Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Apr 20, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #6,425 of 9,690

Quote:
Should I do the flip mod? They look a bit big the default way...

Any reason why not?

No reason why not.. Yep, they do stick right out in default, It just depends on what works best for you and your ears. When flipped I find they go in deeper, are much more comfortable, a far better fit and more secure. I have the right one flipped in my left ear and vice versa but haven't even bothered changing the cables over from R to L... reverse stereo lol

How are you finding them so far?

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #6,426 of 9,690
Ok I'll probably do the flip mod in the next few days.

First impressions are good but havn't listened enough to tell whether I really like them. 

Gonna probably order a chris himself cable soon aswell.

Cheers,

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #6,427 of 9,690
I had a moment of revelation a few days after getting my Triple.Fis. This is what I feel good about, and what I think you guys could give a try.

I had actually done the flip mod and was rather satisfied with myself. That day, I went to take my ear impressions for my MG7 custom tips and I realised that the ear canal is at a particular angle that actually favours the original angle of the TF10s, which is to say when you insert the earphone about perpendicular to the side of your face, the nozzle points somewhat forwards, towards the eyes, right?

In doing a flip mod, essentially, to get the same angle of entry of the nozzle into the ear canal, one would have to insert the drivers sort of from behind, nearer to the earlobe, right? Does any of this make sense? Haha.

Again, this is purely my own feel, but I think in not doing the flip mod, the drivers become almost perpendicular to the face, and they stick out more, but this allows more leverage for me to push the drivers in and get a good seal. In contrast, the flip mod means the soft bone on top of my ear lobe gets in the way and pushes the driver housing upwards ever so slightly, and that makes it harder to get a good seal. 

Maybe I just have weird ears...

Apr 20, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #6,428 of 9,690
I might be really behind on this but when did they get rid of the memory wire in the cables? I just got a new cable in the post today (one of the straight-jack ones) to replace the L-shaped old one that finally broke and it doesn't have it. 

Now I have to learn a whole new way of putting them in after doing it the same way for about 4 years. The cable feels a lot flimsier too. 

Apr 20, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #6,429 of 9,690

Quote:
I might be really behind on this but when did they get rid of the memory wire in the cables? I just got a new cable in the post today (one of the straight-jack ones) to replace the L-shaped old one that finally broke and it doesn't have it. 

Now I have to learn a whole new way of putting them in after doing it the same way for about 4 years. The cable feels a lot flimsier too. 

My stock cable still has memory wire.

Apr 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #6,430 of 9,690
Calebkzh- Not 100% sure what you mean.. are you simply trying to insert them upside down without swapping over?  Remember you need to use the opposite earphone when you flip them so that you have have the nozzles pointing in the right direction.
I insert them with the cable lined up with my eyes, then twist up/round and that kinda locks them into place.. I can even go running with these in this way, very secure and comfortable for me.

Apr 20, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #6,432 of 9,690

Quote:

Strange. I wonder if this cable might be fake. It has the UE stamp and I haven't heard of fake UE stuff before. 

I believe my 1st pair did not have memory wire on the cable, but I am not 100% sure. When they broke I spoke with a CSR over at Logitech and he had me give him some numbers that were stamped on the cable. This allowed him to see that they were under warranty. I didn't send them back to Logitech, the person I bought them from swapped them out with another pair he had. This second set doesn't have any numbers stamped on the cable.

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #6,433 of 9,690

Quote:

You sure it's not the mic cable? I'd be very concerned if they were cheaping out to that extent...Next cable I get if that's the case will probably be a Chris Himself w/i one of those Valabs plugs or one of the nicer Sunricky cables(Marine Heart?). Reasonably priced and apparently well made.

Apr 20, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #6,435 of 9,690
Nope, just in a bubble wrap envelope. My fault for ordering from eBay I guess. It seems like a perfectly suitable cable and the sound isn't much different, just annoying at the reason I ordered a new one was because the memory wire in the old one broke. I've ordered one from the official UE site now so I'll see what turns up - the image there is the L-shaped cable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back