Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
May 16, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #8,041 of 9,690
Quote:
Hello. I'm looking to replace the stock cable because the right side keeps going out whenever I move the cable. I am debating on getting on one of the following cables. Does anybody have any experience with either cable and which one would you recommend? Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OFC-Ultimate-Ears-upgrade-cable-UE-triple-fi-10-SF-3-SF-5-/261208651571?pt=US_Music_Mixed_Lots_Other_Formats&hash=item3cd13fb733

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Lord-Telfon-upgrade-cable-for-Ultimate-Ears-UE-TF10-sf-5-sf-3-5pro-/261215532549?pt=US_Music_Mixed_Lots_Other_Formats&hash=item3cd1a8b605

I personally have the Dark Lord cable you linked for my TF10 and I think it's a very good cable and a significant upgrade from the stock cable in terms of ergonomics.

I can't vouch for this personally but I've heard the other cable you linked is the same as the Dark Lord in terms of quality, just with a different build.

May 16, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #8,042 of 9,690
Quote:

I think the heirs would cover all the bases, I got my 10s made into customs and love them, but the Heirs will do the same in terms of isolating outside noise and from what I have read they are on par if not better in terms if sound quality...

That's my thoughts exactly - will probably put them up for sale soon. Am spending some quality time with my IE8's lately - will keep them - they really are a damned fun IEM.

May 17, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #8,043 of 9,690
Quote:
Hello. I'm looking to replace the stock cable because the right side keeps going out whenever I move the cable. I am debating on getting on one of the following cables. Does anybody have any experience with either cable and which one would you recommend? Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OFC-Ultimate-Ears-upgrade-cable-UE-triple-fi-10-SF-3-SF-5-/261208651571?pt=US_Music_Mixed_Lots_Other_Formats&hash=item3cd13fb733

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Lord-Telfon-upgrade-cable-for-Ultimate-Ears-UE-TF10-sf-5-sf-3-5pro-/261215532549?pt=US_Music_Mixed_Lots_Other_Formats&hash=item3cd1a8b605

I have owned the second cable before, it is better than the stock cable (but let's face it, what ISN'T better than the stock cable) but the insertion of the plugs is not deep so they do tend to pop out from time to time. First cable looks like it has the same plugs too, so I would presume the same problem.

May 19, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #8,046 of 9,690
Lol, I would like to retract that statement after recently acquiring the UE900, and, having found them extremely underwhelming from a musicality/fun perspective, now thinking back to how much I enjoyed the TF10. I like the UM3X more, which is what I traded them for, but part of me wishes I still had the TF10. It is definitely a flawed phone: the mids are recessed, the whole spectrum is colored, and the treble is metallic beyond realism, but it really does epitomize, in my opinion, a "fun" sounding iem.

Talking about em kinda makes me wish I still had mine...the UM3X has been getting boring lately...
confused_face.gif

May 19, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #8,047 of 9,690
Talking about em kinda makes me wish I still had mine...the UM3X has been getting boring lately...
confused_face.gif

I'll give you a photo of mine to look at. Should ease the pain.

Unfortunately, the cable seen in that photo (for me) caused some discomfort due to the housing needing to twist slightly on insertion which would press up against my outer ear, I really liked the look visually and sound quality of that SPC. Personally was the best I've ever heard TF10, however I had to go back to stock. (damn)

I don't think I'll sell my TF10 although I have upgraded, they still hold their own and it's,actually the 2nd pair I've had the pleasure of owning. What is tempting to sell though is they hold very good resale value here in Australia fetching $180 - $190 on eBay with stock cable (with an upgrade cable even more) I guess you could look at them like a great investment.

May 19, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #8,048 of 9,690
Surpisingly it did...UM3X are the IEMs for me, and I have my X10s when I need something different...but the darkness is taking over...
ph34r.gif

It's definitely time for something new. If only someone would buy my UE900s...
Quote:
I'll give you a photo of mine to look at. Should ease the pain.

May 19, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #8,049 of 9,690
Surpisingly it did...UM3X are the IEMs for me, and I have my X10s when I need something different...but the darkness is taking over...
ph34r.gif

It's definitely time for something new. If only someone would buy my UE900s...

You'll find another pair, they won't be disappearing to quickly even though discontinued.

If you're having trouble moving the UE900 here I would recommend putting them on eBay. I usually give gear on the FS section here a couple of weeks, if I sense it's not going to move and cannot price drop any further I take the item to eBay where there's a much larger audience, and many of them don't read reviews. You'll take a small hit in sellers fee's however you can usually cover that by lifting the price a touch compared to here.

Goodluck on your journey.

May 19, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #8,051 of 9,690
I probably won't repurchase the TF10s though, being realistic. The only time I really listen to IEMs is on my 20 minute walk to work, and pushing the TF10 back in every 20 steps just wasn't worth it any more. Even tried foamies. Sure I could get them reshelled or get some kind of custom tips, but I considered that pretty thoroughly, and in the end I decided it just wasn't worth it.

I DO need a more fun, colored, v-shaped phone of some kind in my life, though; I love my HD598s for about 90% of my music, and the DT770 covers the rest easily, but I don't really have a full-on involving, head-banging can yet. Starting to think I should move the Amperior up to the top of my wishlist, ahead of the Momentum and a new IEM.

May 20, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #8,052 of 9,690
Quote:
I probably won't repurchase the TF10s though, being realistic. The only time I really listen to IEMs is on my 20 minute walk to work, and pushing the TF10 back in every 20 steps just wasn't worth it any more. Even tried foamies. Sure I could get them reshelled or get some kind of custom tips, but I considered that pretty thoroughly, and in the end I decided it just wasn't worth it.

I DO need a more fun, colored, v-shaped phone of some kind in my life, though; I love my HD598s for about 90% of my music, and the DT770 covers the rest easily, but I don't really have a full-on involving, head-banging can yet. Starting to think I should move the Amperior up to the top of my wishlist, ahead of the Momentum and a new IEM.

Some people buy a $50,000 car for that 20 minute drive to work..

I wouldn't feel too guilty about re-purposing some funds to revisit something you know you will like, especially with music. It's a timeless primal pleasure and I've spent far more money on things that give me way less return.

May 20, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #8,053 of 9,690
It's not just the money though. If I could find a pair for $150 and have them reshelled into a more ergonomic universal (maybe something Rhapsodio or Aurisonics-esque) for less than $100, I might do it, but in the end the fit wasn't worth it for me; my ear canals just aren't big enough to allow me to maintain a seal, and I don't want customs.
Quote:

Some people buy a $50,000 car for that 20 minute drive to work..

I wouldn't feel too guilty about re-purposing some funds to revisit something you know you will like, especially with music. It's a timeless primal pleasure and I've spent far more money on things that give me way less return.

May 28, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #8,054 of 9,690
Hi, I was wondering how much a pair of broken TF10s go for nowadays. The only thing wrong with it is that there's a pin stuck in the socket of the left earpiece. I would sell these to those who want them to reshell. 

May 28, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #8,055 of 9,690
Soooo......I owned a pair of SF5's since 2006 and loved 'em.  Last week I rolled over and (to my horror!) broke one of the earpieces, man was I bummed!  So I started doing the search thing for a replacement and came across the TF 10 that I truthfully, never even knew existed prior to all this happening!  I leaned towards the TF 10 primarily for 2 reasons, 1- my longtime familiarity with the UE SF5 meant that I was accustomed to the 'fit' (apparently a HUGE problem for many!), and the price, people were paying 3 and change for these when they were 1st released, I got a pair for $150! less than I originally paid for the SF5!  Got 'em off Ebay from a buyer that said he had bought them recently HERE, The box (blue with formed plastic, NOT the black that IMO is probably refurbished product) has a 2011 date so I don't think I've got an old pair (relatively speaking!).  Man, I ordered these at 2 AM Sat. morning and rec'd an EM notifying me that the seller had shipped them around 10 AM and provided me with a trkg #, I rec'd them TODAY, Tues!  Officially goes down as the fastest purchase/turnaround online I've ever experienced! (thx 2 rubbinsracing!!)

Over the weekend I spent quite a bit of time HERE on this thread.  I read 100's of posts from the beginning (2007?) and then read a few hundred from the tail-end (now) and got quite the education!  I originally was simply looking for comparisons between the SF5 and the TF10 but came away with quite a bit more!  I'm going make some points and give some impressions, being a long-time audiophile, this whole experience has been fun!

My gut feeling is that a majority of IEM users are young (I'm an ancient 59 yrs old!).  The majority of times where I've read about the unit falling apart it seems it's been due to 'youthful enthusiasm', yanking the cables, putting the phones in yr back pocket or throwing them into a backpack.  Whenever I've bought something that costs more than average, regardless whether it's an IEM or a car, if you want it to last, you treat the item with consideration.  I got my money's worth with the SF5 and fully expect the same from my TF 10's.  I ALWAYS used the metal case and traveled all over the world without problems. 

This thread's been SO informative, I wish I came by a lot sooner!  I found that the Fiio aftermarket cable I bought for the SF5 is fully compatible with my TF10 (although I'll probably give another cable a try just to play).  Ditto my T500 buds, a trick I got from this thread to clean the buds is to drop them in a sock (a clean one:wink:, tie a knot in it and throw 'em in the washer!  The absolute biggest and best tip I got was about flip flopping the earpieces!  While waiting I tried it with the one SP5,  OMG, if I'd only known!  The earpiece practically locks into position!  I've read SO MANY posts from people who either don't know how to read or stubbornly try to use these IEM's WITHOUT looping the cord over the ear, only to complain how the seal kept breaking and the necessity of re-adjusting the phones when moving.  Complaining that due to it's size it kept pulling out of their ears. It's like buying a car and only driving in reverse, the machine isn't designed to be used this way!  If one isn't willing to loop the cord, they simply shouldn't even consider these.  Another VERY interesting point I got from this thread was about polarity, when I switched the cables upon receiving my TF10's I saw that one of the earpieces was right and one was wrong (polarity), could be why the original owner was underwhelmed by the sound!  Anyhow, thx to this thread, as soon as I rec'd theTF10's, I inverted (flip-flopped) the earpieces, switched out the cable, and put on my freshly-cleaned T500's.  The earpieces are sitting more flush to my head than the SF5's ever did, the seal is perfect and the sound.......well, anyone who's read even a part of this thread knows these are superior and unquestionably an upgrade to the very well-regarded SF5.  I'm a happy man!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back