Ultra disappointed with Alessandro MS-1. [UPDATE: purchased Goldring DR150, vast improvement]
Jul 27, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #16 of 42
Give them some time. I hated Grados in the beginning too.

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #19 of 42
Based on his sig I'd say he's pretty knee deep into it haha

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #21 of 42
i personally prefer my shure srh840 over my alessandro ms1 but what do you expect. the shures cost 2x the price of the alessandro's but i got the shures for $130. so only $30 more then the alessandro's. but i still believe the alessandro's are worth $100.

Jul 30, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #24 of 42

Quote:
You got too much time on your hands, kid. Go back to play with your Grado fanboy lot, nobody has asked for your "suggestions" here.

no need to diss us grado fans. but seriously looking at your signature why do you need new headphones with a similar sound signature. let alone a downgrade. i would get something fun rather then  analytical. i don't understand the point in getting the sony v6 especially considering they are known to be harsh from what i have read.

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #25 of 42
Grado fanboy here.

If you don't like the MS-1, and you want something with a more full bodied sound, you really don't have to look that far. The Shure SRH440 is a nice and balanced headphone. The Grado kind of detracts from the bass to give you that midrange and the high end. I'm just speaking factually, at this price point it's really hard to find a headphone that is going to do everything for you, at the 200-300 dollar range you definiteliy have more choices option, but the SRH440 from what I can tell from "renting" a pair at Guitar Center is a nice and balanced headphone and I wouldn't mind adding one to the stable if I wasn't into Grados.

SRH-440
HD-25 Mk1
HD558

IEMs:
Westone UM1
Earsonics SM1
Klipsch S4i

The IEM's I listed have a meaty bottom end as a foundation to the music, yet are detailed enough for musical reference, less so for the S4's I feel which are just a "fun" IEM. Their X10i is the serious reference one.

Jul 31, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #27 of 42
OK, a serious one.

A/Bing the MS1 and the V6 I noticed:

The V6 has more bass in quantity but they both have the same impact
V6 is V shaped, MS1 is mostly flat with impact and not sure if a treble pick, but def more highs, in quantity and quality.
mids in the V6 are recessed but more in the highs, so mids doesnt sounds caged or buried by bass. its basically a 'fun' can, despite being labeled as 'studio'
V6  is more portable, not for being closed but also because they fold so nicely into a little ball. cable is too long.
MS1 wins in all technical specs, more clear, detailed, articulated, overall 'analytic' but that would also look dry and thin next to the V6, which overall sounds more full, thick if you wish.
I like them both, the V6 is a nice portable to have fun with, also very comfortable and superb build quality. but for me, a grado fanboy, the MS1 is in another league, I have fun with it but also can hear 'more' in the music.
also, the grado respond better to Amp, didnt notice a difference in the V6 with my mini3.

and sorry for the  ******* typos but I might be drunk or tipsy

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #28 of 42
Quote:
Grado fanboy here.

If you don't like the MS-1, and you want something with a more full bodied sound, you really don't have to look that far. The Shure SRH440 is a nice and balanced headphone. The Grado kind of detracts from the bass to give you that midrange and the high end.

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately my problem  with the Alessandro MS1 was not the bass (which was actually pretty good for classical and jazz) but the midrange and the treble. You see, I'm really convinced that midrange and treble on the MS1 are not that special unfortunately (to my ears, that is). As I said the MS1 lacked definition and were grainy-sounding.

Aug 3, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #29 of 42

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately my problem  with the Alessandro MS1 was not the bass (which was actually pretty good for classical and jazz) but the midrange and the treble. You see, I'm really convinced that midrange and treble on the MS1 are not that special unfortunately (to my ears, that is). As I said the MS1 lacked definition and were grainy-sounding.

The lack of bass makes it sound really grainy and tinny to people who are secretly looking for bass and midbass to add to the fullness of the sound. Trust me I've been there, back in 2007 I picked up a pair of SR-60's, was disappointed, got the SR-80's thinking they'd be way better or something because of the "impact" and "bass". The K701 has amazing resolution but it'll actually sound WORSE to you because it has even less bass. It'll sound even more grainy to you but thats just the accuracy of headphones playing your music.

You just need weight with it, but the midrange and treble actually stand out quite a bit. Etymotics will most likely sound just as grey to you. I listened to the Shures very closely to my Grados I had around my neck, they'll be better but I think we should all hear what you want in terms of sonic signature before we can really just throw random headphones at you and expect you to like them while betting your hard earned money on our opinions haha.

It's really sad you don't like the MS-1's, are you going to put them up on the classifieds? A lot of people could use a good Grado!

What music tracks are you listening to? Maybe I can pin down what you might be looking for too

Aug 3, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:
The lack of bass makes it sound really grainy and tinny to people who are secretly looking for bass and midbass to add to the fullness of the sound. Trust me I've been there, back in 2007 I picked up a pair of SR-60's, was disappointed, got the SR-80's thinking they'd be way better or something because of the "impact" and "bass". The K701 has amazing resolution but it'll actually sound WORSE to you because it has even less bass. It'll sound even more grainy to you but thats just the accuracy of headphones playing your music.

You just need weight with it, but the midrange and treble actually stand out quite a bit. Etymotics will most likely sound just as grey to you.

No, I don't think so. I own and love a pair of old Etymotic ER6 by the way  (actually I should buy another pair before they phase them out for the new armature-based model). I also love my Monitor Audio speakers and my DT880 600ohm, both known for tight lean bass and for the absence of any midbass hump whatsoever. So sorry your argument does not work for me, I'm really not secretly looking for bass. But thanks for your help anyway.

As I said before the Alessandro Ms1 have been sold already, hopefully the new owner is enjoying them more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back