Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Apr 14, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #6,377 of 9,690
The Triplefi 10 is my first IEM worth a damn and I love it, but jesus christ it's unbearably uncomfortable. If I wear it for more than 30 minutes I usually grimace in pain taking them out, and my ears are raw for like 20 minutes afterward. I've tried all 3 sizes of the included silicone tips, and all 3 sizes of Comply TX-500 as well (yes, i know the whole drill with squeezing them first then allowing them to expand for ~10 seconds). Maybe this IEM is just not a good fit for my ear shape no matter what? What could I be doing wrong/how can I make it less painful? I ordered some Sony hybrids as a last resort but I have a feeling I'll have the same result with them.

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #6,379 of 9,690
Yeah this is ridiculous, I had them in for extra long today and now it hurts to swallow.  Can you link me a decent, low price reshell?  Also to be honest I'm not entirely sure what "reshell" is other than what it sounds like, so if you could elaborate that'd be nice

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #6,380 of 9,690

Quote:
Yeah this is ridiculous, I had them in for extra long today and now it hurts to swallow.  Can you link me a decent, low price reshell?  Also to be honest I'm not entirely sure what "reshell" is other than what it sounds like, so if you could elaborate that'd be nice

Sorry to hear that, there is an ongoing drama for some people fitting TF10. You could try wearing them over the ear, by flipping the cables over you ear turning the earpieces upside down or you try the flip flop method where you plug the right driver into the left side cable and visa versa. Just remember if you're doing  a flip flop method you must have the L / R labels on the cable plugs facing away from the earpiece when you plug them in flip flop style to get the polarity right. 

Meaning when they are plugged in now the L / R labels are facing towards the tip of each earpiece. Turn the cable around so those labels are facing away from the tips on each driver. You could opt for reshelling, but it can be expensive.

I'll let someone else explain reshelling to you.

Apr 15, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #6,381 of 9,690
I havn't done it but most people go for Inearz (Fisher Hearing) because it's the cheapest option. You have to visit an audiologist to have impressions taken of your ear, this normally cost $50-$100.

There is a chance the fit may not be right though and it may take a while to send and receive the end result but I think it would be worth it once you finally get the perfect fit.

Website - http://www.inearz.com/products/iemr-remolding/

Owner's thread - http://www.head-fi.org/t/464570/inearz-fisher-hearing-custom-remold-owners-thread/1515

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #6,382 of 9,690

Quote:
Sorry to hear that, there is an ongoing drama for some people fitting TF10. You could try wearing them over the ear, by flipping the cables over you ear turning the earpieces upside down or you try the flip flop method where you plug the right driver into the left side cable and visa versa. Just remember if you're doing  a flip flop method you must have the L / R labels on the cable plugs facing away from the earpiece when you plug them in flip flop style to get the polarity right. 

Meaning when they are plugged in now the L / R labels are facing towards the tip of each earpiece. Turn the cable around so those labels are facing away from the tips on each driver. You could opt for reshelling, but it can be expensive.

I'll let someone else explain reshelling to you.

I actually just tried the homemade hybrid technique of stuffing a decored Comply into a medium silicone, and it works beautifully and feels far more comfortable.  Been listening for a few hours actually which would have melted my ear canals if I had tried that before.  If discomfort returns I'll be sure to keep your suggestions in mind, so thank you.

As for the reshelling, that's cheaper than I expected but still far from my budget right now; perhaps in the future.  Thanks anyway.  God those reshells look gorgeous though.

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #6,383 of 9,690

Quote:
I actually just tried the homemade hybrid technique of stuffing a decored Comply into a medium silicone, and it works beautifully and feels far more comfortable.  Been listening for a few hours actually which would have melted my ear canals if I had tried that before.  If discomfort returns I'll be sure to keep your suggestions in mind, so thank you.

Mind giving me some details on how you made the hybrid tips?
Im also having a fit problem.

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #6,384 of 9,690

Quote:

As for the reshelling, that's cheaper than I expected but still far from my budget right now; perhaps in the future.  Thanks anyway.  God those reshells look gorgeous though.

I'm glad you worked something out, I was going to suggest the mod but thought with all the other tips you had tried it may not be for you. A cheap inexpensive way out of a big problem. 

Happy listening.

Quote:

Mind giving me some details on how you made the hybrid tips?
Im also having a fit problem.

Here's the mod here I showed another member a few pages back.

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #6,385 of 9,690
and if you happen to not have ear plugs or a leather hole punch lying around, here's what you can do with the stock TF10 tips:

Take a sharp knife and cut the foam off of the core of the Comply tips that come with the TF10.  Start at the end that plugs into the earpiece, work the tip of your knife into the foam right where the core starts, and work your way around and deeper until the core is cut out or can easily be ripped out.

Stuff these decored Complies into the medium silicone tips that also come with the TF10.  Stuff them in deeply so that the foam reaches the very deepest part of the silicone tip.  The silicone is slightly transparent so you can see when it's all been pushed far enough.

Put them on the TF10s and you're good to go.

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #6,386 of 9,690
This is basically why I ended up reselling them despite buying them for a substantially reduced price from Amazon on Black Friday.

Quote:

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #6,387 of 9,690
Lots of people have done reshells of their TF10s, myself included.  I was in the same boat, not happy with the fit in my ear.  Little bit of pain, constant adjustment, seal issues, absolutely useless at the gym.  I tried over 10 different tips.  After reshelling, they're awesome.  Fit is great.  I can run on the treadmill without losing seal.  No constant adjustments, no pain after extended wearing.  I don't think I'd go back to universals after this.  Checkout the Unique Melody or Inearz owner's threads for more info on reshelling.  Yes, it took 5 months and 3 UPS trips, but they were definitely worth it considering customs start out at $400.

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #6,388 of 9,690

Do you have waxy ears or dry ears? I have dry ears and the ear canal changes alot when moving my jaw. The UM56 impressions I got for the Shure / Westone didn't work out for at all. Similar to the silicone, the smacking/suction sounds were less than ideal.

As far as discomfort - sounds like you need to give your ears canals a rest. You're excited and you don't have to remove them! lol. Over the course of a week, it should get better. Again, the spongee foam tips will help you get through the break-in period (for your ears, not the phones :). I will not state the company that makes them because I really believe they need to lower their prices. Otherwise, anyone else want to start a company with me to give consumers more choice ? :)

Apr 15, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #6,389 of 9,690

Quote:
Do you have waxy ears or dry ears? I have dry ears and the ear canal changes alot when moving my jaw. The UM56 impressions I got for the Shure / Westone didn't work out for at all. Similar to the silicone, the smacking/suction sounds were less than ideal.
As far as discomfort - sounds like you need to give your ears canals a rest. You're excited and you don't have to remove them! lol. Over the course of a week, it should get better. Again, the spongee foam tips will help you get through the break-in period (for your ears, not the phones
smily_headphones1.gif
. I will not state the company that makes them because I really believe they need to lower their prices. Otherwise, anyone else want to start a company with me to give consumers more choice ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oddly enough I have waxy ears with silicone, and dry ears with foam.  I also agree that the monitors get wiggled out when moving my jaw, especially if I use a large tip.  By the way I've had the TF10 for about a month now, so I believe the break-in period should be over by now...

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #6,390 of 9,690
Chrishimself's pure silver.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back