Ultrasone Edition 10 announced!
Oct 6, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #571 of 771
Do you mean You'll pick ED10 over Prada or Louis Vuitton anytime?!  
eek.gif

Quote:
Between these and the HE-6 I feel like I need to put on a headphone fashion show. 

Forget handbags. Headphones are the only accessories I need.

Oct 6, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #572 of 771

Money well spent. 
beerchug.gif

Is a healthy hobby anyway.

Quote:
MuppetFace and Thinker, I look forward to your thoughts and impressions. Horrifyingly, I have found myself considering these...

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #573 of 771

I love how there's now a rash of anti Edition 10 threads, people whining about the price like a bunch of 5-year-olds with nothing truly constructive to say.

It's a shame. Even if these headphones sound really amazing, people are going to simply chalk up positive reviews to early adopters lying and trying to hype the headphones.

People seem to imply that just because we're spending this much on a pair of headphones, we're wealthy idiots who don't know real audio quality from our ass. Never mind there are people on this forum with the L3000, Qualia, R10, and HE90 which all cost just as much if not more than the Ed. 10.

Some of the most knowledgeable and most respect-worthy people I know on these forums own these ridiculously expensive models. Not saying money equals knowhow, but I am saying money doesn't automatically NOT equal knowhow.

Also feel the need to comment on the misogynist things people have been posting. There seems to be this perception among a few head-fiers that just because the Edition 10 looks pretty it's "jewelry." Another poster joked Ultrasone's target audience is women because the Edition 10 to them was all style and no substance. As a female audiophile, I think it's ridiculous to imply that women are frivolous and incapable of actually discerning true quality beyond the [size=small]perception[/size] of something simply looking nice.

I'm also mighty tired of seeing people, even jokingly, post about how they'd buy something "if it came with the woman" that's modeling the headphones in pictures. Objectifying women isn't cool and it makes you look like a total ass.

/rant

Quote:
Do you mean You'll pick ED10 over Prada or Louis Vuitton anytime?!  
eek.gif

You bet! 

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #574 of 771
Well said, MuppetFace, I agree with everything that you said. But wouldn't you agree that Paris Hilton's whole self-imposed image is a caricature of objectification? The way that she chooses to present herself defines the way she is perceived, like she actually wants to be objectified.

Back OT, hopefully when the Edition 10 gets released into the wild there will be something more intelligent to talk about in this thread 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #575 of 771

Quote:
Well said, MuppetFace, I agree with everything that you said. But wouldn't you agree that Paris Hilton's whole self-imposed image is a caricature of objectification? The way that she chooses to present herself defines the way she is perceived, like she actually wants to be objectified.

True, Paris Hilton seems to thrive on objectification. Some women do. I'd argue that even still it doesn't make objectifying those women right. Just like giving a heroin addict heroin just because she or he wants it isn't right. 

Edit: So, on topic, the most legitimate anti-Edition 10 argument I've seen thus far is that they're not going to sound that great because it's made by Ultrasone. Fair enough. We'll see. I happen to find the Edition 8 a very nice sounding pair of headphones. If they top that, to me, it will be worth the cost of admission. I will grant others may not agree obviously. Monetary value is subjective.

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #576 of 771
Quote:
Also feel the need to comment on the misogynist things people have been posting. There seems to be this perception among a few head-fiers that just because the Edition 10 looks pretty it's "jewelry." Another poster joked Ultrasone's target audience is women because the Edition 10 to them was all style and no substance. As a female audiophile, I think it's ridiculous to imply that women are frivolous and incapable of actually discerning true quality beyond the [size=small]perception[/size] of something simply looking nice.

When people make the same joke about guys buying the Beats is it misandrist?

I think the real target is just people who are putting form over function.  Is there a a word for that?  "Stylist" has unfortunately already been taken.

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #578 of 771

Quote:
When people make the same joke about guys buying the Beats is it misandrist?

I think the real target is just people who are putting form over function.  Is there a a word for that?  "Stylist" has unfortunately already been taken.

You seem to be missing my point. I'm not saying women are directly being mocked for buying expensive things here on head-fi, just as men are not made fun of for being men when they buy beats. I'm saying the headphones get labeled as "jewelry" as a means of degrading them. I've seen beats called jewelry too. It is an image which brings to mind "female frivolity ."

I've also never seen someone say "I wish that lovely Asian man wearing those headphones came with them so I could keep him in my house as a headphone holder." I'm sure there are some head-fiers who have thought this, but they've done a good job of keeping it to themselves. Meanwhile I've seen several posts referring to women in this same way.

Edit: Anyway, this isn't the thread to debate this. I will refrain from speculating and commenting until I actually get my Edition 10. If it sounds like an Edition 8 but open and spacious as some early reports suggest, I'll be happy. If it turns out to be a fancy joke, then I can return it. Either way, no harm done.

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #579 of 771

Quote:

You seem to be missing my point. I'm not saying women are directly being mocked for buying expensive things here on head-fi, just as men are not made fun of for being men when they buy beats. I'm saying the headphones get labeled as "jewelry" as a means of degrading them. I've seen beats called jewelry too. It is an image which brings to mind "female frivolity ."

I've also never seen someone say "I wish that lovely Asian man wearing those headphones came with them so I could keep him in my house as a headphone holder." I'm sure there are some head-fiers who have thought this, but they've done a good job of keeping it to themselves. Meanwhile I've seen several posts referring to women in this same way.

Edit: Anyway, this isn't the thread to debate this. I will refrain from speculating and commenting until I actually get my Edition 10. If it sounds like an Edition 8 but open and spacious as some early reports suggest, I'll be happy. If it turns out to be a fancy joke, then I can return it. Either way, no harm done.

Honestly I do feel for your MuppetFace. Must be hard. <--- I am totally serious here.

You make great points that make me gasp to think about what my 6 year old daughter will have to go through as she grows up. I work in a primarily male driven profession (engineering) and see first hand how tough women have it. Just rest assured we're not all like that (especially those of us who have daughters).

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #580 of 771
Gear tends to be mocked when it puts style over SQ, something which doesn't just go for headphones.

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #581 of 771

Cool down.

Same thing apply to people who already put there mind to buy it even without hearing it if this is about why people start throwing rock when not even audution it.

People who love the unknown new product and people who dont, they are in equally position. Both can be totally ass. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I love how there's now a rash of anti Edition 10 threads, people whining about the price like a bunch of 5-year-olds with nothing truly constructive to say.

It's a shame. Even if these headphones sound really amazing, people are going to simply chalk up positive reviews to early adopters lying and trying to hype the headphones.

People seem to imply that just because we're spending this much on a pair of headphones, we're wealthy idiots who don't know real audio quality from our ass. Never mind there are people on this forum with the L3000, Qualia, R10, and HE90 which all cost just as much if not more than the Ed. 10.

Some of the most knowledgeable and most respect-worthy people I know on these forums own these ridiculously expensive models. Not saying money equals knowhow, but I am saying money doesn't automatically NOT equal knowhow.

I'm also mighty tired of seeing people, even jokingly, post about how they'd buy something "if it came with the woman" that's modeling the headphones in pictures. Objectifying women isn't cool and it makes you look like a total ass.

/rant

You bet! 

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #582 of 771

Quote:
Cool down.

Same thing apply to people who already put there mind to buy it even without hearing it if this is about why people start throwing rock when not even audution it.

People who love the unknown new product and people who dont, they are in equally position. Both can be totally ass. 
beerchug.gif

I'm sorry, but I don't agree. At no point did I ever judge the Edition 10 beyond "I want to try it." Have I ever claimed to know how it sounds?

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #583 of 771

I think you misunderstand my statement. 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't agree. At no point did I ever judge the Edition 10 beyond "I want to try it." Have I ever claimed to know how it sounds?

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #584 of 771
I feel sorry for your wallet once your daughter starts to grow up =P

Quote:

You make great points that make me gasp to think about what my 6 year old daughter will have to go through as she grows up. I work in a primarily male driven profession (engineering) and see first hand how tough women have it. Just rest assured we're not all like that (especially those of us who have daughters).

Oct 7, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #585 of 771
Quote:

A) I thought you couldn't return these, as they are a pre-ordered limited edition.

B) What if a guy is wearing Beats, are they still considered jewelry, female frivolity, or even a statement about his sexuality then?

Just asking 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back