Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jun 16, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #3,166 of 9,690
I'm looking to buy an Ultimate ears triple fi 10 custom cable that is around 2m/6ft. Aside from Null Audio, has anyone tried the Effect-Audio Studio UE custom cables listed on ebay? They claim to use 7N-OPC with a silver-coating for their wire but I don't know if that is any good. Could anyone recommend me some other stores that also sell UE custom cables with maybe specific price ranges for a 2m/6ft custom cable? Thanks.   

Jul 2, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #3,167 of 9,690
I've recently buyed TF10, and they sound really great, but I've met with my portable audiphile friends recently, and this is what I've learned:

My DAP (YP-Z5) is loud enough (I knew it has a lot of power), but the sound is kindda dull.

S:flo2 plays nice, but is big and SW quality is questionable. The sound is... I don't know the good word... proper? Everything is on it's place, but the magic is gone. It's boring I think.

Rio Carbon kicks a**, really - listening to tf10 with it it's like sonic orgasm or sth ^^. Its old, disk operating player (though my friend succeeded in putting 4GB CF in it), and I'm looking for sth with bigger memory, flac and more autonomy. Nevertheless, I'm in the process of getting Carbon for myself.

I've liked TF10's with Sony's a84x and a82x, for their gigantic scene, and lovely spark mostly,  but they don't play FLAC's, and they don't sound as good as Rio.

Fuze/Clip is nice, but very dark and boomy. This is not the level of sflo, touch, or sony's.

I've listened to nano 5g, classic, and touch 2/3g. Nano was the best (Sony's are better), but this is Apple, so I wouldn't take it even for free.

Iriver's e50 and e200 was good, but not amazing. I think Sony's are better.

i7 was a bit better than irivers.

Roccoo B was proper, but not impressive.

The players I want to listen: iriver E10, Meizu M6 (I can buy one really cheap sth like 30USd shipped), iRiver s10, iaudio X5.

What I want: Flac, ogg(this is optional), min 20h autonomy, small footprint, min 4GB memory (more=better, flash card slot would be nice), parametric EQ maybe.
I need a player with warm and funny sound, but much detail is appreciated.
I don't want big, player with external amp. I'm travelling much, so I need it with me all the time. My other cans are recabled AKG k81dj's.
I don't have plans to buy any other cans (but i liked k181's and k271 MarkII's- if I buy one of them, they will be for home and maybe some DJ'ing).
The price is not an issue (within the lines of reason).

Please help me with this choice!

Jul 2, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #3,168 of 9,690
Have a look at some Cowon players. They have a warm and detailed sound.
I bought my  dad an "old" U5, and it is plain simple to use, has great audio quality and tweakability (parametric eq) , good battery life (25hours) and is very slim.
It plays OGG and FLAC, has good output power and you can get it up to 8GB. The thing I really like with this player is that it has tactile buttons only.

But if touch pad doesn't bother you, then the newer iaudio 9 can be interesting, too.

Jul 2, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #3,169 of 9,690
Cowon J3 all the way.  Fantastic sound, highly tweakible EQ, great touch screen, light as a feather and upgradeable memory via micro sd card.

Quote:
Have a look at some Cowon players. They have a warm and detailed sound.
I bought my  dad an "old" U5, and it is plain simple to use, has great audio quality and tweakability (parametric eq) , good battery life (25hours) and is very slim.
It plays OGG and FLAC, has good output power and you can get it up to 8GB. The thing I really like with this player is that it has tactile buttons only.

But if touch pad doesn't bother you, then the newer iaudio 9 can be interesting, too.

Jul 2, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #3,170 of 9,690
Thanks!

If J3 has the same sound as S9 (probably has), it could be it. But AFAIK it's quite big player. I think to big to my needs. I dont need big lcd, I only need ANY screen, it can be 1", but also the player should be small.
U5 could be nice.  I need to listen to it for a little while. U5 wasn't very popular in Poland. There's little feedback for it on polish sites.
i9 isn't worth it. It has unpleasant build quality. I like features of i7, but AFAIR it doesn't have good synerge with triples. More listening is needed.

BTW:
@Photofan1986: have you listened to sony's a63x, a82x? They are very enjoyable with IE8 :)

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #3,172 of 9,690
I see. for me s63x and sony sonded almost as good as carbon+tf10. I must listen to ie8 with i7.

I have next question: is there any sense in reshelling tf10 to customs? Is there any sound improvement, or maybe it's just about comfort?
Tf10 are not very comfortable, but I can listen to them for a few hours (4-6) before I'm forced to take them out for a while. I use it with Comply's, and the seal is ok, though tips are wearing off very fast (2-3weeks)

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #3,173 of 9,690

Quote:
I see. for me s63x and sony sonded almost as good as carbon+tf10. I must listen to ie8 with i7.

I have next question: is there any sense in reshelling tf10 to customs? Is there any sound improvement, or maybe it's just about comfort?
Tf10 are not very comfortable, but I can listen to them for a few hours (4-6) before I'm forced to take them out for a while. I use it with Comply's, and the seal is ok, though tips are wearing off very fast (2-3weeks)

It's more for the comfort. Getting custom shells doesn't really give an increase in sound; you do get an increase in isolation which can yield better sound in loud settings.

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #3,174 of 9,690

Quote:
I'm looking to buy an Ultimate ears triple fi 10 custom cable that is around 2m/6ft. Aside from Null Audio, has anyone tried the Effect-Audio Studio UE custom cables listed on ebay? They claim to use 7N-OPC with a silver-coating for their wire but I don't know if that is any good. Could anyone recommend me some other stores that also sell UE custom cables with maybe specific price ranges for a 2m/6ft custom cable? Thanks.   

Hi,

i'm also looking for replacement cable.

Where did you see that they state 7N-OPC with a silver-coating for their wire?
I did a quick search on ebay only to see a brief description.

By the way, what are the wire material of NULL audio cables? (Enyo & LUNE)
Are they all copper core with silver solder or copper core wire with silver coat or are they all made of silver core wires?

what replacement cable do you all recommend?

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #3,175 of 9,690
Pretty soon i'll be going on FOUR years with my Triple Fi 10. For awhile I've tried to find a headphone that matched it's sound signature. I've come close to it, but not quite. Sorry to sound cheesy, but if I wrote down on paper the kind of sound I wanted in an IEM the Triple Fi 10 is pretty much exact to what I like. As a headphone, the HD-600 is close too. Not too much of any one thing to my ears. I'd be extremely worried about getting a custom IEM from another brand because I might hate it. If I could afford it, I'd gladly pay the money to get a custom from UE. I'm not into music enough to justify paying over a grand for a IEM..yet! Maybe if they had a lifetime warranty I'd be more likely to get one.

I actually have not even used most of my original tips. I use the Comply Foam for them and don't experience any muffled sound when using them like other people have.

In the first three years I could not think of any negatives other then how they were a bit too big. I went on here and read that some people felt the mids were recessed. My reaction was like "Huh?! What!!" because I've never experienced this in any way. I absolutely hate any kind of recessed mids so I don't know what they are doing different then me. Maybe i'm deaf.

Then some say they have sibilance and again I'm thinking "What?". I can't stand headphones like the DT-880 or Grado 325i,and I've found these are nowhere near sibilant. I don't know if it's because of the Comply Foam or what. I did try some of the old inserts and the sound was much worse overall. Bad enough that I don't want to ever go back to them.

I actually switched to headphones because I got tired of sticking foam in my ears for three years. I've been listening to these for the past two days (after retiring them for half a year) and they still sound good.

This is is officially the longest I've ever owned an IEM. I have owned a pair of Sennheiser HD-555s for about 8-10 years, but just gave them away last month to my brother.

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #3,177 of 9,690
The triple fi 10 are the best i ever had, i learnt the hard way buying (and sold) other brands of IEM. It is essential imo to have foamy tips because they sound so much better with the right seal. I also owned a separate portable amp, but i don't think it's needed with the UE and my Cowon S9 player...

Aug 1, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #3,178 of 9,690

Quote:
The triple fi 10 are the best i ever had, i learnt the hard way buying (and sold) other brands of IEM. It is essential imo to have foamy tips because they sound so much better with the right seal. I also owned a separate portable amp, but i don't think it's needed with the UE and my Cowon S9 player...

For me the TF10 sound best with large monster triple flange tips 
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back