Ultrasone Edition 10 announced!
Aug 24, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #391 of 771
They should have come out 2 version, standard and Limited. They can put whatever pricetag on *Limited*, but given a choice for consumer to choose the basic version with no fancy box or etc.

Aug 25, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #393 of 771

Quote:
This is one of the most sensible posts I've seen in this thread. I couldn't agree with you more. 
L3000.gif

Except that the K1000 he listed wasn't really a statement headphone. They originally sold for under $400. Their value has shot up over double since they've been discontinued. One of the main reasons, I think, is the unique apparatus and good, but not great sound quality. They give a great presentation, but could be better with not much effort if the line had continued and upgraded instead of halting.

Aug 25, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #394 of 771

I guess K1000s belong to midfi range. If AKG going to strike again, they must do so quickly...........

Aug 25, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #395 of 771
AKG has the track record to do whatever they want. They could wait 10 more years to release a statement product and we would gobble it right up, although looking at the K1000 as a mid-fi offering, I don't really see any statement products from AKG, except perhaps the K340 which was an amazing feat of engineering, but still rather inexpensive in the grand scheme of statement products. Perhaps we'll never see a true statement headphone from AKG.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #396 of 771
Interesting thread.  I just now stumbled across it.  

I quite like the look of the E10, and although I know that the looks add significantly to the price that they figure they can gouge me with, they're probably a lot wiser than I am.  Why?  Because if the E10 sound as good as they (and their stand and case) look, then I'll definitely end up owning a pair one day.  I may hold out for a while, but they'll eventually get to me.  

I do find it quite encouraging that the few people who have heard them so far have almost universally been extremely impressed by their sound, as well as comfort.  (Everyone with the exception of the guy who thought they were too bright and not for him.)  Encouraging because if a company is going to attach such a high price to an item like this, then it ought to at least be (arguably) a "top tier" headphone in terms of sonics.  People can then quibble about "how" good it is, and thus how much they're willing to spend on it relative to other headphones (or other things).  But at least it won't be a turd in a fancy wrapper.

Aug 25, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #397 of 771
Quote:
Except that the K1000 he listed wasn't really a statement headphone. They originally sold for under $400. Their value has shot up over double since they've been discontinued. One of the main reasons, I think, is the unique apparatus and good, but not great sound quality. They give a great presentation, but could be better with not much effort if the line had continued and upgraded instead of halting.

Sony tried to follow in the akg K1000 footsteps with the pfr-v1, which was a big flop and discontinued early. The SQ isn't anywhere near perfect but it does have a very speaker-like presentation, so when people say they want more earspeaker headphones, I can't help but wonder why the pfr-v1 is never discussed.

Aug 25, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #398 of 771

Quote:

Sony tried to follow in the akg K1000 footsteps with the pfr-v1, which was a big flop and discontinued early. The SQ isn't anywhere near perfect but it does have a very speaker-like presentation, so when people say they want more earspeaker headphones, I can't help but wonder why the pfr-v1 is never discussed.

Because the sound quality of the PFR-V1 isn't even close to that of the K1000.

Aug 25, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #399 of 771

Quote:
On the other hand, you sometimes get ordinary drivers tarted up with fancy bling as presented as a "halo" product.

Touché
wink_face.gif

Aug 25, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #400 of 771
The K-1000 was intended as a studio headphone, not as an audiophile product. I wouldn't class it as mid-fi, either, just because of the price. It has a very natural presentation and the mids are some of the best anywhere. That has become increasingly difficult to find.

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #402 of 771
Price is $2749  (Just ordered one). This better be worth it.  Does anyone know the exact release/shipping date?

edit: Never mind found it. Claim to release on 10/10/2010 (sunday? doesn't make sense, but oh well).

Aug 26, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #404 of 771
Ok. I just wathced most of this video. CEO explains all about the ED10 (Drivers, Cables, Stands, Pads, box....)

Sorry if someone already posted this video somewhere in the last 27 pages of this thread. ( 1 Hour and 16 Mins) You can skip over most of it, but its in English.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/8645098#utm_campaigne=synclickback&source=deniedbyhost&medium=8645098

Few Key points that I found in the parts I watched:

- 1stEdition headphone with Open Back Design
- 1stOpen back headphone with Genuine Leather on it.
-Zebrano Wood inlays (8 Layers of coating for smooth finishing).
-Ruthenium coating
-Ethiopian Sheep skin
-This time Balance drivers are included (Meaning each driver is made sure that it’s within +or - 0.5% match with the driver impedance
-Specially developed cable (3 meters in length) with memory less capability (meaning if you had a knot, and you untie it, then you won’t see any creases on the cable). They are Balanced Ready (so that means you just have do the proper termination and you have a balanced sound).   
-Drivers are better than all previous Editions.  (Driver itself is 10% more efficient than ED8). Drivers are also paired under the tolerance of 0.4 with each driver dB (measuring each driver and pairing it for best performance. So you really have a balanced sound).
-Stand and Box included (at no cost). lol

Aug 26, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #405 of 771
does it sound way better than anything ultrasone has ever released? i certainly hope so as i've owned 4 of their cans and heard both the ed. 9 & 8, as well as some other models, and haven't been all that impressed. the ed. 8 showed up at last yrs can jam and was trounced by less expensive offerings such as the hd800, let alone other high quality phones that stir up less dissent than the senns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back