Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jun 17, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #6,692 of 9,690
Hi guys.

I'm after an upgrade cable for my TF10's.
I tried to get in touch with Kevin from Null Audio but I don't have a respponse yet.
What are my other options? I need a good upgrade (under $100) yet FLEXIBLE & durable cable.
How about the "sunricky" ones on ebay? Anyone tried the Furutech which are cheap and good looking?

Jun 17, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #6,693 of 9,690
Quote:
Hi guys.

I'm after an upgrade cable for my TF10's.
I tried to get in touch with Kevin from Null Audio but I don't have a respponse yet.
What are my other options? I need a good upgrade (under $100) yet FLEXIBLE & durable cable.
How about the "sunricky" ones on ebay? Anyone tried the Furutech which are cheap and good looking?

The Westone Epic cables are quite flexible, light, and reasonably priced.  The Epic cable also keeps the TF10 stock sound signature compared to my Lune cable.

Jun 17, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #6,694 of 9,690
Quote:
The Westone Epic cables are quite flexible, light, and reasonably priced.  The Epic cable also keeps the TF10 stock sound signature compared to my Lune cable.

Thanks for your answer.
To be honest, I wouldn't want to find myself trimming the connectors. I'm not good at all at DIY and I'm afraid I will break something.... :)

Jun 17, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #6,695 of 9,690
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for your answer.
To be honest, I wouldn't want to find myself trimming the connectors. I'm not good at all at DIY and I'm afraid I will break something.... :)

Fortunately the Epic cable does not require any modification and I would highly recommend it for a replacement cable for the TF10's.  The stock TF10 cable is by far the worst cable I have ever used; keeping all the bends from packaging weeks later after multiple attempts at straightening, memory wire needing to be adjusted constantly thus removing any comfort, and then the annoying microphonics.  You should be more than happy with the TF10's, like I was, after replacing that horrid cable.

Also, I should mention that the Epic cable is very thin, using what appears to be 34 AWG wires (my smallest wire in my stash is 32 AWG and this is using even smaller wire) twisted tightly together (no glue, just twisted very very well together which does not come apart at all unless you twist in the opposite direction), thus making the cable very flexible and light.

Also, also, I can vouch for the Comply tips previously in the thread.  While the silicone tips worked for me (but not others), the Comply T-500 foam tips just made the TF10's ever more comfortable.  With the Comply tips I never had any issues with the TF10's falling out or becoming uncomfortable due to an a movement.  If you do get the Comply foam tips, ProTip: Do not squeeze the tip before you put it in your ear, otherwise you will likely block off the tip of the TF10's, making them sound muddy (my first mistake when I initially tried them(.

Jun 17, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #6,696 of 9,690
Oh mate, you made my day!! I thought I had to sand the connectors in order to fit it to the earphones but as far as you are making it clear, most of my bad thoughts have gone with the wind!

If it's lightweight, flexible and of good build quality, I'm convinced to get my pair! I'm looking at the beige coloured one!

What about the sound; any difference compared with the stock cable?

You can't imagine how I feel with the stock cable right now. I don't even have any appretite to use my beloved TF10s with this ****ty thing on them!

A comply tip set should be on its way soon as well!

Thanks for your helpo mate!

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #6,698 of 9,690
Quote:

The only issue you may have installing the cable is the same issue you may have with any other cable, getting the old cable out and the new one in since both require a bit of pressure.  But as long as you keep even pressure on both pins you can slowly pull the old cable out and push the new one in (some people walk the cable out/in, but that is putting greater pressure on a side, asking for the possibility of damaging the TF10's).  Should be warned ahead of time, the pin housing will not fit flush around the extruded pin base on the TF10, but as far as I have seen, only the stock cable actually wraps over extruded pin base since most IEM's with detachable cables have an intruded pin base for the cable to go into.

Sound wise, the Epic cable is exactly the same as the stock cable (as far as I can tell) which is great if you like the stock TF10 sound signature (I personally prefer my Lune's more neutral sound signature due to all the different genres I listen to but I do love the stock TF10 sound signature as well.)

I honestly do not understand why UE/Logitech would equip wonderful IEM's like the TF10's with such a terrible stock cable that does the TF10's no justice.

Comply tips should certainly make the TF10's more comfortable which in my case turned into hours of non-stop use only being adjusted/removed when someone needed me.  I would highly suggest using the metal case or another case as a means of transporting the TF10's if you are not already since the Comply tips can be torn up in a bag or pocket as well as any good cable like the Westone/Null Audio/FiiO (could care less about the stock cable) can be tangled and the pins bent.

And no problem.  Love helping someone else achieve audio/comfort/usability bliss with the TF10's like I did. ^^

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #6,700 of 9,690
I have already taken off the stock cable once (carefully without harming the earpieces), so I suppose I won't face any problem with the replacing procedure. 

Regarding the sound, I love the stock cable's signature (V shaped) as I listen to rock/hard rock music mostly! Initially, I had been after a Lune cable but I haven't got any response from the customer service yet and -seriously- I can't live with the stock cable anymore....! I find myself not using my TF10 due to the "ergonomic" nightmare.

I will be ordering it directly from the official site as the price difference is minor and does not worth any further "dealer" investigation I reckon...

Thanks so much for the info mate and for putting up with my English as well! Your help is much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back