Ultrasone Edition 10 announced!
Oct 7, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #586 of 771

Quote:
I love how there's now a rash of anti Edition 10 threads, people whining about the price like a bunch of 5-year-olds with nothing truly constructive to say.

It's funny how a lot of the same people will not so much as bat an eye at the idea of dropping the same money on a silly 3D TV, or a high-end DSLR. $3000 for headphones/speakers/amplifiers/CD players etc. though, NEVER! High-end audio just gets no respect from a lot of people. It's not really a gender issue, it's just something that is. I think it's because you really have to be an audiophile and music lover to understand it. You can impress anyone with a Runco projector and a giant screen, whether they are a videophile and huge film buff or not. Audio doesn't work that way.

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #587 of 771

Quote:
I think you misunderstand my statement. 
wink_face.gif

Okay, fair enough. Sorry for misunderstanding. In all fairness though perhaps you misunderstand my original statement a bit. No harm though. I realize I came off as a little hot headed with my post, but the latter half is something very important to me.

Quote:
Quote:

You seem to be missing my point. I'm not saying women are directly being mocked for buying expensive things here on head-fi, just as men are not made fun of for being men when they buy beats. I'm saying the headphones get labeled as "jewelry" as a means of degrading them. I've seen beats called jewelry too. It is an image which brings to mind "female frivolity ."

I've also never seen someone say "I wish that lovely Asian man wearing those headphones came with them so I could keep him in my house as a headphone holder." I'm sure there are some head-fiers who have thought this, but they've done a good job of keeping it to themselves. Meanwhile I've seen several posts referring to women in this same way.

Edit: Anyway, this isn't the thread to debate this. I will refrain from speculating and commenting until I actually get my Edition 10. If it sounds like an Edition 8 but open and spacious as some early reports suggest, I'll be happy. If it turns out to be a fancy joke, then I can return it. Either way, no harm done.

A) I thought you couldn't return these, as they are a pre-ordered limited edition.

B) What if a guy is wearing Beats, are they still considered jewelry, female frivolity, or even a statement about his sexuality then?

Just asking 
bigsmile_face.gif

A.) Some places have a no return policy from what I've seen, though I've ordered from Sound Earphones and they've always been cool about returning stuff--even really expensive limited stuff--in the past.

B.) Beats me! Har har, couldn't resist. Interestingly enough a lot of homophobia toward males I've noticed has an underlying implication of seeing one or both men as "women" in a means of degrading them. Which is thoroughly ridiculous on many levels beyond the obvious misogyny. Sexism and homophobia seem to go hand in hand often times though, though.

Anyway, grokit, I'm afraid we're taking things a bit too off topic for the thread. I'd be happy to continue discussing these things with you via PM if you're interested. 
smile.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #588 of 771

Quote:
Honestly I do feel for your MuppetFace. Must be hard. <--- I am totally serious here.

You make great points that make me gasp to think about what my 6 year old daughter will have to go through as she grows up. I work in a primarily male driven profession (engineering) and see first hand how tough women have it. Just rest assured we're not all like that (especially those of us who have daughters).

I really appreciate your heartfelt sentiment, thank you. I'm sure you'll raise your daughter to be a wonderful young lady who can stand up for her rights when the need arises.

Quote:
It's funny how a lot of the same people will not so much as bat an eye at the idea of dropping the same money on a silly 3D TV, or a high-end DSLR. $3000 for headphones/speakers/amplifiers/CD players etc. though, NEVER! High-end audio just gets no respect from a lot of people. It's not really a gender issue, it's just something that is. I think it's because you really have to be an audiophile and music lover to understand it. You can impress anyone with a Runco projector and a giant screen, whether they are a videophile and huge film buff or not. Audio doesn't work that way.

Well, it CAN be a gender issue. Just the other night a friend's friend was over and he saw all my audio gear. He asks "oh, is your boyfriend into stereo equipment?" because he naturally assumed I wouldn't be interested in such things.

I totally agree that people spend $3000 on impractical things all the time so it's silly to specifically single-out Edition 10 buyers. Yeah, it's a lot to spend on headphones. I wont deny that. But if it gives me pleasure and I use my hard earned money to buy it, why should I be ridiculed for it?

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #589 of 771
I can't believe what I'm reading - some girls are into cars but I have never heard of one whining about the pictures of the ooohhh ssoooo hot, gorgeous and sexy models that are plastered over garages, toolboxes, and car magazines.  Muppetface, I think you're over-reacting.  Here is a beer on me.
beerchug.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #590 of 771
The reason I have criticized the ed10 a little is because I think some people may not be seeing things in good perspective. It is easy to presume the sound quality of these headphones is reflected by the price, so it's important for people to be reminded that the sound properties of these headphones have not had a major update from previous Ultrasone models. But given the limited production, materials and accessories, I think it has comparable value for money as other Ultrasone models, maybe higher due to the quite limited production run.

I think I make a valid point with the price of some speakers, there are some $1000-5000 speakers that have their price drastically reduced which I think is due to overstock. They might not have the same detail as the totl headphones, and you may not be able to collect them like headphones lol, but they are in the same price range as totl headphones which usually have their MSRP maintained by manufacturers.

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #591 of 771

Quote:
I can't believe what I'm reading - some girls are into cars but I have never heard of one whining about the pictures of the ooohhh ssoooo hot, gorgeous and sexy models that are plastered over garages, toolboxes, and car magazines.  Muppetface, I think you're over-reacting.  Here is a beer on me.
beerchug.gif

To clarify, I am not "whining" about the use of women in marketing, headphones or otherwise. I am "whining" about people on this forum seeing photographs of women wearing headphones and then commenting that they want to:

1) buy that woman
2) use her as an object, such as a headphone stand

I honestly didn't intend for this to become a debate on sexism. I realize that this is all getting a bit off topic, so please people, let's just continue discussing the Edition 10. I'm always willing to discuss issues of sexism, homophobia, etc. via PMs so if you want to talk about it there feel free.

Thanks for the beer by the way, but I'm in the US, so it's a bit early for me to be drinking. 
smile.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #593 of 771

Quote:
The reason I have criticized the ed10 a little is because I think some people may not be seeing things in good perspective. It is easy to presume the sound quality of these headphones is reflected by the price, so it's important for people to be reminded that the sound properties of these headphones have not had a major update from previous Ultrasone models. But given the limited production, materials and accessories, I think it has comparable value for money as other Ultrasone models, maybe higher due to the quite limited production run.

I think I make a valid point with the price of some speakers, there are some $1000-5000 speakers that have their price drastically reduced which I think is due to overstock. They might not have the same detail as the totl headphones, and you may not be able to collect them like headphones lol, but they are in the same price range as totl headphones which usually have their MSRP maintained by manufacturers.

Just to clarify, when you say the sound properties have not had a major update, you mean the listed specs for the headphones and/or Ultrasone using the same components as prior models? I'm still reserving judgement for when I actually listen, because spec sheets and graphs can only tell you so much and are no substitute to actual listening experience, but you have valid points there.

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #594 of 771
Personally, I like for ALL of my audio gear to look nice as well as sound nice.  I prioritize sound over looks, but since there are lots of products that deliver BOTH good sound and good looks, these are the ones I tend to buy.

Also, FWIW, I see lots of NFL players wearing Beats.  Why?  Because they THINK those are the most expensive headphones they can buy.  If they KNEW about the Edition 10, I can promise you they would buy them, and we would see them wearing them on the sideline before Monday Night Football.

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #595 of 771

Quote:
To clarify, I am not "whining" about the use of women in marketing, headphones or otherwise. I am "whining" about people on this forum seeing photographs of women wearing headphones and then commenting that they want to:  
1) buy that woman
2) use her as an object, such as a headphone stand

Women who complain about being seen as objects make me laugh TBH. I've heard women talk about and do the exact same thing when referring to men a lot. It goes both ways.

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #596 of 771
Yup, if I was in the financial position I was in earlier this year, I would snap one up just to say that I can.  At least I know they won't sound that bad.  I'm all for the bling bling if had the ching ching.  
gs1000.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #597 of 771

Quote:

Women who complain about being seen as objects make me laugh TBH. I've heard women talk about and do the exact same thing when referring to men a lot. It goes both ways.

Sexism is wrong whether it's directed toward men or women. I'm sorry that serious issue makes you laugh.

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #599 of 771

Quote:
 I realize I came off as a little hot headed with my post, but the latter half is something very important to me.

Might be something to do with those headphones you wear being closed.... 
L3000.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #600 of 771

Quote:
Of course it is. I am just saying that your posts are coming across as an attack on men, when in fact women are just as bad at doing the exact things you are "whining" about.

When did I ever say men were posting these things? I have never, at any point in any of my posts, said "men." I have said "people on head-fi." The simple fact is, I have seen posts degrading women here. Whether these were posted by men or women is irrelevant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back