Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
May 30, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #3,751 of 9,690
May 31, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #3,753 of 9,690

They sound different from each other and its best if you let your ears decide. TF10 is the easiest and cheapest to acquire though. Maybe you can post your musical preferences at least to see if it works with the TF10.

TF10 works for most genres unless you are a mid centric guy where it doesnt shine without upgrading the cables
Quote:
UE 10, Westone 3 or SE535 guys?

May 31, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #3,754 of 9,690
Mostly i listen to hip hop, Rnb, rap, pop sometimes jazz.
I would love to experience them myself but unfortunately where i live we don't have much audio specialized stores and i am too lazy to go to another town to see for myself so i will trust you guys to give me advice on that.

May 31, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #3,755 of 9,690

Quote:
Mostly i listen to hip hop, Rnb, rap, pop sometimes jazz.
I would love to experience them myself but unfortunately where i live we don't have much audio specialized stores and i am too lazy to go to another town to see for myself so i will trust you guys to give me advice on that.

For me, I've noticed the TF10 doesn't work terribly well with electronica; I think the bass is punchy/clear, but a little lacking. With the long bass and sub-bass of hip hop and/or Rnb, you might find yourself a little let-down with the TF10 (at least, to my ears). On the whole, pop would probably sound really good, and (although there are lots of types of jazz) jazz would probably sound pretty good on the whole too. I listen to a little bit of jazz, and I find that the brass, particularly sax, sound really really good. However, I was a little disappointed on the songs with a strong bassline.

It's not like the bass is -incredibly- lacking, it's just that at the price point, and given those genres, it might just be a little underwhelming.

Edit: Reviewing your options, the only one I have experience with is the TF10. However, if you're looking at IEMs of comparable price, don't rule out the IE8. I've had a chance to listen for a while, and I was really not disappointed with any aspect of the IE8, definitely not the bass (given the adjuster dial). At least look into reviews of it and so forth if you haven't already.

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #3,756 of 9,690
I'm going to chime in and disagree with DayofCalm, no offence intended. From my personal view and of many review threads, bass is certainly not where the TF10s lack. If anything, that is their forte, the amount of bass is booming, and nice amounts in the sub bass area too. You can achieve that effect of feeling the bass rather than hearing it with the TF10s.

Having listened to a lot of rap and pop and to a lesser extent rnb and jazz, but mostly forms of electronic music, I'd say the TF10s can deal well with all of those genres with one caveat, that the if the track, has a lot of treble, I found it can be quite sharp or sibilant sometimes with vocals and so with some electronic tracks or hiphop tracks with poorly mastered vocals, I found it tough going. Nevertheless, great fun to listen to and bass heavy stuff like dubstep was an addictive joy. I guess the problems I had could have been solved with a bit of EQ, but my ipod has only presets.

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #3,758 of 9,690
Well, after some intensive use now, the stock cable on my Triple.fi 10 Pro's is failing at the connector side (the part where the cable goes into the straight connector). I contacted the company where I bought the UE's (Thomann, www.thomann.de) and they said this cable would fit my model. I asked them if they can confirm it, since I thought this cable is only for the Pro series with custom molds, and they once again confirmed that it will work with my model.

What do you think?
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ultimate_ears_ersatzkabel_f_ue_5_17.htm
196266  Ultimate Ears Ersatzkabel f. UE 5, 7, 10 and 11 Pro Pro transparent, lenght 1,7 meter

-J

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #3,759 of 9,690
Seems like UE's replacement cable for customs.

IIRC SQ for those on the TF10 is not as good. There was a thread here on TF10 cable upgrades. I would recommend ES2 though. It seems like the better choice for those who have bought it versus the standard.

YMMV.

Jun 3, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #3,760 of 9,690

Quote:
Well, after some intensive use now, the stock cable on my Triple.fi 10 Pro's is failing at the connector side (the part where the cable goes into the straight connector). I contacted the company where I bought the UE's (Thomann, www.thomann.de) and they said this cable would fit my model. I asked them if they can confirm it, since I thought this cable is only for the Pro series with custom molds, and they once again confirmed that it will work with my model.

What do you think?
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ultimate_ears_ersatzkabel_f_ue_5_17.htm
196266  Ultimate Ears Ersatzkabel f. UE 5, 7, 10 and 11 Pro Pro transparent, lenght 1,7 meter

-J

They look like the custom cables, for the official TF10 cables, I'd go to handheldaudio ( http://www.handheldaudio.co.uk/pages/catalog.asp?divitype=c&cat_id=175&pic=&root_name=Ultimate+Ears ). I'm assuming you're in Germany, these guys cover the EU and will be half the price of the custom cables. I've used both the clear and the black cable, and the clear looks nice, but the plastic remains stiff for a long time, in mine, the kinks from when it was initially folded are still in the cable and I've had them for quite a few months now.

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #3,761 of 9,690

Quote:
They look like the custom cables, for the official TF10 cables, I'd go to handheldaudio ( http://www.handheldaudio.co.uk/pages/catalog.asp?divitype=c&cat_id=175&pic=&root_name=Ultimate+Ears ). I'm assuming you're in Germany, these guys cover the EU and will be half the price of the custom cables. I've used both the clear and the black cable, and the clear looks nice, but the plastic remains stiff for a long time, in mine, the kinks from when it was initially folded are still in the cable and I've had them for quite a few months now.

They don't seem to ship to my country, nor to the country my friend lives in, so that's not really an option as I see it. Will I be unable to use the cable Thomann people recommended me?

-J

Jun 3, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #3,762 of 9,690
guys bear with me, i'm a newbie about these high-end iems (but already heard most of them)
so uh, my question is, what's the point of the UE TF10's design? It sticks out of your ear, that's it. No ergonomics whatsoever.

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #3,763 of 9,690
I can get a good fit and there's actually some reasoning behind the length, UE/JH felt that design gave the sound they were looking for. It is pretty bad overall though, I'm one of the few lucky folks who do fine (then again I have gotten a perfect fit with almost all IEMs). 

Jun 3, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #3,764 of 9,690
I guess the design gave the sound they were looking for. They needed to not only fit the 3 drivers in each earpiece, but have the sound come out nicely too...

Jun 3, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #3,765 of 9,690
So, is it worth buying these off Amazon for $200? I really want to get them now, but I'm not sure if I should wait till November to see if they have the $90 deal...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back