Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jun 17, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #6,706 of 9,690
Quote:
The westone pins are longer than the Stock cable's, so it'll protrude out a little. You can decide not to trim it, but the protruding part will be exposed to the elements, and for me i think the protrusion doesnt look very appealing

So the pins just need to be shortened. Right? Their thickness is not an issue I suppose...
How am I going to trim them? Using just a sand paper? Is there any possibilty to damage the cable pins?

Thanks for your help!

Jun 17, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #6,707 of 9,690
Quote:
So the pins just need to be shortened. Right? Their thickness is not an issue I suppose...
How am I going to trim them? Using just a sand paper? Is there any possibilty to damage the cable pins?

Thanks for your help!

The filing is a must if you want to prevent enlarging the pins, though it is not a 100% guarantee. The shortening can be done with a set of pliers. Although pretty small, i think there is definitely a possibility they might get damaged

Jun 17, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #6,708 of 9,690
Hmm, may just be that I swapped out stock original cable with multiple other cables that I had zero issues with the Westone when I received it.  Which may explain why the stock does not stay in tightly anymore.... (just tried).

Jun 17, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #6,710 of 9,690
Jaben has a es8 cable which is a clone of the westone epic I think

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #6,711 of 9,690
The Lune cable, certainly.  The Lune cable is my favorite in that it does not have any memory effect and seems to be near impossible to tangle (other than the ear guides locking onto each other).  You do need to be a bit careful though since it can snag and possibly be bent too much that you break a conductor.  It will change the sound signature a bit from the stock V-curve so it is up to you to decide if you like the slightly more neutral signature of the Lune (I personally like it).  Would warn you against the white-ish Lune cable and just go for the all black cable since I originally made the mistake of getting the white-ish one which is a nylon fabric sleaving which can be stained unlike the typical TechFlex PET sleaving, so the black is the better option.  Also be prepared to deal the the Null Audio customer service, or rather, lack there of.  Excellent quality cable, terrible customer service.  But it is understandable with it being a single person.

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #6,712 of 9,690
Quote:
The Lune cable, certainly.  The Lune cable is my favorite in that it does not have any memory effect and seems to be near impossible to tangle (other than the ear guides locking onto each other).  You do need to be a bit careful though since it can snag and possibly be bent too much that you break a conductor.  It will change the sound signature a bit from the stock V-curve so it is up to you to decide if you like the slightly more neutral signature of the Lune (I personally like it).  Would warn you against the white-ish Lune cable and just go for the all black cable since I originally made the mistake of getting the white-ish one which is a nylon fabric sleaving which can be stained unlike the typical TechFlex PET sleaving, so the black is the better option.  Also be prepared to deal the the Null Audio customer service, or rather, lack there of.  Excellent quality cable, terrible customer service.  But it is understandable with it being a single person.

100% agree with everything you said. This really made me use my TF10 daily no matter what since I received mine from a head-fi member last month. I wish I would of got these cable years ago 

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #6,713 of 9,690
Haven't heard good things about the Jaben es8 Adrian. Thanks anyway.

So, there's another change of direction for me. I'm going for the Lune. I hope it's final. lol
What about the plug? I have the slight impression that the right angled is ergonomnicaly better but the Viablue has to be more solid, well-built and certainly better looking...

Jun 17, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #6,714 of 9,690
Quote:

I think it really depends on what you are using as your source and where it will be.  I personally went with the Viablue since it is similar if not better constructed than Switchcraft connectors which are near indestructible by standard means.  Also went with the Viablue since it is a straight plug and I use it as J3->TF10 straight from my pocket, a right angle plug would not work very well.

Jun 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #6,715 of 9,690
I will be probably getting the viablue mostly for cosmetic reasons as I believe the right angled one, would fit me better; especially when rolling the cable around my walkman... Definitely, the viablue plug looks like a million bucks to me.

And a last question: The cable which leads to the two canals (left and right) looks thiner. I'm really wondering how solid & reliable this part is.

As for the Null customer service, I've already tried a couple of times to reach them by email with no luck. I guess I will be placing my order and just wait for dispatching. 
Quote:

I think it really depends on what you are using as your source and where it will be.  I personally went with the Viablue since it is similar if not better constructed than Switchcraft connectors which are near indestructible by standard means.  Also went with the Viablue since it is a straight plug and I use it as J3->TF10 straight from my pocket, a right angle plug would not work very well.

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #6,716 of 9,690
Quote:
Going with the Viablue is a good choice since I have used multiple of the Neutrik right angle plugs for interconnects and while they are nice due to their size, they are not exactly the best constructed without some epoxy glue inside.

As for the pin portion, essentially the end is just the plastic pin holder covered by heatshrink, but it is small and sturdy enough to hold up to being pulled/pushed out/into the TF10's.

Do not expect much in terms of communication with Null-Audio, I did not receive any emails about my order until almost two weeks later saying that it would be shipping soon.

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #6,717 of 9,690
Quote:
Do not expect much in terms of communication with Null-Audio, I did not receive any emails about my order until almost two weeks later saying that it would be shipping soon.

Fisher Hearing is like that too... which is why I won't be doing any business with them.  Sent in my Heir headphones for a fit adjustment.... I called a week after I knew they had received them, just to make sure everything was ok... they said they received them a week prior, but they don't communicated unless there is a problem, or when they are shipping... they'll send an email.  Heir on the other hand, communication through out the transaction... to me, that is the way a company SHOULD be run.  The customer needs to know where their product is.

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #6,718 of 9,690

Thanks so much for all your help mate. Everything is clear now. I will be ordering my cable tomorrow!
Going with the Viablue is a good choice since I have used multiple of the Neutrik right angle plugs for interconnects and while they are nice due to their size, they are not exactly the best constructed without some epoxy glue inside.

As for the pin portion, essentially the end is just the plastic pin holder covered by heatshrink, but it is small and sturdy enough to hold up to being pulled/pushed out/into the TF10's.

Jun 21, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #6,719 of 9,690
I got a Vi cable a couple weeks back and just installed it today. Great cable! No tangling, doesn't hold bends and a skinny jack that works with my iPhone and android cases. The only minor nit is the lack of a cinch.

Jun 22, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #6,720 of 9,690
After many weeks experimenting, I've come up with what I feel is a comfortable EQ for TF10 using my J3 / S9 Cowon players.

*drum roll*

Here it is.......

Fq 80 Hz, Level 10, Normal
Fq 300 Hz, Level 1, Wide
Fq 1.1 KHz, Level -1, Narrow
Fq 4.1 KHz, Level 3, Wide
Fq 9 Khz, Level 5, Wide

BBE 3, Mach3Bass 8, 3D 3, MP Enhance off

Stereo Enhance off, Reverb off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back