the sale price over the 15 or so years they were sold.

i see.
likely that the list price was 4000.  and going price on the street may have been as low as 2000 when they were discontinued...

nonetheless.  it's interesting to see a company other than sony break the 2000 barrier with dynamic headphones.
i use the word "interesting" because i'm not sure yet if that excites me (about the possibilities of sound) or disgusts me (about profiteering and consumerism).

Aug 1, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #90 of 771
Do the Edition phones sell right at MSRP? If so I'd say they will be the most expensive dynamic phones ever (at street price).

Agree with you on the perforated leather, I do. A great solution to 'sweaty leather' people sometimes complain about. Also looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back