Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jul 25, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #1,291 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by jma790 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, are these the tips that work with the triple.fi'??
DiscountHeadphones.com
I am talking about the large black foam ones; wich of those are the soft silicon you mentioned stevie?
I really want to buy those black foamies, someone know how their size compare to the ones included with the triple.fi's?

Hey jma, yes, the ones halfway or so down the page are 'olives'. You're sure you need large? They are big. I suppose the UE are quite large in diameter too, but the Shure look plumper...(eh?). If your ear canals are moderate size, I'd recommend mediums to start. But only you know the size of your ears! And your audiologist if you go in for such luxury (assuming there are no hearing issues.) And remember you'll have to mod olives to fit.

The clear silicons (they are harder than the soft flex, but not rigid) are just below the olives - look for the E2 ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey how do you guys clean your sillicone tips ???

i can get a good fit with these headphones, but the seal isn't there for some reason, i even tried the pull ear open mouth and it helped. but i guess i'll try again tomorrow with different tips. im using the dual flange at the moment...

Mornin' Elluzion (well, it is here, lol)
I think it's the flanges -I never could get a seal with the damn things. But I'm not a flange user for any of my phones -I find they start to itch after a short while & out they come! Pity, becuase I quite liked the Ety ER-6 ones.

Jul 25, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #1,292 of 9,690
you might want to check e-bay sites too. FOund these tips very inexpensive there through some dealers

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #1,293 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion, amps are about useless for non-iPods and high sensitivity IEMs. Soozie can stay well with her Sony and Zune.

Antony,

I guess you are right about amps making a difference for iPods (iPhones). I just received my line out yesterday (pocket dock) and finally had a chance to test out my triples with Hornet M and 6" Cardas mini to mini. I was BLOWN away.

The difference in SQ was huge. Previous to this, the triples sounded good, detailed, with good soundstaging. There were times when highs seem slightly irritating. With the amp, these things went to audiophile level and quality. The noise floor was dead silent. Each instrument and each note was defined and had authority and decayed nicely (at times seems like forever). Before amp, levels of sound were sort of flat (higher output sound and lower output sound were sort of at the same level), now you can clearly discern the various sound levels, but even the low volume instruments or sounds (with higher volume instruments or sounds going on at the same time) were very evident, with authority and weight. Before amp, I had to turn up volume to 3/4 to hear all the details and lower notes. Now, my Hornet is between 9 o'clock and 10 o'clock (low gain) and I hear everything, all details, and it is sweet. When I played classical and jazz, which I am not a huge fan of, I was completely mesmerized and wanted more. The soundstaging opened up completely...way out. A good example was Oscar Peterson, the essential. the piano, stand up acoustic bass, and drums were so separated yet came together some nicely. And the cymbals, they finally sound clear with decay vs. just tinny.

I have owned various $10,000+ stereo systems in the past (B&W Matrix 801's, Martin Logan SL3, Cary Audio SP-98 tube preamp, Sonic Frontier Line 2 tube preamp, etc.) and the sound I was getting last night came close to what I get through these systems. Obviously a different experience having music in front of you vs. going in between your ears but the sound signature was very similar.

The only thing is that it definitely tightened up the bass and maybe even taken away some bottom end. It seems like the last bottom octave is missing. An example is Holly Cole Trio (Don't Smoke In Bed), the song called 'Everyday will be like a Holiday', where the acoustic bass and sax plays at the same time, I can hear the bass go lower from regular speakers, and usually more punchy. Bass seems to not have as much punch. Please note my Hornet was purchase used with more than enough burn in time (previously owner had it for 2 years and informed me that it is well above 300 hours required for burn-in).

I am not sure if the source makes that much of a difference but I will not listen to the triples again without an amp. It would be wasting time by listening to inferior quality music. If I need portability, say going to the gym when I can't appreciate hi-fi anyway, I will just use my iPod (iPhone) buds. They sound crappy but fills my needs while on the go.

Are other sources' internal amps that much better than iPods (iPhones) that I would expect the type of sound I am hearing now through the Hornet/Triple combo? I really find that hard to believe.

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #1,294 of 9,690
I admit I was a bit confused by Tony's post, so I was waiting for his reasoning behind this: amps are 'useless for non-ipods?'
(my italics in an Italian's post -yay...)

Sorry Tony, au contraire!

I'm glad you like the Triple/Hornet synergy. That's what I have
biggrin.gif
Different source, but hey....Good innit?

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #1,295 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I admit I was a bit confused by Tony's post, so I was waiting for his reasoning behind this: amps are 'useless for non-ipods?'
(my italics in an Italian's post -yay...)

Sorry Tony, au contraire!

I'm glad you like the Triple/Hornet synergy. That's what I have
biggrin.gif
Different source, but hey....Good innit?

Not good, Stevie, GREAT. These triples are truly awesome.

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #1,296 of 9,690
my right earphone detached itself (the clear nozzle and the body) while in my pocket months ago. To make a quick rectification, i crazy glued it coz i can't wait after summer is over to go back to US and get warranty. However, once I got back, I'm thinking about claiming the warranty for that defect. Do you guys think UE will honor the warranty in my case of the crazy glue? appreciate your thought

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #1,297 of 9,690
I'm pleased, RT.

After all the moans about CS, fit, breakages, fit...oh & did I mention fit? etc, it's nice to hear a reaction that exactly mirrors mine when I first got them.

Edit\ Nump, are they in warranty? Not sure what you mean by 'get' warranty. You mean RMA?
I'd have thought if they broke while you were abroad, glueing them temporarily wouldn't necessarily void a warranty...is crazy glue what we call Superglue? ie, it claims to stick anything. Fast. Permanently?

2Edit\ BTW, DiscountHeadphones is Ebay seller iDealsound. Always had the best deals on Ebay, so hopefully that website is good too.

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #1,298 of 9,690
I ordered the large ones, because my right ear hole is a cave
biggrin.gif

I had a surgery last year, and so, my ear holes now have different sizes!!
BTW, does somebody know if the Corda 2Move would go well with the triple.fi's?

Jul 25, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #1,299 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pleased, RT.

After all the moans about CS, fit, breakages, fit...oh & did I mention fit? etc, it's nice to hear a reaction that exactly mirrors mine when I first got them.

Edit\ Nump, are they in warranty? Not sure what you mean by 'get' warranty. You mean RMA?
I'd have thought if they broke while you were abroad, glueing them temporarily wouldn't necessarily void a warranty...is crazy glue what we call Superglue? ie, it claims to stick anything. Fast. Permanently?

2Edit\ BTW, DiscountHeadphones is Ebay seller iDealsound. Always had the best deals on Ebay, so hopefully that website is good too.

Stevie, your ears don't lie. Lucky for me, they fit very comfortably with the small stock UE tips.

Jul 25, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #1,300 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by jma790 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered the large ones, because my right ear hole is a cave
biggrin.gif

I had a surgery last year, and so, my ear holes now have different sizes!!
BTW, does somebody know if the Corda 2Move would go well with the triple.fi's?

Both Stevie and I own the Hornet M and can't speak enough about how they compliment each other. You can usually find one used on these boards for relatively cheap.

Jul 25, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #1,302 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogueTrader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Antony,

I guess you are right about amps making a difference for iPods (iPhones). I just received my line out yesterday (pocket dock) and finally had a chance to test out my triples with Hornet M and 6" Cardas mini to mini. I was BLOWN away.

The difference in SQ was huge. Previous to this, the triples sounded good, detailed, with good soundstaging. There were times when highs seem slightly irritating. With the amp, these things went to audiophile level and quality. The noise floor was dead silent. Each instrument and each note was defined and had authority and decayed nicely (at times seems like forever). Before amp, levels of sound were sort of flat (higher output sound and lower output sound were sort of at the same level), now you can clearly discern the various sound levels, but even the low volume instruments or sounds (with higher volume instruments or sounds going on at the same time) were very evident, with authority and weight. Before amp, I had to turn up volume to 3/4 to hear all the details and lower notes. Now, my Hornet is between 9 o'clock and 10 o'clock (low gain) and I hear everything, all details, and it is sweet. When I played classical and jazz, which I am not a huge fan of, I was completely mesmerized and wanted more. The soundstaging opened up completely...way out. A good example was Oscar Peterson, the essential. the piano, stand up acoustic bass, and drums were so separated yet came together some nicely. And the cymbals, they finally sound clear with decay vs. just tinny.

I have owned various $10,000+ stereo systems in the past (B&W Matrix 801's, Martin Logan SL3, Cary Audio SP-98 tube preamp, Sonic Frontier Line 2 tube preamp, etc.) and the sound I was getting last night came close to what I get through these systems. Obviously a different experience having music in front of you vs. going in between your ears but the sound signature was very similar.

The only thing is that it definitely tightened up the bass and maybe even taken away some bottom end. It seems like the last bottom octave is missing. An example is Holly Cole Trio (Don't Smoke In Bed), the song called 'Everyday will be like a Holiday', where the acoustic bass and sax plays at the same time, I can hear the bass go lower from regular speakers, and usually more punchy. Bass seems to not have as much punch. Please note my Hornet was purchase used with more than enough burn in time (previously owner had it for 2 years and informed me that it is well above 300 hours required for burn-in).

I am not sure if the source makes that much of a difference but I will not listen to the triples again without an amp. It would be wasting time by listening to inferior quality music. If I need portability, say going to the gym when I can't appreciate hi-fi anyway, I will just use my iPod (iPhone) buds. They sound crappy but fills my needs while on the go.

Are other sources' internal amps that much better than iPods (iPhones) that I would expect the type of sound I am hearing now through the Hornet/Triple combo? I really find that hard to believe.

Wait 'til you hear all that through a 5.5gImod with portable v-cap. Might be four to six times better!!!!!

Jul 25, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #1,303 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait 'til you hear all that through a 5.5gImod with portable v-cap. Might be four to six times better!!!!!

Any idea if the Classic will ever be able to be frankensteined into an iMod?
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #1,304 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

TNMike, you are very evil. Now you got me thinking....feel upgraditis coming on.

Jul 25, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #1,305 of 9,690
Guys, a friend shipped me his Triple.Fi today for me to try it for one week or to, and compare to my PK1. I will be very happy to finally experience the Triple, and will report here my thinkings. It will be here tomorrow, or monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back