Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Nov 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #7,681 of 9,690
Quote:
Two other things to mention, is that the TF10 can be a really troublesome fit in some peoples ears. It is the only IEM I have ever owned that has given me bother trying to get a good fit with it and I am not alone in this. Also if you listen to any music that is sub-bass heavy the TF10 is not a good choice as it simply cannot reach low enough.
Other than those additional observations, Gilly87 has the comparison well summed up. Personally, I enjoy my TF10 more than my SE215, but they are nothing like each other soundwise.

I have the Excel spreadsheet from measuring the TF10 (The data behind the Headphone.com graphs, made and measured by Tyll Hertsons I believe)

The TripleFi 10 by Ultimate ears reaches 10hz just fine, and has a smooth curve up to +5db at 100hz, curving back down again and reaching -15db at 5khz... It can reach low enough, though it may not have a ton of emphasis on these frequencies if it's being compared to a bass heavy headphone. Using the EQ on either of your Rockboxed devices should enable you do adjust accordingly. Try a +10db boost at 30-40hz.

(Beyond the measurements, I've owned the TF10 for a year, listening extensively. Besides my Klipsch Image X10, it was the most 'bass capable' of the bunch. I have since moved on to an Audio Technica AD900, which is a brilliantly detailed and bright headphone (Neutral actually, but since ears hear treble better, it sounds 'bright')... It makes the TF10 sound muddy and dark unfortunately.)

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #7,682 of 9,690
I have the Excel spreadsheet from measuring the TF10 (The data behind the Headphone.com graphs, made and measured by Tyll Hertsons I believe)

The TripleFi 10 by Ultimate ears reaches 10hz just fine, and has a smooth curve up to +5db at 100hz, curving back down again and reaching -15db at 5khz... It can reach low enough, though it may not have a ton of emphasis on these frequencies if it's being compared to a bass heavy headphone. Using the EQ on either of your Rockboxed devices should enable you do adjust accordingly. Try a +10db boost at 30-40hz.

(Beyond the measurements, I've owned the TF10 for a year, listening extensively. Besides my Klipsch Image X10, it was the most 'bass capable' of the bunch. I have since moved on to an Audio Technica AD900, which is a brilliantly detailed and bright headphone (Neutral actually, but since ears hear treble better, it sounds 'bright')... It makes the TF10 sound muddy and dark unfortunately.)

I am comparing ithe TF10 perhaps unfairly to my GR07, which while the GR07 is not a bass heavy IEM, is a dynamic, and certainly the TF10 with its BA's has come up short at being able to produce sub-bass when compared to the GE07. The TF10 just seems to roll off the bottom end of the bass. While I have found the TF10's bass generally fulfilling, it just disappears into a woolly, barely existent mumble at the lower bass end of things.

Unfortunately, my TF10's are not with me at the moment, so I can't immediately test what you have suggested, but I will do so in due course.

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #7,683 of 9,690
In my experience bass can vary hugely with the TF10 depending on how good a seal you get.. or even the tips used.

TF10 bass response also acts differently depending on your source. For example, I found the bass unacceptable with a rockboxed Clip+, at the time it was my only source I thought that was how TF10 sounded. I couldn't understand why so many people praised TF10 for decent bass, it was almost a "tapping noise" I thought maybe I just like heaps and heaps of bass?? The instant I bought my Cowon S9 everything changed the bass was punchy, seperated. detailed and gained a real "bounce" appeal to it. That was the day I realised sources play a major role in an IEM's reaction.

I agree TF10 don't go very deep but the texture and punch of TF10's low end is very inviting.

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #7,684 of 9,690
^... but they do go deep! It's not an opinion, but a measured fact that the TripleFi 10 can easily reproduce sounds down to 10hz:

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #7,685 of 9,690
^... but they do go deep! It's not an opinion, but a measured fact that the TripleFi 10 can easily reproduce sounds down to 10hz:

[ATTACHMENT=327]Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 pro - Frequency Response and Square Wave Graphs.xls (2,460k. xls file)[/ATTACHMENT]

I should rephrase my answer.

They don't go very deep compared to a Dynamic or GR07. The sure downfall of BA drivers is low end roll off. They may reach low from that measurement but the quantity by then is rolled off.

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #7,686 of 9,690
^Well, the graphs are a measurement of volume, which is quantitative in nature... It may be relatively lower compared to the bass:treble ratio of other headphones and earphones, but it does go deep, does not roll off, and is not inherently inferior to a dynamic earphone simply because it is a balanced armature driver... But yes, a good dynamic may have even more deep bass.

Looking further into balanced armature driver earphones, it doesn't appear that they have any special weakness with bass rolloff. A great example is the Klipsch Image X10, whose bass rolls off less (non of them have terrible bass rolloff,) than two flagship dynamic headphones costing several times as much:

graphCompare.php

I could definitely see a headphone/earphone having more and better bass than the UE TripleFi, but it's not a shortcoming of the bass in balanced armatures, it's simply that the earphone has more bass, and may in comparison make the other sound rolled off.

Dec 1, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #7,687 of 9,690
Quote:
TF10 bass response also acts differently depending on your source. For example, I found the bass unacceptable with a rockboxed Clip+, at the time it was my only source I thought that was how TF10 sounded. I couldn't understand why so many people praised TF10 for decent bass, it was almost a "tapping noise" I thought maybe I just like heaps and heaps of bass?? The instant I bought my Cowon S9 everything changed the bass was punchy, seperated. detailed and gained a real "bounce" appeal to it. That was the day I realised sources play a major role in an IEM's reaction.
I agree TF10 don't go very deep but the texture and punch of TF10's low end is very inviting.

Definately... a good identical source from which to reference from or compare is essential. I replied mainly because, like 'Ince'... my main source is also a Sony X-series.

I dont find the bass too heavy at all using the med silicon tips I've settled on... but the larger silicon  tips really do create a better seal and more bass. After listening to them for 30 mins or so my ear canals become really waxy and seal them even more (to the extent that I have to be gentle with removing them because of the vaccum... the bass also becomes overpowering and muddies all the other frequencies which is what I suspect he may be experiencing.  
Smaller tips, Complys or even DIY memory foam tips all work best for me.

Dec 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #7,688 of 9,690
Quote:

In my experience bass can vary hugely with the TF10 depending on how good a seal you get.. or even the tips used. If you find the bass to heavy try a tip size down or even complys, as the foam/sponge type material allows the iem to breath, reducing the level of the seal and therefore the bass.

I tried many tips but I still found it bassy.  I had purchased the IE8 as it was a used one for only £60 so I jumped on it and purchased it.  I would of kept using the TF10s if not for the IE8.  When comparing the IE8 with the TF10s it is just no contest for me also the TF10s cable just anoys me.  The IE8 weakness for me is it's recessed trebles which I correct with boosting the trebles on my X-series and sound is just wow's me.   

Also I agree that the TF10s bass sounds different depending on Source.  On my Nokia E6 phone and my PC the bass just sounds very bloated.  Where as on the X-series it's more refined and less compared to the other sources. 

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #7,689 of 9,690
For those into DSPs and EQ and stuff like that, here is a TF10 EQ from me. I listen to a wide variety but I use my TF10s usually with treble happy Japanese music so I highly doubt many(if at all) will find this eq offensive. Its tuned towards neutrality with a bright/airy tilt. Happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

(Low shelve,1556.1hz,-4,1.40oct)
(Dip,3000hz,-3db,0.51oct)
(Low shelve,3597.5hz, -3.50db,1.44oct)
(Dip,6250hz,-4db,0.25oct)
(Dip,9000hz,-8db,025oct)

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #7,691 of 9,690
Interestingly the TF10 price jumped up to $200 on amazon.

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #7,692 of 9,690
Quote:
Here's some interesting tips you guy's might want to try for your TF10. Dirt cheap $1.50 for one pair.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pair-Middle-Size-IN-EAR-EARBUDS-EAR-BUD-TIPS-For-Ultimate-TF10-TF15-ie8-etc-/261121592566?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3ccc0f4cf6
(Check sellers other items for S/M/L)

Those tips look just like the ones that come with the Heir Audio 4.ai and 3.ai. They're very well made tips and have thicker stems and flanges than my Sony Hybrids, but they are also somewhat wider. This results in a better seal, but might put too much pressure on your ear canals if you already find the TF10 uncomfortable.

If you need more comfort, try the Sennheiser short double flange for something shorter (http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-6-Replacement-SENNHEISER-DOUBLE-FLANGE-Earbud-Tips-S-M-L-In-Ear-Headphone-/110976314037?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item19d6b42ab5) or foam tips (http://www.amazon.com/Medium-Earbuds-Eartips-Sennheiser-Bluecell/dp/B0055XJD0K) for something narrower. Both also compress much easier.

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #7,693 of 9,690
Thanks for the link. Those tips I ordered in the shown photo, still haven't arrived yet. :rolleyes:

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #7,694 of 9,690
Thanks for the link. Those tips I ordered in the shown photo, still haven't arrived yet. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back