Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jun 4, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #3,136 of 9,690
Hi,
I recently bought the Westone Custom cables for my Triple.fi. The prongs on the cables are about a milimeter too long. I trimmed the length with my wife's nail file in about two minutes. The prongs are also a little larger in diameter than the origionals, so if you taper the ends they will insert a little easier. The increased diameter will also stretch out the sockets on the triples, but it sounds like your's are already stretched.
I hated the origional cables. They are heavy and the memory wire was a pain. I could never get them to seal for any period of time.
The quality of the Westone cable is excellent. They, too, have memory wire. I twisted the memory wire into a pigstail, as it emerged from the connector so I don't have to deal with it at all. It is now possible to maintain a seal and comfort for hours on end.
The replacement cables were about $40.
Sandy.

Quote:
Hmm the replacement cables I got for my TF10 doesn't exactly hold the left earphone very well. Like it pulls off way too easily.

Ugh I think I'm going to buy a third party replacement cable.

I hear some Westones are usable? Hate to be beating a dead horse but does it work? or do i need to trim it or something? I don't think I'm willing to pay 70 bucks for the cheaper Null audio let alone the 110 dollar ones

Jun 4, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #3,137 of 9,690
If your having trouble with the seal. Try Sony hybrid tips. I was going get them for my tf-10 because the only tips that worked were the comply ones. And those are expensive. My dog chew my original cable which is a good thing because it made my decision a lot easier to go into customs by Fisher Hearing. I went with the Westone cable and I'm hoping it as good as many people here say it is. And if your finding no tips works, look into customs by Fisher Hearing or UM they will provide the best fit.

Jun 5, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #3,138 of 9,690
^^ i second the post above.
Sony hybrids are excellent tips
I also have good experience with the shure black soft flex(e2c/g) model.
They are comfy, insert into the ear cnals easily and doesnt affect the sq like the foams do.
Be sure to get the correct size tho. with any other iems i use medium tips, but for the hybrids and the soft flex, i have to use the smalls, i dunno how that came to be.

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #3,139 of 9,690
Pardon me for asking, but do you guys do the flip mod for these earphones? The earphones stick out and that looks weird.
I understand that these earphones were designed to be worn in such a manner, and I've heard that doing the mod will slightly change the sound.

One further thing, how do you guys deal with microphonics? (getting to be quite irritating when I'm walking).

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #3,140 of 9,690
Guys, just a quick question.

I have a Triple.fi 10vi, and I was wondering if there are other cellphone brands that is compatible with the mic and remote button. Are there any?
It did not work with my Samsung Jet before.
Also, would the mic and remote work for the iPod Touch?

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #3,141 of 9,690

Quote:
Pardon me for asking, but do you guys do the flip mod for these earphones? The earphones stick out and that looks weird.
I understand that these earphones were designed to be worn in such a manner, and I've heard that doing the mod will slightly change the sound.

One further thing, how do you guys deal with microphonics? (getting to be quite irritating when I'm walking).

Microphonics: Wear them over the ears. I never had problems with them. Unless you mean the thumping in your head? If so that's the result of you having an acoustic seal and that can't be fixed.

Flip mod: Take the plugs out of the IEMs and switch them so the L goes into the right driver and visa versa. Then insert the IEMs into your ears backwards so they kind of.... sit flush and curve around your ears. I know this doesn't really make sense the way I'm describing it but it helps with the comfort if you can get a good fit while doing it. 

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #3,142 of 9,690

Quote:
Microphonics: Wear them over the ears. I never had problems with them. Unless you mean the thumping in your head? If so that's the result of you having an acoustic seal and that can't be fixed.

Flip mod: Take the plugs out of the IEMs and switch them so the L goes into the right driver and visa versa. Then insert the IEMs into your ears backwards so they kind of.... sit flush and curve around your ears. I know this doesn't really make sense the way I'm describing it but it helps with the comfort if you can get a good fit while doing it. 

Thanks for the quick reply. I already wear them over the ears, but I am getting a 'thump' sound whenever the wires hit against my shirt when walking.
As for the flip mod, I wasn't really asking how to do it, but rather how it would affect fit, comfort and sound.

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #3,143 of 9,690
Heh lol, seems that I'm really the odd one out.

I never have problems with the TF10's seal, actually I like them much better than IE8 and Westones' seal (I found Westones' seal to be HORRIBLE with my ears, despite most of people's acclaim). On a side note, I found Klipsch X10's seal to be really great.

And I actually like my TF10's to stick out, I think it looks cool; it really stands out
ksc75smile.gif

Flashin em is kinda like screaming to most people "Mine pwns your crappy ibuds, lol"

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #3,145 of 9,690

Quote:

I get a 'thump' sound whenever the wire hits against my shirt while walking (is that microphonics?) And I do wear them over the ears.
And, would the flip mod be recommended, and what are the upsides and downsides to it?

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #3,146 of 9,690
Ever heard of Null-Audio?.. :/ I'm kinda scared to buy from them since their service seems to be bad. I'm thinking of buying the Enyos for my TF10s. The puncture points are really scary and I'm using my Sennheiser IE8s cause they don't have a build problem.

I've read the reviews of null-audio here and they're kinda bad.

So do you suggest not ordering from them? :/ i'm kinda scared since i'm from the Philippines - the postal system is spotty. 

It says DHL Worldwide. I do hope that if i order my replacement cables, they'll make DHL deliver it straight to my house rather than me picking it up or waiting for it from our crappy post office.

Jun 6, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #3,147 of 9,690
IMO The cables are pretty good and provide an increased clarity across the entire spectrum. The TF10s get a little brighter than with the stock cables but everything just sounds cleaner right off the bat. I loved mine. 

If I remember correctly, it's only one guy making the cables at Null-Audio and it does take a while for you to get what you order. You should search around for that thread and read what people are saying there. 

But if you have 70 bucks laying around and can't think of anything else to sink that money into (amp/DAP/CDs) then the cable might be a good upgrade if you want a brighter sound. 

Jun 6, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #3,149 of 9,690
I just recently ordered a Lune cable from Null-Audio.  Although it took almost 3 weeks to receive the cable it was well worth the wait.  After placing the order I needed to make a small change (color change) and Kevin responded back right away and didn't have any problems making the change for me. Even though things were a little slower than the website said to expect I wouldn't have any problems recommending null-audio.

Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 with Sony Hybrids
Null-Audio Lune Cable
Headamp Pico USB DAC/AMP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back