Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Dec 1, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #4,756 of 9,690

Quote:
Amps help not because these are hard to drive but rather because they are good enough IEMs to reveal weaknesses in your source/amp chain.

Exactly!  If you can use a Line-out to bypass a mediocre amp in your source and replace it with a better, dedicated amp, these IEMs will let you heart the differences.

EDIT: Spelling (my typing sucks to day)

Dec 1, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #4,759 of 9,690
I use this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260903989951

Doesn't change the sound in any way. Made a few cables of my own and can't say I noticed a difference.

If you want to remove the cable, stick your finger nails between the cable connector and the iem housing and use your fingernail as a wedge.

Some people just pull it off and POP! the connector housing snaps off. Bad times.

Quote:
Is there any video out there that shows me how to replace the wire? Also what wire should I replace it with? Does the wire matter for sound?

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #4,760 of 9,690
Finally got to listen to these last night. I'm suprised. What an amazing deal for only $95. I honestly wasn't expecting them to replace my Shure 535 as my go to IEM, but I think they just might. I did some A/B testing on various genres, and for most I prefer the TF10.

I find the fit to be comfy. I prefer the cord length over the way-too-long shures.

I am not as disappointed in the mids as I was expecting based on opinions here.

Awesome value. Glad I bought them.

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #4,761 of 9,690
I honestly thought they were superior to the Shures in every aspect expect for mid fowardness. When my Lune cables brought the mids forward, shures were like a tier lower than these imo.

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #4,763 of 9,690

Quote:
Exactly!  If you can use a Line-out to bypass a mediocre amp in your source and replace it with a better, dedicated amp, these IEMs will let you heart the differences.

EDIT: Spelling (my typing sucks to day)

honestly, i don't understand how an amp would help other than the fact that the amp itself intrinsically emphasizes parts of the spectrum more than others

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #4,764 of 9,690
A halfway decent amp will provide a cleaner signal out of the line-out versus the headphone out, period.  In addition, some added juice can usually provide some added slam without distortion.  TF10 soundstage is definitely on the large side relative to other IEM's.  Yes, I easily prefer it over SE535.  More fun and cleaner sounding.

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #4,765 of 9,690

Quote:
A halfway decent amp will provide a cleaner signal out of the line-out versus the headphone out, period.  In addition, some added juice can usually provide some added slam without distortion.  TF10 soundstage is definitely on the large side relative to other IEM's.  Yes, I easily prefer it over SE535.  More fun and cleaner sounding.

hmm i have noticed that i can hear my computer more with the tf10s than any headphone before, maybe ill invest in an amp?

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #4,766 of 9,690
http://www.null-audio.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65

The cables are much nicer built and sturdier than the stock cables. 

I also highly recommend Beat Audio's Cables here. The built quality is unbelievable on them. There are a lot of varieties and you can try emailing Stephen to see which one he recommends. I did so and his recommendation truly transformed my IE8s.

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #4,767 of 9,690

Quote:
Thats so true, I've never heard my mixed comps sound this good before its wonderful.  Even older comps like Tranceport vol 3 mixed by Sandra Collins which I'm listening to right now is just so clear and detailed with very nice smooth and deep bass.  While newer mixes just sound out of this world good even on mp3 but it should be at the very least 192kbps but 256kbps to 320kbps are the ones that just hit hard.

I have very little music below 320kbps, I just checked, I only have 8 songs under 320kbps as of now out of 388 (yeah I know, phone is lacking so much music, used to have it crammed full) 116 of the sons out of 388 are lossless :D 

I have to say I'm pretty stoked to listen to lossless electronic on these. Gonna start of with some lossess Levels by Avicii. 

I'm interested in how they'll compete with my IE8s in the Dubstep area. I feel they are hard to top, especially with the few lossless albums I have, just jaw dropping. What do I know though, I have nothing to compare them to lol. 

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #4,768 of 9,690
Looks like the Lune cable is sold out.

I've never replaced the cables on a IEM or headphone before. Educate me if you will.

What kind of improvements can I expect? I gather that different materials will create difference sound signatures.

If I want an upgrade in the mids, I'm assuming the Lune is the way to go right (based on your post)?

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #4,769 of 9,690
Does anyone have experience with custom tips for these?  I found this thread from a few years ago:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/286841/custom-molded-earpieces-for-ue-super-triple-fi-iem-from-averysound

I'm most concerned with comfort/isolation.  The best tips I've come up with are the Monster foam supertips.  If I use a large enough size to get good isolation, they get uncomfortable after 1-2 hours (plus I find the need to constantly fidget with them as they shift).  If I use the next size down, I lose bass.

For about the same price as an acrylic reshell, these tips seem like a good substitute.  I would think silicone would be more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back