Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Dec 1, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #3,316 of 9,690

Quote:
Quote:
I agree; IEMs don't really benefit that much from burn in like dynamic driver and full sized headphones do; most of the change in sound comes from your ears getting accustomed to the sound signature. A lot of people get mid oriented IEMs like the SE535s or the UM3Xs and say they sound muddy at first then clear up. It's really them just getting accustomed to the sound signature.

Just to be clear on this, "IEM" and "dynamic driver" are not mutually exclusive.  There are plenty of IEMs which use dynamic drivers instead and many others which use balanced armatures.  Many people here changes after burn-in of dynamic drivers, and do not hear much change (if any) after burn-in of BAs.  The TF10s use 3 BAs, and for me the sound hasn't changed noticeably after >200 hours of use.

I always thought that earbuds with silicon tips were referred to as canalphones, while IEM was reserved for BAs. It makes sense to draw a distinction since dynamics don't need to form a seal. BAs need to be inside the ear and sealed as tightly as possible to produce anything resembling high quality sound.

Anyway, listening to some pianoconcerto now and the triple fis really shine. The lack of soundstage isn't an issue as it is in orchestral music so they can be compared to the HD 580s more directly. It might just be placebo, but I think the TF10s sound quite a bit better than the Sennheisers. I had never attempted to listen to classical music with my low-end, bass-heavy headphones before, but the extra thump really does add to the sound without being offensive in any way. The high notes on the piano sound as great as ever, the low notes are awesome, and then there is the amazing detail in the violin in the background.

Another happy head-fi customer.

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #3,317 of 9,690
hey guys. 2 things:

1.) the damn silicone tips managed to rub a spot raw in my ear.  I knew it was feeling kinda irritated, but I didn't think those soft tips could do that!.  I actually feel the scab in my ear.  ugh.  looks like I'm going to have to use the foam tips or nothing.

2.) why are ear impressions so darn expensive?  I've not heard a quote for less than $80 per ear.  at that price, getting custom's from Fisher are going to be $240 + shipping (altogether).  Not including the cost of the headphones themselves.

Quite the investment.  That's a second set of quality cans.

*sigh*

I might wind up selling both of my pairs of UE 10's.  Quite a lot of post-purchase cost to get comfort AND quality out of them.

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #3,318 of 9,690

Quote:
hey guys. 2 things:

1.) the damn silicone tips managed to rub a spot raw in my ear.  I knew it was feeling kinda irritated, but I didn't think those soft tips could do that!.  I actually feel the scab in my ear.  ugh.  looks like I'm going to have to use the foam tips or nothing.

2.) why are ear impressions so darn expensive?  I've not heard a quote for less than $80 per ear.  at that price, getting custom's from Fisher are going to be $240 + shipping (altogether).  Not including the cost of the headphones themselves.

Quite the investment.  That's a second set of quality cans.

*sigh*

I might wind up selling both of my pairs of UE 10's.  Quite a lot of post-purchase cost to get comfort AND quality out of them.

Hey nice to see another Floridian here! Now right to the point, have you tried using your insurance for this? I'm pretty sure if you have a decent one or a good one they can cover that.

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #3,319 of 9,690
What's wrong with comply tips?

The irritation in your ear is normal for when you use an IEM. You will get over it in a couple of weeks. No pain, no gain.

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #3,320 of 9,690
No, the irritation is not normal. Believe it or not,using a lubricant, namely saliva, is the way to get tips into your ears (non-foamies). I have been wearing IEMs for 6 years, and no raw skin or irritation. You have to get em wet is all, that works every time.

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #3,321 of 9,690
I tend not to like Foam tips. I don't know if it is just me but it makes the lows sound sort of muddy and the sound stage is sort of compacted. For the TF10s that's where they shine. Personally crippling the lows cripples the cans. I am probably the only one that feels that way but I must be weird lol. I do have to admit, they provide great isolation when I don't want to listen to my friends or studying. Also very comfortable. Using Triflange, for me, are the best. Great sound isolation, expanded sound stage, and retained lows, with the great consequence of discomfort. lol.

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #3,322 of 9,690
I've yet to hear the RE-0.  I have read on this thread that others also point out the recessed midrange compared to the treble and bass.  Considering what I'm hearing, that's puzzling.  I've had to turn on the equalizer to the "Treble Booster" setting to get to what I consider more of a flat response.  It doesn't quite work, since the bass is so strong.  But I like what I hear a lot more when I do this than when the EQ is off.  This is disappointing, since I hate coloring my audio source.  But it hasn't stopped me from continuing to listen to these phones.  I love the detail they present, and I like the bass compared to the Ety ER-4s.  I doubt they'll ever approach the balanced silkiness of my K 701s.  But these will likely be my go to IEMs from now on. 

Quote:
Really? To me, the TF10 have recessed mid in comparison to the RE-0

Quote:
 To me the mids are overwhelming the treble.  Maybe I'll need to play around with the fit, or simply give my ears a couple of weeks to get used to the sound signature.  Even after an hour, I'm appreciating them more and more.  But my initial impressions have not led to the eargasms I was expecting.   
I'll keep at it.  I'm sure it'll eventually snap in.

Dec 2, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #3,323 of 9,690

Quote:
What's wrong with comply tips?

The irritation in your ear is normal for when you use an IEM. You will get over it in a couple of weeks. No pain, no gain.

I find that the sound is a bit more muffled with them vs. the regular tips. The fit is much more comfortable...but I'd rather skip that trade-off if possible.  It's very noticeable when going from the regular tips to the foam tips...and at this point, I'm thinking custom impressions may be the only way for me to get normal tip sound without the discomfort during long sessions (5 hours+)

I'll try that saliva-in-ear suggestion with the silicone tips and see how that works.  if it flops, I guess it'll be customs or bust.  

I'll also look into seeing if my insurance will cover the impressions.  Not sure why they would...but I'll find out either way!

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #3,324 of 9,690
I tried them with small silicon in left ear, medium in right, with a bit of saliva. Good fit in left and perfect in the right.

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #3,325 of 9,690
you can always make your own custom molds for the 10's.
i used radians custom soft mold pair, i picked it up on ebay for 12 bucks .
so far i like it and it seems to have better isolation, but getting used to putting them in takes a bit

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #3,326 of 9,690
Does monsters foam supertips fit these? Or the shure olives? I got my ie7 foamies to fit and since it's so shallow meaning none of the sound is actually transmitted to the foam IMHO I get the best sound of my sf 5 pros from them.

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #3,327 of 9,690

Quote:
Does monsters foam supertips fit these? Or the shure olives? I got my ie7 foamies to fit and since it's so shallow meaning none of the sound is actually transmitted to the foam IMHO I get the best sound of my sf 5 pros from them.

The monster foam supertips fit these perfectly. to have the olives fit, you need to "decore" them and glue the core from the complys that come with the earphones in the olives.

Dec 3, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #3,328 of 9,690
I'm pretty certain that the Sony EPEX10A fit on the Ultimate Ears. I love those tips.

Someone a few posts had mentioned Jaben's ES8 Cable. Has anyone else heard the Triplefi with those cables? Are they quality? They look more comfortable and sturdy.

Dec 3, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #3,329 of 9,690
So I just got my pair of these today, and the first thing I noticed when I plugged them into my iPod is that they have this airy/buzzing sound in the background all the time when the iPod is on.  It's hard to notice when music is playing, but when I pause it I can definitely hear the sound.  The thing is, when I plug the sound level attenuator the buzzing goes away, but then the highs dont feel the same as normal, in my opinion.     

Is there something wrong with my pair?  Is there something I can do to fix it? Or is this the way they normally are?

I did a brief search through the thread and none of the words I searched seemed to pull up my exact problem, and reading through 222 pages isn't my forte, so sorry if this has already been asked and/or addressed.

Dec 3, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #3,330 of 9,690

Quote:
So I just got my pair of these today, and the first thing I noticed when I plugged them into my iPod is that they have this airy/buzzing sound in the background all the time when the iPod is on.  It's hard to notice when music is playing, but when I pause it I can definitely hear the sound.  The thing is, when I plug the sound level attenuator the buzzing goes away, but then the highs dont feel the same as normal, in my opinion.     

Is there something wrong with my pair?  Is there something I can do to fix it? Or is this the way they normally are?

I did a brief search through the thread and none of the words I searched seemed to pull up my exact problem, and reading through 222 pages isn't my forte, so sorry if this has already been asked and/or addressed.

If you  can, try them with a different source.  I don't hear anything when my player (iRiver iHP140) is paused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back